Sign in to follow this  
chicken

Transfer Deadline Dash - comparisons

So watching all of the chat on here about potential targets for us and those potentially being signed by rivals I thought. (stats from Wikipedia).

So to start:

Fabio Borini -----> Sunderland for £10million.

10 goals in 26 appearances for Roma in Serie A (2011-2012).

2 goals in 20 appearances for Liverpool in 2012-13.

10 goals in 40 appearances for Sunderland in 2013-14.

1 goal in 18 appearances for Liverpool last season.

Career total: 29 goals in 124 appearances.

Nikica Jelavic -----> West Ham for £3million.

2008-2011 - 43 goals in 95 appearances for Rapid Wien.

2010-12 - 36 goals in 55 games for Rangers.

2011-14 - 21 goals in 69 appearances for Everton.

2013 - now - 13 goals in 50 appearances for Hull.

Career Total: 126 goals in 335 appearances.

Dieumerci Mbokani --------> us, Norwich City loan/£5million(ish).

2006-2007 - Loan to Anderlecht, 4 goals in 9 appearances.

2007-2010 - 39 goals in 87 appearances for Standard Liege.

2010-11 - Monaco - 1 goal in 10 appearances.

2011 - Loan to Wolfsburg - 7 appearances.

2011 - 13 - Anderlecht scoring 34 goals in 53 appearances.

2013 - now, Dynamo Kiev scoring 16 goals in 33 appearances.

That''s just to kick it off.

we know what the top two are about and i wouldnt fancy either of them or their wages. That borini isnt good enough for sunderland says everything.

I would take walters, murphy and gayle ahead of jelavic or borini - any of those three for grabban is great.

mbokani I know nothing about but his attributes seem right and he will be better than hooper for the manager, so dont see we have a lot to lose.

Solving our 2 goal a game defence needs action too.

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]Jelavic certainly won''t be exciting the West Ham fans.

Borini is a decent player though. When £6m fees were being touted for him, I thought that would be a good deal for someone (even us) but £10m is maybe a bit high.[/quote]

I find this sort of strange. Jelavic looked good whilst at Everton, perhaps not top 6-8 material but his goal tally is far superior to Borini.

Borini might look good, and perhaps excels more in the hole behind the striker, but doesn''t seem to have had that cutting edge other than when he played for Roma really.

I think £3million for Jelavic is a decent gamble. If he scores 10-15 goals this season it will look like a bargain. Borini on the other hand - at £10million is a tad risky. He''s a handy little player but not convinced of his consistency at this level yet.

Football is all about opinions!

Jelavic, for me, hasn''t performed for a while, and isn''t getting any younger. I can''t see him pulling up many trees this season.

Borini''s goal return is solid yet unspectacular, but he offers more than just goals with his all round game. His wage demands may be an issue for a lot of teams though.

It is indeed. For instance, I wouldn''t call his goal return ''solid''. It''s inconsistent at best.

His all round play has often seen him deployed as a wide player to get time as well.

Id have Hooper, Van wolfswinkel and Lafferty over Borini, Jelavic and Walters everyday of the week. It''s all about scoring goals and a team has to play to their strikers strengths not be stuck in a certain style of play. I have seen Man utd played off the park under Alex Ferguson many times ,but they would more often than not come up the goals need to win the game. Play to your Strikers Strengths and they will score goals , Goals win games not style of play or Possession.

[quote user="chicken"]It is indeed. For instance, I wouldn''t call his goal return ''solid''. It''s inconsistent at best.

His all round play has often seen him deployed as a wide player to get time as well.[/quote]Two mitigating factors regarding his goal return:He has scored three in 38 for Liverpool, but how many of those were starts? Not very many, I''d guess, and that seriously damages his goals-to-games ratio. His records at Roma and Sunderland, when he was given a run in the team, aren''t bad.Also, like you say, he has been played wide a lot, and the reason for that is because his all-round game is decent, compared to someone like Jelavic, for example.

Like you said before.

However, Jelavic''s all round game doesn''t have to be as good because the way he plays tends to be good enough.

As I said before, he considers himself a striker. He has been played wider to give him game time and because he wasn''t ahead of other players as strikers because he wasn''t good enough there.

Like I said, he''s inconsistent. Good enough for Roma, who are similar in stature to Liverpool, but apparently not deemed good enough to score the goals for them.

For me, "all round game" can translate as "Jack of all trades, master of none". In other words, has he really found his position yet?

I can see his age making him worth more than Jelavic for the reasons you give, but not £7million more. In fact I would say he''s worth around £7million at most.

Glenn Murray -----> Bournemouth - £5million.

2007-11 - Brighton, in League One scoring 56 goals in 136 appearances.

2011-13, Crystal Palace in the Championship scoring 38 goals in 88 appearances.

2013-now, Crystal Palace in the premier league scoring 9 goals in 37 appearances.

Plus a loan to Reading last season where he scored 8 goals in 18 appearances.

Dwight Gayle -----> Aston Villa - Palace want £10million.

2012-13 - Peteborough in the Championship scoring 13 goals in 29 appearances.

2013-now - Palace in the Premier League scoring 18 goals in 55 appearances.

Career total: 80 goals in 158 appearances (including 42 goals in the conference north).

Virgil van Dijk ------> Southampton £11.5million

Position: CB

2010-13 - Groningen where he made 66 appearances scoring 7 goals.

2013-now - Celtic where he has made 114 appearances scoring 15 goals.

Career total is exactly what you see above!