[quote user="Indy"]Morty would you base Jerome as a proven goal scorer from last season?

I base this on his time when he played Champions League and scored goals, in Portugal and Holland, France he did OK.

So yep I stand by the fact that we paid 8.5 million for a proven goal scorer, slate him all you like he''s up there as one our best striker through their careers.

You might not like him or want him here but the fact he''s here and getting picked by the manager then great.

Rather 10 RVW''s then 1 Grabban.[/quote]Bloody hell mate, you keep pitching them, and I''ll keep batting them away.Jerome brings a lot more than goals. He harries defenders, he''s strong, he brings other players into the game, he''s a strong, tall outlet from goal kicks.How many of those things does Ricky do?Personally I''d rather have a striker that scores us the goals we need...

Yep totally different option Morty and that''s my point, how many goals this year has been scored by our strikers? How many chances have we created? We sit just behind Arsenal in that stake.

I''m not saying he should start but should be an option off the bench alongside Jerome, that could be a devastating combo to end games!

We have limited options and he must be doing something in training as he''s caught AN attention.

Time will tell but I like him as an option better than Hoopet or Grabban or Laffs, just my view.

I can understand your points and they are valid no doubt Morty.

Whether RVW is good enough or whether AN wants him are maybe secondary to the fact that he''ll likely be here until the new year. Sometimes it''s about the hand you''ve been dealt rather than the card that you''ve picked, and RVW could be a useful card to have.

Never have I seen such extreme views. Nobody seems to be sitting on the fence with this one!

I think I need to re-post some I had about 10 pages ago to add something else to the argument.......

I must be one of the few!

I do not believe RvW is the answer to all our prayers but I do not believe that he is completely useless.

I also rate our board, our current players overall, our manager, and think we''ll have a really good season!

And because I rate our manager I will back him with whatever decision he makes about RvW because it doesn''t really matter what I think of him it is what our manager thinks and what he thinks he can get from him.

I believe he played against Rotherham so that AN could get a good look at him in a competitive match so that he could get a better evaluation of him.

Obviously RvW has some ability otherwise he would not be capped by one of the top international teams. Time will tell whether that ability can be used by AN in the set up he prefers.

But, again, I seem to be in the minority because I am prepared to wait and see!

I would rather support a successful team, and I believe our team has more chance of being successful if RvW isn''t in it for all the limitations in his game I have outlined.

[quote user="lharman7"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]

No, I am not boiling the complexities behind RvW''s inability to perform down to "yes" and "no" answers.

Solely blaming Houghton is wrong. The season on loan in France where he failed again needs to be considered.

Why did St Ettiene not want to sign him?

Why is he not in the squad on PL match days if AN feels differently?

Why did AN try to sell him to Sporting Lisbon if he rates him?

Perhaps we can get behind some of the regulars who put in a good shift every week and stop pretending the sheep in wolf''s clothing is going to be our striking saviour. [/quote]
 A typical response from you Bor. Childish, ignorant, arrogant and very narrow minded!

You really need to read back on other posters real views on RvW to see that no one expects him to be our ''striking saviour!''

You also have to brush up on your spelling. Its Hughton not Houghton.[/quote]
(1) I am amused that you think my response was childish and ignorant when you asked for simple "Yes" or "No" answers to leading questions.  If that isn''t a childish way to discuss things then I really don''t know what is.
(2) I have seen several posts on this thread saying exactly that he will be our goalscoring saviour if only our midfielders could pass, if only Houghton hadn''t ruined his confidence, if only he hadn''t been loaned out last season etc etc.
(3) Houghton.
(4) Up yours.

Bor Bor Bor wrote the following post at 28/08/2015 4:05 PM:

I would rather support a successful team, and I believe our team has more chance of being successful if RvW isn''t in it for all the limitations in his game I have outlined.

Give AN a ring and let him know Bor. You may well cause him to reconsider his options.

Yellow if you read my post you will see im a sit on the fence type...simply because i have no idea how Ricky will do this season naturally. I have zero opinion on what the guy did before Alex said wipe the slate clean / give him a break.All i can say is in the few weeks since he came back he has does everything Alex required of him. Finally my personal wish is for Ricky to have a good happy season with us and enjoy himself as a team member of Norwich City. I wish this of course for every player that adorns our yellow and green colours.

Technically, the football kit "adorns" the player and not the other way around.
Van Wink, I did try but he appears to have blocked me after I advised him to deploy Whittaker as a holding midfielder against Brentford.

[quote user="Mr Wolf"]Fair enough Purple Canary, you are more informed of his performances over there than I am. Their consensus seems similar to ours as a group of fans then, with people appearing divided but the general consensus being he''s not quite up to the task. As I say, for me, I think his real issue in terms of compatibility with the British game is his lack of physicality and if he had significantly more strength he would be much more worthy of a stint in our team up front (if there was ever a need i.e. through injury etc). He just doesn''t offer enough all round for me but I don''t think it''s a lack of quality, it''s more the lack of confidence and strength. I haven''t watched a lot of French football I must confess - how does it compare on the physical side? As if you''d think it is nowhere near as physical then my whole argument is potentially flawed![/quote]I am nowhere near an expert on French football, but it is certainly not unphysical (big units such as Touré played in Ligue 1 and so did Nzonzi, to name just two). That said, I think it s generally accepted that the Premier League is more physically demanding, and probably the toughest of the five top European leagues.Of all those leagues van Wolfswinkel could have gone to, and of all the clubs, St-Etienne, a good-quality Ligue 1 side, playing in Europe and with very realistic hopes of qualifying again, looked to me about as perfect a move as he could have hoped for. If he was good enough to take the opportunity.But, a point I have made before, I don''t believe it is just a question of physique. I can think of players from the past who were not big but had such an aggressive mental attitude that it made up for their lack of weight and/or height. David Speedie, all five foot seven inches of him, was one such, Paul Dickov another. They could terrorise defences just as well as strikers several inches taller and stones heavier.

Weshooly fan, I''ll take you up on your offer. I don''t think it''s as much of a sure bet as you think. I think he could be a useful member of the squad. Not spectacular but useful.

lharman7 wrote the following post at 27/08/2015 1:55 AM:

Will put this out there especially for mrs miggins to show how pathetic his RvW ''ghost pass'' argument is,

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D46-7hGNfdQ8&ved=0CB0QyCkwAGoVChMIjqTThYbIxwIVRuimCh32JAMJ&usg=AFQjCNH91QP-jKaYrsUo0L8F58qyBLTEKg&sig2=3zMmSRNoLl9FI9Jl-bB-9w

It happens to the best of players!

-----------------------------------------------

I think I left this thread/forum alone a few days ago (on some good advice from the possible ''new'' poster ''Jibbler'') just before this thread on page 5. I noticed that Iharman7 made this mistake of assuming that I thought just because RVW made the ''ghost pass'' I then assumed that he couldn''t pass at all. Of course this is not the truth and personally I think it''s pathetic that it has even been suggested.

My argument around RVW is that he has not shown that he has the quality to play in this league. From this I''ve said his passing has not been up to scratch (along with his hold up play, pace, finishing, goals etc). To demonstrate this I included a link to one of his ''passes'' - of course this does not represent every single pass he has done, I chose it because it represents how I feel his passing can be summed up...and his time here so far (although of course this is obvious, I feel I have to explain this for lHarman7).

I have given an opinion (that RVW isn''t that good) and used his lack of ability in his passing as a significant factor of why I hold this opinion - I then gave an example of this. He doesn''t get involved in the game and when he does have the ball he''s so nervous, all he does is look to go backwards or sideways - looking for the easy pass, or the wrong one. Out of all the norwich strikers that have played since he signed for us, RVW has the least passes per game...by a long way. Furthermore, again according to whoscored his passing stats are as follows

Key passes per game over the season:

RVW

2013/14 -25 appearances = 0.5

Gary Hooper

2013/14 -32 appearances = 1.2

2014/15 -30 appearances = 0.9

Johan Elmander

2013/14 -28 appearances = 0.9

Cameron Jerome

2014/15 -41 appearances = 0.8

Lewis Grabban

2014/15 -36 appearances = 0.9

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]Sorry, but it''s delusional to think RvW will ''come good''.

He hasn''t made a Premier League squad this season.

We have far better all round strikers on our books.

We''ve been actively trying to get another striker in too.

A goal against the Championship''s worst team is hardly anything to get excited about.

I''ll donate £100 to the CSF or PUPs if Ricky gets over 5 Premier League goals this season. LDC, are you willing to do the same if he gets under £5? Genuine offer to see how confident you REALLY are of your opinion.[/quote]

My opinion is the same now as it was at the beginning of the thread - given the right service and if he gets his confidence back, he will score goals - and to that end, I think that if picked in the team, he will score more than 5 goals this season.  I won''t bet on a negative Hooly, so to that end, I''ll pledge £10 for every premiership goal he scores this season.  

And to those that disengenuously bring out the old cr*p about me - give it a rest lads, you just make yourselves look stupid [;)].

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Shut up Lakey, nobody cares what you think.[/quote][:D]

Unfortunately AN and the coaching staff do not have the benefit of the insight that daily squabbles on here can give. They are stuck with the limitations of watching and talking to the players and seeing them play and how they respond to instructions. Clearly as things stand they see some potential in RVW. Whether he makes the 25 man squad only they know, and maybe also will be dependant upon who is able or willing to sign for us. Posting up meaningless stats does not help any argument. If you watched the U 21''s game tonight you will see that City spent a large time passing back and forth, quite accurately. So what ? The goals came from the opposite type of play. One direct, two a free kick.  RVW is not as bad as made out. I trust that AN and the coaching staff can get a lot more out of him that Hughton did.

"Posting up meaningless stats does not help any argument."

Indeed, lets not let facts get in the way.

*waits for someone to give the "well,,.. well stats don''t mean anything"

1 or 2 places up for grabs (no pun intended) in the squad/18 for this week at Soton (Grabban/possibly Hooper out). I imagine at least RVW but perhaps a Lafferty or an Odjidja? None of these involved in the U21 game tonight (Odjidja/RVW played in the last U21 game and TBH I would have thought if Lafferty was in anyone''s thoughts he would have got a run out tonight?). RVW may do a job as a sub alongside Jerome if we are chasing a goal, otherwise I can''t see how he fits in. Certainly not a starter in our current setup.

Bor Bor Bor wrote the following post at 29/08/2015 12:15 AM:

lharman7 wrote:

Bor Bor Bor wrote:

No, I am not boiling the complexities behind RvW''s inability to perform down to "yes" and "no" answers. Solely blaming Houghton is wrong. The season on loan in France where he failed again needs to be considered. Why did St Ettiene not want to sign him? Why is he not in the squad on PL match days if AN feels differently? Why did AN try to sell him to Sporting Lisbon if he rates him? Perhaps we can get behind some of the regulars who put in a good shift every week and stop pretending the sheep in wolf''s clothing is going to be our striking saviour.

A typical response from you Bor. Childish, ignorant, arrogant and very narrow minded! You really need to read back on other posters real views on RvW to see that no one expects him to be our ''striking saviour!'' You also have to brush up on your spelling. Its Hughton not Houghton.

(1) I am amused that you think my response was childish and ignorant when you asked for simple "Yes" or "No" answers to leading questions. If that isn''t a childish way to discuss things then I really don''t know what is.

(2) I have seen several posts on this thread saying exactly that he will be our goalscoring saviour if only our midfielders could pass, if only Houghton hadn''t ruined his confidence, if only he hadn''t been loaned out last season etc etc.

(3) Houghton.

(4) Up yours.

(1) Your inability to respond to the questions in the manner asked of you shows just how childish you are.

(2) Please re-post these several threads which say exactly that RvW will be our goalscoring saviour.

(3) Hughton (garbage manager but he at least gets the respect of spelling his name right but then again you are childish).

(4) All for there to see again how childish you are!

mrs miggins wrote the following post at 29/08/2015 5:39 AM:

lharman7 wrote the following post at 27/08/2015 1:55 AM:

Will put this out there especially for mrs miggins to show how pathetic his RvW ''ghost pass'' argument is,

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D46-7hGNfdQ8&ved=0CB0QyCkwAGoVChMIjqTThYbIxwIVRuimCh32JAMJ&usg=AFQjCNH91QP-jKaYrsUo0L8F58qyBLTEKg&sig2=3zMmSRNoLl9FI9Jl-bB-9w

It happens to the best of players!

-----------------------------------------------

I think I left this thread/forum alone a few days ago (on some good advice from the possible ''new'' poster ''Jibbler'') just before this thread on page 5. I noticed that Iharman7 made this mistake of assuming that I thought just because RVW made the ''ghost pass'' I then assumed that he couldn''t pass at all. Of course this is not the truth and personally I think it''s pathetic that it has even been suggested.

My argument around RVW is that he has not shown that he has the quality to play in this league. From this I''ve said his passing has not been up to scratch (along with his hold up play, pace, finishing, goals etc). To demonstrate this I included a link to one of his ''passes'' - of course this does not represent every single pass he has done, I chose it because it represents how I feel his passing can be summed up...and his time here so far (although of course this is obvious, I feel I have to explain this for lHarman7).

I have given an opinion (that RVW isn''t that good) and used his lack of ability in his passing as a significant factor of why I hold this opinion - I then gave an example of this. He doesn''t get involved in the game and when he does have the ball he''s so nervous, all he does is look to go backwards or sideways - looking for the easy pass, or the wrong one. Out of all the norwich strikers that have played since he signed for us, RVW has the least passes per game...by a long way. Furthermore, again according to whoscored his passing stats are as follows

Key passes per game over the season:

RVW

2013/14 -25 appearances = 0.5

Gary Hooper

2013/14 -32 appearances = 1.2

2014/15 -30 appearances = 0.9

Johan Elmander

2013/14 -28 appearances = 0.9

Cameron Jerome

2014/15 -41 appearances = 0.8

Lewis Grabban

2014/15 -36 appearances = 0.9

Alex Neil.

Clean slate.

Part of the squad.

Recent interview.

So LDC, aka wolfshagger, will only cough up cash when RvW scores.

Shows a lack of faith, but financial logic at its best.

[quote user="lharman7"]Bor Bor Bor wrote the following post at 29/08/2015 12:15 AM:

lharman7 wrote:

Bor Bor Bor wrote:

No, I am not boiling the complexities behind RvW''s inability to perform down to "yes" and "no" answers. Solely blaming Houghton is wrong. The season on loan in France where he failed again needs to be considered. Why did St Ettiene not want to sign him? Why is he not in the squad on PL match days if AN feels differently? Why did AN try to sell him to Sporting Lisbon if he rates him? Perhaps we can get behind some of the regulars who put in a good shift every week and stop pretending the sheep in wolf''s clothing is going to be our striking saviour.

A typical response from you Bor. Childish, ignorant, arrogant and very narrow minded! You really need to read back on other posters real views on RvW to see that no one expects him to be our ''striking saviour!'' You also have to brush up on your spelling. Its Hughton not Houghton.

(1) I am amused that you think my response was childish and ignorant when you asked for simple "Yes" or "No" answers to leading questions. If that isn''t a childish way to discuss things then I really don''t know what is.

(3) Houghton.

(4) Up yours.

(1) Your inability to respond to the questions in the manner asked of you shows just how childish you are.

(2) Please re-post these several threads which say exactly that RvW will be our goalscoring saviour.

(3) Hughton (garbage manager but he at least gets the respect of spelling his name right but then again you are childish).

(4) All for there to see again how childish you are![/quote]
(1) I don''t take instruction from you and will answer questions as I see fit.
(2) I can''t be bothered.
(3) & (4) You''re a tosspot.

The level of wit seems to have deteriorated badly round these parts lately. Wit''s end you might say.

Hopefully all the PTT/PMT will be over in a few days.

Bor Bor Bor wrote the following post at 29/08/2015 3:17 PM:

lharman7 wrote:

Bor Bor Bor wrote the following post at 29/08/2015 12:15 AM: lharman7 wrote: Bor Bor Bor wrote: No, I am not boiling the complexities behind RvW''s inability to perform down to "yes" and "no" answers. Solely blaming Houghton is wrong. The season on loan in France where he failed again needs to be considered. Why did St Ettiene not want to sign him? Why is he not in the squad on PL match days if AN feels differently? Why did AN try to sell him to Sporting Lisbon if he rates him? Perhaps we can get behind some of the regulars who put in a good shift every week and stop pretending the sheep in wolf''s clothing is going to be our striking saviour. A typical response from you Bor. Childish, ignorant, arrogant and very narrow minded! You really need to read back on other posters real views on RvW to see that no one expects him to be our ''striking saviour!'' You also have to brush up on your spelling. Its Hughton not Houghton. (1) I am amused that you think my response was childish and ignorant when you asked for simple "Yes" or "No" answers to leading questions. If that isn''t a childish way to discuss things then I really don''t know what is. (2) I have seen several posts on this thread saying exactly that he will be our goalscoring saviour if only our midfielders could pass, if only Houghton hadn''t ruined his confidence, if only he hadn''t been loaned out last season etc etc. (3) Houghton. (4) Up yours. (1) Your inability to respond to the questions in the manner asked of you shows just how childish you are. (2) Please re-post these several threads which say exactly that RvW will be our goalscoring saviour. (3) Hughton (garbage manager but he at least gets the respect of spelling his name right but then again you are childish). (4) All for there to see again how childish you are!

(1) I don''t take instruction from you and will answer questions as I see fit.

(2) I can''t be bothered.

(3) & (4) You''re a tosspot.

Lol, must have hit a nerve!

Sad (and childish)!

[quote user="ron obvious"]The level of wit seems to have deteriorated badly round these parts lately. Wit''s end you might say.

Hopefully all the PTT/PMT will be over in a few days.[/quote]

Tell us a joke then, Ron. Help us back to the right path.

[quote user="ron obvious"]The level of wit seems to have deteriorated badly round these parts lately. Wit''s end you might say.

Hopefully all the PTT/PMT will be over in a few days.[/quote]

Tell us a joke then, Ron. Help us back to the right path.

Reading people trading insults is tedious.

On someone''s comment earlier, you''re spot on, RVW currently doesn''t fit into our team as a starter. He''s now got an opportunity to make an impact from the bench and show that he can fit in to the first team. He''s got to work hard and see where it gets him

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Shut up Lakey, nobody cares what you think.[/quote][:D][/quote]I haven''t read all the Lakey posts for obvious reasons but i take it the victim card has been played ?