Good for RVW last night and good for us. That goal is exactly the kind of goal that you would be expecting RVW to

score. Good runs and an early ball in. In that situation he can be a

lone striker.  That kind of ball in is what Beckham was so good at, an

early curling ball in round the back of the defence for the striker to

run in to.  Now we all know that ball never arrived in his first season

for whatever reason (Hughton/Snodgrass) but if played to his strengths

and with good quality early balls in, RVW will score plenty.

He is probably low on confidence at the moment, and could improve if he plays more games.

He could thrive on one of Neil''s principles - quick attacks and crosses. Whatever part of his leg last night''s goal came from, he was quickly into position and controlled the ball. I agree with LDC that the service Wolfie received in his first season was often not very good, and frequently not in front of him, or even level.

In another respect, however, he does not seem to fit in with Neil''s preferences. The manager seems to prefer a single striker, supported by a number 10, and unless he chooses other methods, which may become necessary if we fail to sign new strikers, a single striker''s role is not really that of RvW, with the need to use strength and pace and headers.

Surely everyone was pleased at his goal last night, and surely everyone would be delighted to see our team able to supply a fully confident RvW properly. This has to be one weapon in our armoury!

Really rooting for the guy as he''s a proper professional. Not once has he moaned about how he''s been treated etc. But I think he could fit Alex Neil''s system. Yes, he''s not strong, but he''s a tall lad at 6''1 and has shown before that he''s half decent in the air. (Mainly thinking of his first goal and then the terrific save from McGregor).

AN may be able to help him improve his hold up play etc and with decent service into the box and/or balls played in behind he should do well. He''ll never be a big Cam Jerome knocking into players, but he has just as good work rate, IMO

RvW''s tweet last night shows he maintains a great attitude: RickyvanWolfswinkel ‏@RvWolfswinkel9 · Happy to be playing/scoring again. Keep working hard and my time will come. Thnx for the support!! Much appreciated!! #Ncfc

He could be the perfect foil in a counter attacking situation against a team such as one of the top clubs who are pushing us back.  A fast incisive break and an early ball for him to run on to is the kind of thing that he would be good at, as shown last night and there has never been a question about the intelligence of his runs, just the act that under Hughton, he stopped doing them.......

Can''t see AN wanting him here with the way he currently sets up his team - unless the club fail in the final days of the transfer window to bring in the type of striker(s) he wants.

AN probably viewed last night as a chance to put RVW in the shop window. Possibly with a view to being loaned out again, should NCFC find a club willing to pay his high wages.

Of course the irony of the Grabban situation may mean RVW will get to come on as sub against Southampton on Sunday. If he was to then score an important goal (wishful thinking, I know) who knows how things might change?

I read his tweet but the !! bit suggested he was having a moan at those that have written him off.

Can''t be good for a player to hear his fans chanting "on the pitch of Ricky scores", that is mocking him, or could be perceived that way if not.

I think more of us need to show him support on Twitter for last night.

He may not be suited to the premier league, he may not have been suited to playing under Hughton, but he''s still our player and deserves our full support whilst he''s here.

We need to show him more support?!
I don''t know any other set of fans who would be so accomodating for a striker that failed completely in first first season after an 8 mill move, only to go on loan the next season whilst we''re in the Championship, to also fail there (albeit slightly less so than the season with us).
And whilst I agree he seems to have a positive attitude, it''s hardly anything exceptional, is it? Reality is he turned down the opportunity to go back to Sporting because they couldn''t match the wages he''s on. Of course he''s happy, he get''s praised to the hill for a tap in against Rotherham and still picks up 40k a week!
I sincerely hope last night kick-starts his career with us, but I hugely doubt it.

Really do hope RVW can kick on now at NCFC just to shut up some of the positivity sapping leeches on here!

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]I read his tweet but the !! bit suggested he was having a moan at those that have written him off.  .[/quote]
Don''t think so, he''s not the type to moan publically.

Our current system involves a front man holding the ball up and bringing the midfield into play. RVW is physically not up to that challenge. The only way you might get value would be to play a 4-1-3-2 where he plays off Jerome.

Isn''t that the point Bor, at some point this season we will have to change our system to fit certain games or during the game.

If all our forwards are the same, we have no plan B, bit like with NA was in charge?!?

Quick early crosses into the box and he will score, for his first season we had Snodgrass dawdling up the line, cutting back onto his left foot and floating in crosses to the opposition ''keeper.

Either that or he is more prolific when playing in hoops...

Like Hooper I''d only expect him to be used as a sub when we are behind and we go 4-4-2, like against Palace. Though tbh, I''d still expect RVW to go if we get an offer.

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]Isn''t that the point Bor, at some point this season we will have to change our system to fit certain games or during the game.

If all our forwards are the same, we have no plan B, bit like with NA was in charge?!?[/quote]
Yes and no, to be honest.  We can change our system with several effective midfield options - throwing on a fairly lightweight and not overly pacy striker wouldn''t be my first choice if I wanted to "change it up".
Listening to Canary Call last night, you''d think we''d never endured a season of his headless chickening.

If van Wolfswinkel gets into the 25-man squad it will be because we are stuck with him and not because we want him. Fans seem to have forgotten that virtually our first move this summer was to try to get rid of him, and there is no sign that anything has happened since to change Neil''s mind on the question of the player''s abilities.

Well odds are he''s going to be on the Bench for the next game... unless our only sub striker is going to be Lafferty. If RVW can come on and score as a sub the building blocks will certainly be there for him to rebuild his career, and for us to see some sort of return on that 8M investment.

all of which is unlikely to happen, but you never know. Everyones (well, most, if you ignore that "supporters" on here) is willing him to come off this season, and it looks like he may really get the chance for it.

Is it not irrelevant he was 8mill?..or how he played 2 seasons ago under Hughton?..or what he was like with St. Etienne?..my point is Alex "wiped the slate clean" with Ricky..meaning nothing what happened prior to Alex coming in had any importance. But fans of course are allowed their opinions and their memories. I for one view what Ricky does under Alex Neil..not concerned with the previous seasons. So far the guy has everything Alex asked of him. Alex is pleased with him. What role he has under Alex in the future we will find out.Ricky is a likeable guy, hes Norwich City and he has not let Alex down in any way. Im happy for the guy and happy he plays for City.

there was a definate lot love for the guy from the terraces last night which was great, and he showed his gratitude and respect to the fans at the end which was even better.

I am gutted as I missed his strike, taking my son to the toilet :(

[quote user="Essjayess"]Is it not irrelevant he was 8mill?..or how he played 2 seasons ago under Hughton?..or what he was like with St. Etienne?..my point is Alex "wiped the slate clean" with Ricky..meaning nothing what happened prior to Alex coming in had any importance. But fans of course are allowed their opinions and their memories. I for one view what Ricky does under Alex Neil..not concerned with the previous seasons. So far the guy has everything Alex asked of him. Alex is pleased with him. What role he has under Alex in the future we will find out.Ricky is a likeable guy, hes Norwich City and he has not let Alex down in any way. Im happy for the guy and happy he plays for City.[/quote]

as far as form goes, I agree the last two seasons are irrelevant for RVW, however I can''t agree with the price tag. He was our record signing and still is (apparently) our top earner. and so far he has not been worth what we paid for him or what we are paying him. He can overcome this, but it needs to happen.

I was disappointed with Ricky last night. To me, he just doesn''t look up for or up to it.

Whilst his positional play seems good, time and time again, the midfield looked for other options than playing the ball to Ricky. To me, this tells its own story.

I was delighted when he scored and hoped he''d really push on and fight tooth and nail for another. But he didn''t. It all looked very half hearted.

[quote user="Kingston Yellow"]Whilst his positional play seems good, time and time again, the midfield looked for other options than playing the ball to Ricky. To me, this tells its own story.[/quote]Yes, it shows that his teammates aren''t on the same wavelength at the minute and unless they play together more regularly with RvW, they probably never will be.I''m of the opinion that if a striker is making all the right runs but is not being passed the ball, the issue isn''t with the striker, but the players who are not giving him the ammunition despite his good runs...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Kingston Yellow"]Whilst his positional play seems good, time and time again, the midfield looked for other options than playing the ball to Ricky. To me, this tells its own story.[/quote]Yes, it shows that his teammates aren''t on the same wavelength at the minute and unless they play together more regularly with RvW, they probably never will be.I''m of the opinion that if a striker is making all the right runs but is not being passed the ball, the issue isn''t with the striker, but the players who are not giving him the ammunition despite his good runs...[/quote]
Yep, of course, all our players are in the wrong.
Fer, Snodgrass, Howson, Johnson, Redmond, Odjija, Tettey, Hoolahan, Hooper, Elmander don''t know how to supply Ricky, the devastatingly brilliant striker.

Basically hooper is getting moved on because we could get no acceptable (to both us and him) offers for rvw. Neither of them are very suited to the lone striker role, so would always be a plan b/c, and therefore one of them has to go as its pointless having them both on the bench/ in the stands.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Kingston Yellow"]Whilst his positional play seems good, time and time again, the midfield looked for other options than playing the ball to Ricky. To me, this tells its own story.[/quote]Yes, it shows that his teammates aren''t on the same wavelength at the minute and unless they play together more regularly with RvW, they probably never will be.I''m of the opinion that if a striker is making all the right runs but is not being passed the ball, the issue isn''t with the striker, but the players who are not giving him the ammunition despite his good runs...[/quote]
Yep, of course, all our players are in the wrong.
Fer, Snodgrass, Howson, Johnson, Redmond, Odjija, Tettey, Hoolahan, Hooper, Elmander don''t know how to supply Ricky, the devastatingly brilliant striker.
[/quote]
To be fair, it''s not like they get the chance to train with him every day.