Sign in to follow this  
Essjayess

Will We Have Any Defensive Cover Left?

Just seen reports that 3 championship clubs are interested in taking Elliott Bennett..if that happens im very concerned about our defence and the back up we have. Ok assuming Olsson gets fit soon we have young Toffolo and stop gap Brady, but look at the rest..We have let Cuellar, Michael Turner and Miguel go. we have brought in Wisdom. Our regulars are Martin, Whittaker and Bassong. If we let Elliott Bennett go we only left with Wisdom and Ryan Bennett. All we need is a couple of injuries at the back..Seriously, never mind the striker circus transfer gossip, its the defence that is a much more worrying thing to my eyes.

I think it''s obvious we are after a CB, which will mean 2 players for every position. Don''t really need any more than that.

LB Olsson, Toffolo (Brady if needed)

LCB Bassong, New signing

RCB Martin, R. Bennett

RB Whittaker, Wisdom

There is some justification in the concern. We have not yet kept a clean sheet, and many of the goals conceded have been from defensive errors and absences.

I am disappointed that we have not signed a strong CB, but comforted by the thought that Olsson and Mulumbu should be playing soon. The immediate concern is the fact that opponents find our fullbacks easy to get past, and while Olsson will improve things on the left, we hope, I am not yet convinced by Wisdom as a defender on the right.

[quote user="York Canary"]I think it''s obvious we are after a CB, which will mean 2 players for every position. Don''t really need any more than that.

LB Olsson, Toffolo (Brady if needed)

LCB Bassong, New signing

RCB Martin, R. Bennett

RB Whittaker, Wisdom[/quote]

I would seriously question whether at least two of the above are of premier league quality. It is obvious that we needed at least two centre backs of sufficient quality to enhance our options and (as a result) survival chances. Our failings in this respect could be very damaging.

Or you''re an old tosspot who''s taken the early opportunity to slam a young, upcoming manager who so far has done a fantastic job for our club.

[quote user="Buh"]Did you spend your winter heating allowance on crack again wiz?[/quote]Brilliant reply Buh.  [IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-045.gif[/IMG]

The stupid old buffoon is running around all over this site getting in as many anti club posts as possible before he flounces off again claiming he is the victim here.

Can you be a victim of self inflicted abuse?

May as well stand in the Lower Barclay and start singing an Ipswich song (if they have one of their own) and then claim you''ve been victimised when everyone starts pointing fingers singing "Who are you...."

I wouldnt worry about defensive cover , we need a defense first , should have released the likes of Martin and Whittaker as soon as the season ended , they are no more than average at Championship level and totally out of their depth in the top flight , but being polite and having a nice smile is enough to get you a starting berth at this club .Will we ever step up and make a go of it as a top flight club , i thought this year we were going to have a good stab at it but in truth we look relegation favourites on and off the pitch .

I think the cover does stretch across positions but we absolutely need at least one more in.

Wisdom spent all of his youth, and his international career at 16s, 17s, 19s, and 21s at centre back. It wasn''t until he broke into the Liverpool first team that he started playing there. Factor this in with the fact we have a defender playing centre back who played the majority of his career at right back, and I would have hoped the sensible choice with Whittaker out is that Wisdom comes into CB, Martin out to RB and Whittaker has to earn his place back.

However, these are two players that have been used at their "unnatural" positions for over a few years so would expect Wisdom to just slot in at RB.

I would assume that the boards thinking would be along the lines of

Left back is happy to be:

Martin Olsson, Robbie Brady, and Harry Toffolo (in that order)

Centre Backs will be:

Russell Martin, Seb Bassong, New signing, Ryan Bennett, and Andre Wisdom (in that order give or take with RB&AW)

Right Back will be:

Steven Whittaker, Andre Wisdom, and Russell Martin (in that order)

So the actual numbers of people I think are fine, it''s the quality they can offer in each position that is the question mark.

We can argue the merits and failings of the Centre Backs but I do have genuine concerns that who are they going to drop? Bassong who is clearly the better centre back but is prone to lack of judgement/complacancy, or Russell Martin who is club captain and offers loads to the club and players around him?

Unfortunately I would put my money on Bassong, but surely in the best interests of the club''s survival it would be Olsson, Bassong, New Signing, R. Martin

Howson,Understand your logic, but we get one injured/suspended CB and the same at RB, then we have no bench in either of these two positions. That is way too risky!