Sign in to follow this  
Hog

Erik Sviatchenko....

My guess is that we simply run out of time on this one, which makes it all the more frustrating as he is affordable and seems to want to come to England. For us to sign him by 6pm, we would need to have agreed a fee, physically got the player over here for a medical and then agree personal terms. This is a big ask unless he is already here. Welcome James Collins instead?

Essentially we are now down to UK based CBs who are not wanted by their clubs (and even then we are very tight on time re medicals etc). Steve Cook is first choice for Bournemouth, so we are now beginning to look a little desperate. Given that we have had all summer to find a CB and we let Turner go a week ago (presumably on the basis that we had a replacement confirmed) I really don''t get why we have boxed ourselves into such a ridiculous corner.

How are we down to only UK based centre backs? Even though other windows are closed for incoming transfers outgoing are still possible. Also Europe is pretty small and can fly players in from most places in very little time. Even if we can''t technology means we can communicate across vast distances very easily negotiating with a player whilst they fly in or even without them ever leaving their respective countries.

DC,Your are correct, but with less than 7 hours to go would you really bet any money on it. Even if we have agreed fees for foreign players, door to door travel time from say Italy is going to be a minimum of 4 hours, then a medical will take at least an hour. Unless the club has played a master stroke, it really does look like we have run out of time, hence the desperate move for Steve Cook (if this is true).

MP,I don''t, hence my reference to the club playing a master stroke.But let''s look at the evidence:1. The selling club in Denmark have not announced we have agreed a fee. Indeed, the noise coming out of Denmark is that we are below their valuation (familiar story).2. There is no noise at all about the Danish CB being here locally.3. We are desperately trying to get first choice CBs from our direct competitors (Steve Cook if true).I am gambling man, and I wouldn''t bet anything on this coming off.

The moan is about our strategy not this player. We have known all summer that we needed to strengthen at CB - ideally more than one player. Yet here we are with just over 6 hours left of the window looking desperate. This is not clever, whatever the underlying reasons. If Wisdom has been brought in as a RB (which seems to be the case), we are down to 3 CBs. With the departures of Miquel, Cuellar and Turner, I had assumed we had a deal confirmed (why else let Turner go especially) and I hope that the club very much has a player waiting to be announced this afternoon. If not, let''s pray that Bassong doesn''t get injured.

Hows about waiting to 6pm and then pressing the panic-button?You said yourself you dont know whats going on behind the scenes. there are many factors involve in purchasing a player. Think about the mbokani deal, we''ve been rumoured to be after him since June? Brady deal took a while to iron out as Hull wanted 15m.Fair play if we have no-one by 6pm it will be worrying, but hows about enjoying the ride until the bell tolls?

[quote user="neongreenjon"]Hows about waiting to 6pm and then pressing the panic-button?You said yourself you dont know whats going on behind the scenes. there are many factors involve in purchasing a player. Think about the mbokani deal, we''ve been rumoured to be after him since June? Brady deal took a while to iron out as Hull wanted 15m.Fair play if we have no-one by 6pm it will be worrying, but hows about enjoying the ride until the bell tolls?[/quote]

Probably the most stupid thing I have ever read.

OP voiced reasonable concern about the transfer window strategy. It has not been working so far.

6 hours left, and with bids for Steve Coook (STEVE COOK!!!) it is fair to say it is panic all over.

And then this master genius tells us it is best to start panicing at 6 pm.

Let me tell you, genius, that at 6 pm, no panic will help at all, as the window is shut.

If we are to panic, it is better to do it now, while there is time left :)

Cereberus I wouldn''t bet on anything because we just don''t know. Sometimes players don''t have medicals, very risky I know. Also there is the potential to do a medical in whichever country the player is in. I''m sure we could afford to pay for the facilities and Dr to do so. Either way it''s going to go to the wire and I will be glad when the window is closed so we can just enjoy watching the football again.

Agree with Lynn - AN thinks he''s back in Scotland buying 2nd hand cars. Kicking the tyres and generally thinking he''s clever when he''s not.

Every manager has a weak point - nobody''s perfect now we know AN''s weak point - it''s negotiating for players ! Thinks he can go in with a trade in to get the price down !

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="neongreenjon"]Hows about waiting to 6pm and then pressing the panic-button?You said yourself you dont know whats going on behind the scenes. there are many factors involve in purchasing a player. Think about the mbokani deal, we''ve been rumoured to be after him since June? Brady deal took a while to iron out as Hull wanted 15m.Fair play if we have no-one by 6pm it will be worrying, but hows about enjoying the ride until the bell tolls?[/quote]

Probably the most stupid thing I have ever read.

OP voiced reasonable concern about the transfer window strategy. It has not been working so far.

6 hours left, and with bids for Steve Coook (STEVE COOK!!!) it is fair to say it is panic all over.

And then this master genius tells us it is best to start panicing at 6 pm.

Let me tell you, genius, that at 6 pm, no panic will help at all, as the window is shut.

If we are to panic, it is better to do it now, while there is time left :)[/quote]Resorting to personal attacks because I''m not panicking like you? Very mature friend.Like previous poster said, what is the point in panicking over something we have no control over? Or do you have an over inflated opinion of yourself in which you believe the Board of directors are going to think "oh S***, Grefstad is panicking that we haven''t signed a defender, quick reach for the cheque book".Fair play to debate any short comings after 6pm, but me joining the "omg something is wrong" side of thinking isn''t going to change naff all

[quote user="Six Pack"]Agree with Lynn - AN thinks he''s back in Scotland buying 2nd hand cars. Kicking the tyres and generally thinking he''s clever when he''s not.

Every manager has a weak point - nobody''s perfect now we know AN''s weak point - it''s negotiating for players ! Thinks he can go in with a trade in to get the price down ![/quote]

This sums up the idiocy that exists on this message board. Do you really think that after a day on the training ground AN is wheeling and dealing with other clubs Directors regarding the prices we are prepared to pay for their players?

How is the money being offered for these players or the price point at which NCFC starts its negotiations anything to do with AN?

^ bang on

Sick of these people that have accounts on here just to vent about transfer deadline day

Like a swarm of flies that lasts a day.

Idiots

[quote user="Six Pack"]Agree with Lynn - AN thinks he''s back in Scotland buying 2nd hand cars. Kicking the tyres and generally thinking he''s clever when he''s not.

Every manager has a weak point - nobody''s perfect now we know AN''s weak point - it''s negotiating for players ! Thinks he can go in with a trade in to get the price down ![/quote]
What a strange post. Quite obviously AN doesn''t negotiate for players. That job belongs to other people.

Neil will identify targets with the board/recruitment and then they do the rest??

The other issue too is that you can''t just buy everyone and see what you''re left with after. Bidding for a player and them requesting more money can open doors to bid for different players in the higher pay bracket.

Got to remain confident