Sign in to follow this  
Steelsilver

Virgil van Dijk is expected to join Southampton in the region of £11.5m and he’s already passed a medical

a snip at that price i would have thought 14m, it just shows our lack of ambition that niether of the 2 top defenders we tried for we were really serious about. Our defence is a shambles and if we fail to fill that today then sorry we are looking at relegation and before you yell its too early..go back a few days to sunday and our opening match and tell me one good thing about our current (non-existance) defence.

11.5m would be a snip if they signed Rooney, how ever they are signing a defender untested at the top level so 11.5m is a calculated risk. I do wonder if people actually realise how much money that is. £11,500,000 is a lot of money I keep seeing figures thrown around in here like they a mean nothing. Let''s see some perspective that will be around about 10-15% of the club''s total income this season.

[quote user="Steelsilver"]a snip at that price i would have thought 14m, it just shows our lack of ambition that niether of the 2 top defenders we tried for we were really serious about. Our defence is a shambles and if we fail to fill that today then sorry we are looking at relegation and before you yell its too early..go back a few days to sunday and our opening match and tell me one good thing about our current (non-existance) defence.[/quote]

There all very nice guys and none of them has forgotten thier mums birthday.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]The money''s irrelevant. He would never have come to a newly promoted side.[/quote]

^^^  This. He wouldn''t have been at all interested. Like it or not, Southampton vs Norwich  now in the eyes of players as well as finances-they''re nearly out of sight.

Plus the bonus attraction for him of working for Koeman. Which would make a difference to most players anyway.

[quote user="Steelsilver"]a snip at that price i would have thought 14m, it just shows our lack of ambition that niether of the 2 top defenders we tried for we were really serious about. Our defence is a shambles and if we fail to fill that today then sorry we are looking at relegation and before you yell its too early..go back a few days to sunday and our opening match and tell me one good thing about our current (non-existance) defence.[/quote]

If he was given the choice between...

a) Playing for a manager who was Dutch defensive legend Ronald Koeman in a Southampton side that came 7th last season

b) playing for a newly promoted Norwich

Which do you think he''d pick?