Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

The squad and the transfer window

++++++++++++++++++With a week to go in the transfer window a current squad list might be useful. This includes Redmond in brackets but omits all the other U21 players, on the basis that none seems close to being anything like a regular member of the league matchday picture. Goalkeepers : Ruddy, Rudd, Kean (3). Right-backs : Whittaker, Wisdom (2). Left backs: Olsson (1) (Brady as cover). Centre-backs: Bassong, R Bennett, Martin, Turner (4) (Wisdom as cover). Right-wingers: E Bennett (1) (Redmond being U21). Left-wingers: Brady (1). Central midfielders:  Andreu, Dorrans, Howson, Johnson, Mulumbu, O’Neil, Odjidja-Ofoe, Tettey, Hoolahan (9).Strikers: Grabban, Hooper, Jerome, Lafferty, van Wolfswinkel (5).

The total comes to 26 relevant players, but that includes four (marked in red) whose Carrow Road futures look highly questionable, because of age or form or generally not being thought up to Premier League football.In addition central midfield with nine players (allowing that a couple can and may play wider) seems very well- (over-?) stocked. It would perhaps not be a surprise if Odjidja-Ofoe left, temporarily or permanently.But, if Wisdom is regarded as adequate cover, then the goalkeeping, full-back, central defence, wide midfield (apart possibly from the right) and central midfield areas all seem potentially settled.The obvious conundrum is up front, with only three players in whom the manager seems to have any confidence (although he may need more time to assess Lafferty) – hence the number of strikers in whom we have already been seriously interested. That there have also been rumours about Hooper leaving makes it even more difficult to predict who the four we need will be come next Tuesday.

+++++++++

The squad now is:Goalkeepers : Ruddy, Rudd, Kean (3).Right-backs : Whittaker, Wisdom (2).Left backs: Olsson (1) (Brady as cover).Centre-backs: Bassong, R Bennett, Martin (3) (Wisdom as possible cover).Right-wingers: E Bennett (1) (Redmond being U21).Left-wingers: Brady (1).Central midfielders: Andreu, Dorrans, Howson, Johnson, Mulumbu, O’Neil, Odjidja-Ofoe, Tettey, Hoolahan (9).Strikers: Mbokani (subject to work permit), Grabban, Lafferty, Hooper, Jerome (5).That makes 25, with central defence looking undermanned, central midfield by contrast crowded, and perhaps one too many strikers, so scope to bring in at least one more player provided we can offload an equivalent number.

I think we could see several exits either on loan or permanently. The likes of E.Bennett, Andreu, Lafferty and Hooper are linked with various teams. I''d be interested to see if Johnson might be sold too for a decent price, but we''d need a replacement and I can''t see who we''d go for at this stage with the likes of Sako and Antonio already leaving (the latter to West Ham it seems).

As we are, I agree with those that say an extra CB is needed. Other than that I am happy enough to go as we are.

Despite this, if anyone is sold we will need a like for like replacement. For instance, if Grabban is let go we simply have to have another striker lined up.

I just can''t wait for Olsson and Mulumbu to get back. Be nice to have a fully fit squad to choose from and those 2 are certainly starters

Goalkeepers : Ruddy, Rudd, Kean (3).

Right-backs : Whittaker, Wisdom (2).

Left backs: Olsson (1) (Brady as cover).

Centre-backs: Bassong, R Bennett, Martin (3) (Wisdom as possible cover).

Right-wingers: E Bennett (1) (Redmond being U21).

Left-wingers: Brady (1).

Central midfielders: Dorrans, Howson, Mulumbu, O’Neil, Tettey, Hoolahan (6).

Strikers: Mbokani (subject to work permit), Grabban, Lafferty, Hooper, Jerome (5).

That makes 25, with central defence looking undermanned, central midfield by contrast crowded, and perhaps one too many strikers, so scope to bring in at least one more player provided we can offload an equivalent number

So we''re down to 22 now plus Redmond who doesn''t count towards the 25?

[quote user="York Canary"]Goalkeepers : Ruddy, Rudd, Kean (3).

Left-wingers: Brady (1).

Central midfielders: Dorrans, Howson, Mulumbu, O’Neil, Tettey, Hoolahan (6).

Strikers: Mbokani (subject to work permit), Grabban, Lafferty, Hooper, Jerome (5).

That makes 25, with central defence looking undermanned, central midfield by contrast crowded, and perhaps one too many strikers, so scope to bring in at least one more player provided we can offload an equivalent number

So we''re down to 22 now plus Redmond who doesn''t count towards the 25?[/quote]I was waiting untill confirmation or otherwise of any late deals, but not necessarily. Since Odjidja-Ofoe''s loan is only for a month, and given the loss of Andreu and Johnson from central midfield, he may still be included in the 25. As Andreu is being loaned out until January he will not be.

Defence looks a bit thin, one or two injuries there spells trouble. Whittaker has limitations at Premiership level, jury''s still out on Wisdom, Elliott Bennett at right-back is a big risk, Martin is average for this level, Bassong''s the best we have, Olsson is reliable but needs protection (Brady?), Toffolo needs to gain experience, Ryan Bennett is (still!) unproven and struggles for fitness.

Midfield is strongest area but lacks craft. Surprised to see Johnson leave but perhaps Championship is his level? He sees Olsson coming back soon, Howson, Dorrans, Tettey, Brady, Mulumbu and possibly O''Neil + Odjidja-Ofoe ahead of him. Can see his point of view. Ofoe on loan makes sense, he needs game time and I think we''ll see him play a part this year. Not sure what the situation is with other possible loans inward but someone like Pritchard for No. 10/Hoolahan role is needed.

Up top, Jerome deserves his chance but I don''t believe he''s the man to score the 12+ goals needed to be competitive. Hopes looked pinned on Mbokani. I feel sorry for Hooper, I wonder does he regret moving to Norwich. Van Wolfswinkel move makes sense for all concerned. Not too concerned about Grabban situation as I think he offers even less than Jerome but expect to see him in or around the bench soon enough.

For me, a solid and experienced centre-back was required and another no.10 to challenge Hoolahan would also have been good. Loan market? Need to stop conceding from set-pieces and become a bit more clinical with chances. To stay in the Premiership this season, defence needs to have good luck with injuries with a Tettey/Mulumbu shield in front setting up Redmond, Brady and Hoolahan. Exciting times!

Final list.Goalkeepers : Ruddy, Rudd, Kean (3).

Left-wingers: Brady, Jarvis (2).

Central midfielders: Dorrans, Odjidja-Ofoe, Howson, Mulumbu, O’Neil, Tettey, Hoolahan (7).

---Ahead of any other loan deals out that makes a squad of 24, assuming Odjidja-Ofie is also included. And since everyone else has given their opinion...

Ideally in a transfer window you plug any gaps/provide cover and improve quality. But the first priority for us

has to be to plug gaps/provide cover. We achieved that early on, with

Kean as third goalkeeper, Wisdom at right-back and in central defence,

Brady at left-back and left-sided midfield while - by common consent -

improving the quality of central midfield with Dorrans and Mulumbu.A

poster here a week or so back said we shouldn''t have got in any of

those five players but just spent the supposed £20m we had available on

£10m each for a quality centre-back and a quality striker. Who was going

to play left-back for the first four games, or come on when Whittaker

got sent off, or play left-sided midfield when Olsson came back, or cover for midfeild injuries and suspensions, was not

explained.Since then we have brought in Jarvis, who may be past

his best but we were overloaded in central midfield and undermanned on

the wings (given that Elliott Bennett seems not to be now, if he ever

was, quite good enough for the Premier League). Selling Johnson and

acquiring Jarvis looks weird, but in terms of matchday selection makes

sense to me (with one caveat to follow). And Mbokani, who will find it

hard to be anything but a significant upgrade on van Wolfswinkel.

Keeping Grabban means we still have the lone striker who was generally

preferred by Neil to Jerome until the sending-off at Rotherham.A rational analysis would be that the squad now has no obvious gaps, has a

much better balance of numbers between central and wide midfield, and

has been upgraded in midfield and up front. But that central defence is

no better than it was, and not as good as it should be. The caveat over

Johnson is that it seems as if he may have been sold to bankroll another

deal on which we were counting, for a centre-back or striker, which

then fell through. If so, that is careless. We didn''t, I think, need to

have money left over. But on balance this has been a successful transfer

window.

Its been a window that will see us relegated , it even looks like a mid table Champs side on paper . No ambition and no money spent yet again , cannot wait for Delia to do one and let this club get a bit of pride back .

PurpleCanary: Note Odjidja-Ofoe has gone on loan to Rotherham.

You definitely need to have 4 CB''s in all honesty, so I certainly am worried there. Plus I genuinely would have liked an improvement over Martin, but hey. We obviously tried with players like N''Koulou, Koulibaly and the lad from Denmark.

Jarvis is underwhelming, but cover I guess. I really would have been impressed with Pritchard or Nathan Dyer. If Redmond or Brady get injured then we''ll lose a lot of pace and creativity.

As for being upgraded up front, we''ll have to see what Mbokani brings. As you say, it''s hard for him to be anything but a massive improvement on RvW..or he could be another Kei Kamara! (obviously this is unlikely given his pedigree and record). AN was trying to improve further with Walters, Gayle etc. but unfortunately this didn''t pan out either.

So all in all, slightly disappointing as AN was trying to do much, much more, but we''ve ended up with the basic cover we needed bar that CB position.