Sign in to follow this  
Crafty Canary

Kamikaze Approach?

Given the failure to bring in a new CB I wonder if AN feels the best form of defence is actually to focus on a larger midfield to support the lone striker and try to outscore teams

It could be argued that as we are likely to lose to the top 6 anyway that we should put out sides containing the fringe players and rest the regulars for those games where there is a realistic prospect of points.

A high risk strategy to be sure but I cannot see this defence being the Rock on which results can be built.

Should do the world of good for the confidence of the club coming away from Man City /United Arsenal etc with a double figure defeat.

Whits

Wisdom

Martin

Bassong

Bennett

Olsson

Brady

He might rate them more than you Crafty. But either way we didn''t need any squad fillers. If we bought another one he needed to be better than those we have. And he obviously rates Martin, Bassong, Bennett and Wisdom as all better than Turner. So that''s where the bar has been set.

I agree we needed quality in a CB signing to improve our defence. I doubt AN has no concerns over the defence as too many goals are conceded and many of these are described by AN as sloppy.

One improvement would be to play Bennett alongside Bassong. Martin, Whittaker and Wisdom could then provide great competition for the RB position.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]I agree we needed quality in a CB signing to improve our defence. I doubt AN has no concerns over the defence as too many goals are conceded and many of these are described by AN as sloppy.

One improvement would be to play Bennett alongside Bassong. Martin, Whittaker and Wisdom could then provide great competition for the RB position.[/quote]

We don''t have to sign anyone to make that change Crafty. Those players are all at the club. Perhaps he''s not bright enough to work it out?

Now don''t play the silly @rse Nutty. I feel Bennett is a better CB than Martin and should be given an extended run to show it. He was a first choice CB at the start of last season before he was crocked by the scum at Poorman Road. Clearly AN likes Martin but not enough not to try and get a better one in. As he couldn''t I''d like to see Bennett given a run of games.

Hmm..most goals conceded by a club in the 38 matches Prem is 89 held by Derby County from 7 or 8 seasons ago..maybe worth a few bob for that to be beaten this season >.>

Martin was first choice at the start of last season. Bennett came on as sub against Blackburn and the played against the binners to combat their hoofball but unfortunately got injured.

I think Martin''s quality at centreback. I think he reads the game exceptionally well. He was asked about it last week and he was a centreback before he was a fullback. Bassong rates him and says they have a great understanding. But like with all players if we could get someone better we should. I can live with that. What I don''t like is when people seem to believe just anyone is better than our players. The quickest way to relegation is to immediately replace the team that got you promoted.

There is no point saying that AN did  not think that we needed another centre back as we patently tried to sign several.Some were reportedly over £10 million so its not as if we didnt see it as a priority.We tried and failed to buy a centre back and we tried and failed to bring in a mobile striker despite having 2 months to do so.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 02/09/2015 5:52 AM:

Whits

Wisdom

Martin

Bassong

Bennett

Olsson

Brady

He might rate them more than you Crafty. But either way we didn''t need any squad fillers. If we bought another one he needed to be better than those we have. And he obviously rates Martin, Bassong, Bennett and Wisdom as all better than Turner. So that''s where the bar has been set.

That bar has been set very low then!

nutty, the problem with our defence is if any guys consistently have a run of bad games there is hardly anyone to replace them. What most fans  wanted was 1 or 2 new quality defenders to add to our existing defence. Alex always has said if a player does not perform in the first team then someone can replace him. I wouls like to know how thats feasible with our  defence, especially with an injury or two and a suspension, we would be down to the bare bones defence wise.

[quote user="lharman7"]nutty nigel wrote the following post at 02/09/2015 5:52 AM:

Whits

Wisdom

Martin

Bassong

Bennett

Olsson

Brady

He might rate them more than you Crafty. But either way we didn''t need any squad fillers. If we bought another one he needed to be better than those we have. And he obviously rates Martin, Bassong, Bennett and Wisdom as all better than Turner. So that''s where the bar has been set.

That bar has been set very low then![/quote]

It''s where it is. Alex neil always played Martin in front of Turner. And Bennett for that matter. So bringing in players no better than them would be foolish. I think the biggest gulf i can see tonight is that our football club and Alex Neil rate our players better than most of the posters on here. We shall see who''s right. But if It''s Alex the posters won''t lose their jobs.

Will he still be here at Christmas?

[quote user="Essjayess"]nutty, the problem with our defence is if any guys consistently have a run of bad games there is hardly anyone to replace them. What most fans  wanted was 1 or 2 new quality defenders to add to our existing defence. Alex always has said if a player does not perform in the first team then someone can replace him. I wouls like to know how thats feasible with our  defence, especially with an injury or two and a suspension, we would be down to the bare bones defence wise.[/quote]If Bassong gets injured or suspended we have no left sided centre back.

Ideally we''d have another centreback. Even more ideally we''d have one better than Martin and Bassong. As we are now it looks like Wisdom covers Martin and Bennett covers Bassong. We shan''t really know until or unless the situation occurs.

Has Wisdom been written off already?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Ideally we''d have another centreback. Even more ideally we''d have one better than Martin and Bassong. As we are now it looks like Wisdom covers Martin and Bennett covers Bassong. We shan''t really know until or unless the situation occurs.

Has Wisdom been written off already?

[/quote]Bennet, Martin and Wisdom are all right sided, right footed centre backs, we really shouldnt be in this position.

But we are Molly. Where I can see that we tried to bringin another striker and loan out Hooper. I can''t think which left footed defender we missed. This defence seems to be a matter of choice.

Right now Wisdom is covering Whittaker, so Martin isnt allowed to get injured lol. We had 3 full months to scout suitable defence additions. we had enough finance  to i would have thought but the club failed. Cannot blame it on any 1 person, just think the club as a whole failed badly. Seems like in the last couple weeks up to deadline they put great effort into getting Koulibaly or NKoulou, but really, im just  mistyfied how we failed to get anyone in whilst letting Turner go.

[quote user="Essjayess"]Right now Wisdom is covering Whittaker, so Martin isnt allowed to get injured lol. We had 3 full months to scout suitable defence additions. we had enough finance  to i would have thought but the club failed. Cannot blame it on any 1 person, just think the club as a whole failed badly. Seems like in the last couple weeks up to deadline they put great effort into getting Koulibaly or NKoulou, but really, im just  mistyfied how we failed to get anyone in whilst letting Turner go.[/quote]

Were those two available for transfer? Did they move somewhere else? Are they left sided? I had never heard of them. These windows must be a nightmare to deal with. I''m glad I just cleaned bogs and called the odd game of bingo...

I have seen Matt Jarvis play against us and he looked good that night causing us quite a few problems. but that was a few years ago...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Martin was first choice at the start of last season. Bennett came on as sub against Blackburn and the played against the binners to combat their hoofball but unfortunately got injured.

I think Martin''s quality at centreback. I think he reads the game exceptionally well. He was asked about it last week and he was a centreback before he was a fullback. Bassong rates him and says they have a great understanding. But like with all players if we could get someone better we should. I can live with that. What I don''t like is when people seem to believe just anyone is better than our players. The quickest way to relegation is to immediately replace the team that got you promoted.

[/quote]

Martin is useless as a CB.