Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Disappointed with the Johnson sale but the defence is the issue

I am as surprised as anyone that we flogged Johnson. It seems a strange sale and I worry about its impact on team morale. Other than that though I still think the midfield looks strong enough (he wasn''t going to start much anyway) and we just hope Mbokani can provide the more clinical finishing we need.

However the biggest, most inexcusable failure in this window is, for me, the failure to strengthen the defence and it could well relegate us. If you consider we lost Garrido, Cuellar, Turner and Miquel then we have actually weakened this area quite a bit. Not in terms of the starting line up perhaps but certainly the squad. As others have commented we are now one Bassong injury away from real trouble and even with him fit serious doubts hang over the ability of Martin, Whitaker and Bennett at this level. It really beggars belief that we did not spend decent money on a first choice centre back early in the window. As if was, we appear to have started lodging huge bids late in the window for unrealistic targets or players who were not sold on a move to us. The approach appears to have been a shambles and the failure to address this deficiency in the squad is bordering on negligent.

Agreed Jim;

The midfiield is stronger (Mulumbu, Jarvis & Brady all better than the alternatives & £6m for a BJ who was unlikely to make the bench ahead of Howson once Mulumbu & Olsson fit is great business)  we have moved RvW on and taken a punt on Mbokani also looks to have marginally improved the attacking options.

However defence,  and in particular the centre backs,  needed real improvement from the current ball watching options.   We are already conceeding at 2 goals a prem game and losing soft goals every match,  incl in the league, against middle table sides, that does not augur well.

It is a glaring and shocking omission.     We will have to go with what we have and pray they can improve,   but there is no evidence to suggest that will happen.