Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Good luck Alex Neil...

I can totally understand the vast majority of the indignance on here tonight - I think even the most staunch supporter of the board will struggle to say it''s been a positive window. However, move on we must, and we still have one of the brightest young managers in the game steering the ship. Maybe his inexperience in the transfer market was a factor in our lack of acquisitions; maybe it wasn''t. Likelihood is we''ll never know - even if Neil was let down by the ubiquitous ''football board'' and the rather uninspiring Lee Darnbrough, I think he is still smart enough to know which side his bread is buttered and that if he can achieve safety with this squad his stock will rise still faster.Despite all the disappointment, look back to the squad that Lambert assembled for his first assault on the Premier League, and what we''ve got on the books doesn''t look all that bad; the key is the tactics and motivation employed by the man at the top. In that regard, I am still optimistic. Yes, the defence looks weak, and we''re one or two injuries away from a real crisis, but the way Neil has set up to play clearly values dictation of tempo, attacking intent and outscoring the opposition. We may still lack a goalscorer of proven top-flight quality, but one thing this team has achieved under Neil is chipping in goals from all over the place. We''ll probably take a few hidings along the way, but every time I see our full-backs bombing into the opposition area I remember how I missed that brazen attacking intent under you-know-whooton.I''m hugely disappointed tonight, but by the time the international break is done and dusted we have no option but to support what''s left of our team, and I for one still believe that Neil has the nous to drag us to safety. If we''re stuck adrift in 20th position at Christmas then we can look back on the window and apportion blame accordingly, but please let''s get the rants out of the system in the next few days and then get behind ''the boss''. He deserves our unflinching support irrespective of what has happened during the window - his strength is clearly in motivation and tactics, and I just can''t see us getting buried in this division with him at the helm.

If we lose hope, what else do we have? Everything Neil says and does exudes confidence. That in itself is something to be mindful of.

I''m just glad it''s over Wolfie. They can board the thing up for good for all I care. I''d hate to be a footballer amongst all this. Grabban could have wrecked his career. Likewise the lad at West Brom. BJ''s hopefully got what he wanted. And deserved for sticking with us last season.

I should think we missed out on two that we would have ideally got. But I think this is a far better transfer window than 2013 when everyone was ecstatic. Cameron McGeehan nailed it for me on Canarycall when a caller was whining about giving RVW a chance because our strikers aren''t good enough. Cam said RVW had a whole season of chances in 2013 and it was time to give a chance to the guys who got us back up. We still have those guys plus we''ve added quality to them. Roll on the next game....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I''m just glad it''s over Wolfie. They can board the thing up for good for all I care. I''d hate to be a footballer amongst all this. Grabban could have wrecked his career. Likewise the lad at West Brom. BJ''s hopefully got what he wanted. And deserved for sticking with us last season.

I should think we missed out on two that we would have ideally got. But I think this is a far better transfer window than 2013 when everyone was ecstatic. Cameron McGeehan nailed it for me on Canarycall when a caller was whining about giving RVW a chance because our strikers aren''t good enough. Cam said RVW had a whole season of chances in 2013 and it was time to give a chance to the guys who got us back up. We still have those guys plus we''ve added quality to them. Roll on the next game....

[/quote]We''re going to get relegated, Nigel.

[quote user="Strawman"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]We''re going to get relegated, Nigel.[/quote]

That''s the spirit[Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Strawman"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''s the spirit[Y]

[/quote]Well, at least we''ll be back where the Boards ambitions continue to show we belong, Nigel - In a Division we are capable of winning and arguably more entertaining [Y] Wembly was a cracker [:)]

[quote user="Strawman"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Strawman"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''s the spirit[Y]

[/quote]Well, at least we''ll be back where the Boards ambitions continue to show we belong, Nigel - In a Division we are capable of winning and arguably more entertaining [Y] Wembly was a cracker [:)][/quote]

Well that''s spoiled the rest of the season for me.[:''(] It''s a long time ''til next August and I''m not getting any younger[sn]

Still, at least I''ve still got the U21 games. Will they have a decent season[:^)]

On second thoughts don''t tell me. Leave me a little excitement ....

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Strawman"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Strawman"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''s the spirit[Y]

[/quote]Well, at least we''ll be back where the Boards ambitions continue to show we belong, Nigel - In a Division we are capable of winning and arguably more entertaining [Y] Wembly was a cracker [:)][/quote]

Well that''s spoiled the rest of the season for me.[:''(] It''s a long time ''til next August and I''m not getting any younger[sn]

Still, at least I''ve still got the U21 games. Will they have a decent season[:^)]

On second thoughts don''t tell me. Leave me a little excitement ....

[/quote]It''d be really cool if Neil doesn''t prove to be one of our growing line of managers who choose to ignore the youth.The lack of signings would suggest so [Y]

Very difficult to blood youth players in the first team in the premier league.  Toffolo should get his chance this season and I hope either of the Murphies do too.  Apart from that, our young manager is something of a natural manager and gets the best out of players - so whoever he picks, I can see them doing well.  

Simply AN not enough experience as manager and not managed enough good players.Great manager for us but biggest minus for him must be transfer window''s.

Already 2 gone and he simply not deal good enough in them.

Still good squad lets see how team will react vs Bornemouth very imp game imo.

I dare say there''s been some sort of falling out , that would explain Sundays game when nobody seemed to put much effort in  , Bradley Johnson saying he was sorry things didnt work out for him at Norwich but he does not hold any grudges also seems to back this up , they are not the words of somebody who wanted to move on . Alex Neil will have to work miracles to keep us up now and i think Sunday rather dispelled the thinking that he is some wonder manager who can win any match at will .

The squad is undeniably populated with better players now than it was with Lambert''s first go at the Prem.

The key difference is that Lamberts team had an outrageously good mind set and was a squad that really fought for each other, the fans and the team. There were plenty of leaders which kept the team fighting even after a few big defeats. It''s a cliche, but there was always that feel good mentality around the fans and the players on the pitch.

While I haven''t seen a lot concrete to suggest fallings out in our current squad, the Grabban situation combined with the selling of a popular squad member and leader (Johnson) to be replaced by loan players is disconcerting to me.

I just don''t see us staying up after last night, because we are a defender short and didn''t get the striker in we needed. Especially our defence seems very lightweight. One injury to Bassong and we are ****ed. I really hope Mbokani comes good for us , but don''t expect too much! I saw him play for Andrlecht when I was in Belgium a few years back. Strong striker, but not better than Jerome imo... Long hard season is my prediction and relegated at the end of it

Agree that an injury to Bassong would be disastrous, and also agree that the spirit in the squad may not be as galvanised as we''d like to believe. However, Neil has made it abundantly clear that he''s in charge and will not tolerate dissenters; maybe BJ challenged his authority?

Irrespective of that, it''ll be interesting to see how the harmony (or otherwise) develops if we have a couple more bad performances and/or results. I think we''ll score enough goals - Neil has shown that his tactics yield goals from right across the pitch.

Massive, massive challenge for Neil - I believe he can do it, though.

[quote user="Liquidator"]The Ege Bamyasi album cover is not something I thought I''d see here. Kudos.[/quote]

Cheers Liquidator - I knew at least one person would recognise it. Gold star to you, sir :)

I''ve been saying all along that AN could keep us up with the squad we''ve got, but without BJ it will be harder. I hope Mbokani can keep up his record of a goal every 2 games.

But for people saying that Sunday''s game exposed AN''s limitations-we were playing away against a very good side who finished 7th last season-and I don''t know if you noticed that we had a player sent off?