Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Ten Games Into The Season

Just for fun, I took my rose-coloured glasses off, determined who I think will be in the top half of the table this season, looked at the fixture list for the first ten games for those teams, responded to my gut feel rather than applying analysis ( kind of like doing the pools where analysis seems to work no better than the non-scientific route ), and came up with a points tally of who I think will be leading the pack at the ten game mark. This is the play-off pack I arrived at for that point in time:

Leicester         24 Pts

Leeds             22 Pts

Crystal Palace  20 Pts

Wolves            20 Pts

Derby              20 Pts

Reading           20 Pts

Sheffield U       19 pts

Incidentally, although I give Norwich good points for a bright start, I see them struggling a little in some of the ensuing games and only have them on 15 points at the ten game mark. I was not overly concerned about this as I think it may be a reality check against expectations that may be running a little high at this point on the fan front. Further, if Nigel tends to start off demonstrating some of his past traits, e.g. sticking with non-performers too long, allowing the team to play too deep in their own half etc., then such a reality check could cause the club to rein the problems in early and realise, finally, that we still have failed to tackle an essential area that needs improvement, namely coaching. Hope I''m wrong and the Canaries leave everyone in their dust from the outset. 

[quote]Just for fun, I took my rose-coloured glasses off, determined who I think will be in the top half of the table this season, looked at the fixture list for the first ten games for those teams, responde...[/quote]

If I may say so, what a total pile of brown stuff!.

Your worst post ever, and thats saying something!.

A good, realistic/pessimistic analysis, and I''m sure you will be slated for it.

I, however, completely agree. And I think the attitude that we are going to walk this league is a very, very dangerous one indeed.

As you rightly point out, it''s a matter of whether Nigel has learnt from past mistakes.

[quote]... and i thought your nemesis was the pessimist !! put your rose-tinted glasses back on, PLEASE. p.s. do you have The Samaritans on ''Friends and Family'' ?[/quote]

Your PS Fillet, is a bloody classic mate, I nearly wet myself, okay, I did!.

Soton are a team who i think will suffer early on. They have been a prem side for a very long time and may take time to adjust. Teams like Sheff U know how things are and are experienced. So i agree that they will be up there

[quote]Just for fun, I took my rose-coloured glasses off, determined who I think will be in the top half of the table this season, looked at the fixture list for the first ten games for those teams, responde...[/quote]

Just for fun!! that post in on a par with touching your privates with a soldering iron....."just for fun"!!!

15 points would worry me.  Of the 1st 11 games 7 are at home, with that sort of home advantage if City do not get to 20 out of 33 points then something somewhere will be seriously wrong, even allowing for the fact we will have played Soton, Palace, Ipswich Leeds and Reading.

Equally I will be very surprised if any side gets 24 out of 30 points - this league is too competetive with too many ''shock'' results week in week out to allow for such a split league.

OTBC   

I Know that 24 points looks like a lot after 10 games Zippers but, if you look at the tables for the past several seasons, it''s not unusual for some team  to get such a fast start, even when the league is thought to be competitive and given shock results. Sometimes the team with a fast start after ten games keeps the pace up ( Portsmouth in 2002-2003 with 28 pts ) and sometimes the fast starter trails off ( Sheffield United in 2003-2004 with 25 pts ). With respect to your comment about Norwich needing to get at least 20 pts from the first 11 games, my thoughts would have them winning the 11th game and being on 18 pts. Not a great gap really at an early stage.

As I said, however, my reason for having a little fun was a gut check versus too many posters ( in my view ) who are going into the season with very high expectations, in some cases believing we are untouchable with Ashton and McKenzie popping goals in by the dozens. When things fail to materialise in such a fashion, this message board will then be inundated by input from those same posters with hand-wringing verbage wondering what''s wrong at Carrow Road, led no doubt ( as always ) by my friend the Wizard.   

After our performances in the Friendlies - which, no matter what slant people put on it, we SHOULD be winning - 15 points will be a bonus! 

YC , pessimistic, but judging by the players body language in the pre-season debacle.  You may well be right. For myself the missing link is in the coaching expectations, mentioned by myself and others on these boards on many occasions.  I would like someone like Clive Featherby on the coaching books, some one who is prepared to drive himself while coaching, to the limit.  He is not a coach with a college degree in PT licenced to hide. He would not be looking for an easy time in the luxurious comfortable indoor gym, and is much in style of a young Ron Saunders.  If people were hiding, and taking pleasure in it, he would swiftly introduce some afternoon ten mile sessions, and he would be in the front of the pack running his heart out, and showing them what training really is about. How it hurts!!!!

Oh my, beelsie, you must have been a drill sergeant in a past life. I do agree, however, that given the attitude displayed by some of today''s well paid athletes in professional sports, that it begs for an invention such as a time machine that transports these spoiled young men to times past where the athlete had to really put out just to put bread on the table for his loved ones.

for the sake of clarity, however, while the training you refer to would not hurt, I think we badly need top level coaching to help us apply the fundamentals of the game when on the battlefield.

Hi! YC, How close you are, trained with, and was attached to the Special Air Services at RAF Credenhill Nr Hereford 1948 prior to being demobbed after the War, never was one though, sad to say.  Hard work though, on twenty-nine shillings a week.  (145 pence, for those not of the informed and much maligned age group ) Referred to as fuddy duddies by some of our wisest younger posters. I think YC, that the players may well be aware of the finer and basic aspects of the game, known as getting stuck in and delivering.

Reguards, Beelsie. 

IMO the start of the season is going to be the most important and crucial part. We have a lot of quality but its the attitude that counts. If we get off to a good start i think we will be fine. Otherwise we may have to aim for play offs