Sign in to follow this  
Crafty Canary

What a fiasco

I do not view this as a fiasco, events appear to have conspired against us this window but I see this latest bump in the road as an unexpected bonus that we can use to our advantage.From having one striker in Jerome that almost everyone thinks can perform in the PL and three "iffy" ones in RVW, Hoops and Grabban we now have plans to move one off the wage bill (Hooper) and move another on for decent money. We needed to move on at least two of these and the bonus chance to move on the second one has fallen into our laps.At the end of this we could have shifted two players, two wages and have and extra £5 to £6 million cash  in the kitty to invest,Grabban never was and never will be a PL class striker, if he wants to sit on Bournemouth`s bench and they give us £6 million then happy days.

Well stated Molly and, in my opinion, assessed correctly. Crafty is entitled to his opinion but, as so often is the case when Crafty waxes eloquent in assessing the performance of Norwich City management, he makes judgments before it is time to judge. ( He ( we ) are not in a position to understand what is occurring internally at Norwich City with respect to player attitudes/wishes or the subtleties of management dealings with other clubs. Yet here is Crafty wanting to define it as a fiasco before the time to assess it is appropriate. We essentially ended up in our dealings with Hull over time trading one player for a younger one of at least equal quality who appears to also be faster and more versatile. All this for roughly the same amount of money. Not exactly a failure in management, is it? When this trading deadline expires let''s see who we have on our books in the striker department. A fiasco is usually thought of as failure or shambles. In my view, Crafty is more than a little premature in judging the club that way. Nothing new there of course.

Well, the window has shut and my prediction that we wouldn''t spend big on players was spot on. Don''t talk to me about massive bids that were not accepted. You have to go for realistic targets, players who would want to join us rather than those who wouldn''t even if their clubs accepted our offers.

I have no argument with the players we have brought in as they seem to be of mid-table premiership quality although we have to see how Mbokani performs.

Unfortunately we have not strengthened a defence that is conceding an average two goals per game and we appear to have taken a scattergun approach to potential targets which suggests we did not have a coherent plan for potential signings.

Hopefully all will be well and we play as we did in the first three games rather than the last one but I still feel this window has been a fiasco.

Why oh why is anyone surprised by the lack of activity. This is good old Norwich again. We will all hope that we are still in with a shout of survival in January and hope we spend money then.........and guess what. We will have that same old feeling when that window closes as well.

I can live with no more forwards coming in (Jerome,Mbokani,Hooper and Grabban will be fine) but not to sign a defender or two is boarding on criminal.

It is a fiasco. We didn''t get a defender (am starting to doubt AN if he thinks Martin & Whitts are good enough for thus level) becasue we didn''t want to pay todays prices for anyone!

And to leave a bid for Gayle so late is ridiculous, when we had 7 days to resolve the Grabban situation!

Embarrassing but now AN has to perform his miracles we''ve what we''ve got. Good luck!

A few on here claiming that " no fiasco" and " bump in the road " look a bit foolish now . That was a disaster even by NCFC standards .

How the people in power could not recognise we have been desperate for at least a CB is beyond me . Don''t start with unlucky , not enough money and all the other nonsense ,, they had three months to sort it and did nothing . That is a fiasco .

Ehhhhh is have still assigned fiasco to if we couldn''t get any players. I think you are be over dramatic and loving it personally.

The "fiasco" or "problem" as I would put it, because I''m not part of the village halls production of hamlet like yourself, is not that we DIDNT sign players but rather we COULDNT sign players.

We don''t have enough money, for whatever reason. Not being able to compete hurts.

Oh dear! It would appear there are a number of posters on this thread that need to eat humble pie and throw a few apologies the way of Crafty Canary...........providing they don''t trip over their egos first.....

Crafty can suck a lemon

His kind only wins when the club fails

What kind of a victory is that?

[quote user="Buh"]Crafty can suck a lemon

What kind of a victory is that?[/quote]

BUH Egg on your face springs to mind, the club has let the fans down badly, should have shipped the waster out at any price. No one in apart from a over the hill guy and a loan striker. We are Premiersip will not ring out loud for much longer unless AN can perform miracles.

that boy from reading who went to Chelsea now why didn''t we try for him ??

we could of offered him 1st team football far more game time than he will get there he could of made a name for himself here

even though he might still of went there far bigger club did we even try ??

even buying james Collins would have been better than what we are left with !!

It seems incredible that anyone might disagree with Crafty''s characterisation of the window. Is the next step to send out Bassong and Hooper out on loan because of the riches we have in these areas?

[quote user="Buh"]Crafty can suck a lemon

What kind of a victory is that?[/quote]

In the 50+ years I have supported City I have never wanted them to fail. However, unlike the happy clappers, I don''t see it as a sin to criticise performances on and off the pitch which are not to the required standards. This window has been a fiasco whatever the reasons. It doesn''t mean all is lost but that defence isn''t going to cut the mustard.

I don''t agree with it at all - look at the outs and ins and deny we are stronger than before the window. This counts for all areas other than defence - we need some answers there, but the idea it is a fiasco is quite pathetic in its overstatement.

Not at all Herman however if I get wet because those responsible haven''t fixed the roof I have no problem in confronting them about their performance. No doubt you''ll still be saluting as the water covers your head.

Branston: "look at the outs and ins and deny we are stronger than before the window. "

Whichever way you spin it Branston, deny you are not disappointed with our transfer dealings this summer. We may have strengthened our midfield but not strengthened our defence or the depth of our squad.

I will not be convinced that this transfer window has been well managed, despite employing a whole team of executives to oversee player recruitment.

We seem to have dithered, balked at valuations and left ourselves with too much to do on the last day of the window. We seem to have looked for cheap options rather than going out and getting the players Alex Neil wanted. (I accept that that''s an assumption but I think it''s a reasonable one given all the players we''ve been linked with an not signed).

I cannot understand why we didn''t go and get Charlie Austin. Or even Ricky Lambert.

Regardless of what I think, I hope Alex Neil is genuinely happy with his squad and feels that the ''footballing board'' have not sold him short. If he''s not happy, he won''t hang about.

Kingston," If he''s not happy, he won''t hang about"That is my fear. He doesn''t strike me as a Martin O''Neill type quitter. Instead, I think we have a carbon copy of Lambert. He will find a way of keeping us up, but will then depart for a club with ambition in the summer. Then the board can appoint another more pliable manager in the mould of Gunn/Hughton/Adams.

i don''t think he would go yet his stock is not big enough yet BUT if he carries on the way he has started his managerment career and when he is more known / respected in this league he will not put up with much more of this

aka paul lambert

I just remember him saying when he joined, something like "People treat you like you allow them to treat you."

Which loosely translated I took to mean, "Nobody f***s with me."