Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Messageboard should look a bit different tomorrow

To tie-in with the re-design of www.pinkun.com tomorrow morning this messageboard will look slightly different.Sadly it''s a new lick of paint rather than any functional changes but I shall continue to fight the good fight.The re-designed site will finally be fully responsive on all devices.

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]Will there be a big square in the middle?

No? Good![/quote]That''s cricket......

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]To tie-in with the re-design of www.pinkun.com tomorrow morning this messageboard will look slightly different.Sadly it''s a new lick of paint rather than any functional changes but I shall continue to fight the good fight.The re-designed site will finally be fully responsive on all devices.[/quote]

What colour is the paint?

"The new site will be fully responsive on all devices" - just don''t expect to see an ''edit'' button anytime this millenia....

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]"The new site will be fully responsive on all devices" - just don''t expect to see an ''edit'' button anytime this millenia....[/quote]

A lot of forums I use don''t have one through choice. It prevents trolls from editing offensive posts to claim they never wrote what they are being accused of.

It also encourages people to think a little more before posting and gives a more honest reflection of a user.

I understand some people find it frustrating as they''d like to change predictive text errors etc. But I feel it just adds to the fun.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Indy_Bones"]"The new site will be fully responsive on all devices" - just don''t expect to see an ''edit'' button anytime this millenia....[/quote]

A lot of forums I use don''t have one through choice. It prevents trolls from editing offensive posts to claim they never wrote what they are being accused of.

It also encourages people to think a little more before posting and gives a more honest reflection of a user.

I understand some people find it frustrating as they''d like to change predictive text errors etc. But I feel it just adds to the fun.[/quote]

Agreed. An edit button just encourages rushed posts and lazy thinking.  All you have to do is read your post before you post it.....and if you do post and have made a mistake, it''s no big deal - or shouldn''t be.  

[quote user="chicken"]A lot of forums I use don''t have one through choice. It prevents trolls from editing offensive posts to claim they never wrote what they are being accused of.

I understand some people find it frustrating as they''d like to change predictive text errors etc. But I feel it just adds to the fun.[/quote]If we were to follow that logic in other areas, we''d all still be using typewriters instead of actually using a keyboard and posting on the internet!It''s horribly archaic to not have an edit function, and being fair many forums can actually recover the information from before any edits, making the troll side of things irrelevant.

Problem is when you combine a forum which can''t handle links and quoting of other posts very well with the lack of an edit button.

I''m afraid the argument that trolls will abuse the edit function is irrelevant given that on a modern forum posts are clearly labelled "edited" and have the ability to see previous versions of the post.

[quote user="Google Bot"]Oh ''Best Fiends'' logos everywhere, i can''t wait!! :)[/quote]

AdBlocker Plus sees all of them off (how many on just one page?) very nicely.

the pink on grey at the bottom is difficult to read.

Also the forum feels now like you have accidentally pressed the zoom in button on the keyboard

[quote user="Ginja"]I''m afraid the argument that trolls will abuse the edit function is irrelevant given that on a modern forum posts are clearly labelled "edited" and have the ability to see previous versions of the post.[/quote]

You need to keep the contents of edited posts as trolls will post something controversial and then change it when pounced on and then plead innocence - nature of the web today. Has to be kept to legality/character deformation/slander

But it''s looking a bit more friendly/easier on the eye atm and may tempted me back to post more

[quote user="Thorny"][quote user="Ginja"]I''m afraid the argument that trolls will abuse the edit function is irrelevant given that on a modern forum posts are clearly labelled "edited" and have the ability to see previous versions of the post.[/quote]

You need to keep the contents of edited posts as trolls will post something controversial and then change it when pounced on and then plead innocence - nature of the web today. Has to be kept to legality/character deformation/slander

But it''s looking a bit more friendly/easier on the eye atm and may tempted me back to post more[/quote]

This isn''t a valid reason to not add one. This is the reason many sites have edit histories for the admins to review

4th consecutive post from me! Sorry for reading your post wrong, I see I was basically agreeing with your point! (If only there was something that would let me go back and change this!)

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]To tie-in with the re-design of www.pinkun.com tomorrow morning this messageboard will look slightly different.Sadly it''s a new lick of paint rather than any functional changes but I shall continue to fight the good fight.The re-designed site will finally be fully responsive on all devices.[/quote]