Sign in to follow this  
Tommo

Yet another shocking referee display

2nd time this season already - defo not sending off and that Tadic has infuriated me with his hand gestures for card to be shown - he should have received 2 yellow cards for the amount of times he has done it today

Chin up though guys- plenty of games left and some signings to come.

Defo not a sending off? What?

Referee has got everything right as far as I can see, lino missed the offside for the first goal though.

A referee finally has a good game. Rare indeed.

Whittaker needs to have a long hard think about letting the team down today. Needlessly cost us the game.

i would have sent him off as well, you do have to wonder about professional footballers intelligence sometimes, trying to headlock someone over a throw in just to waste ten seconds is about as dumb as it gets

The only real potential mistake was the first goal. I think it would be hard to argue that we would still have gotten anything from the game even if it had been disallowed.

Definitely not- Pelle clearly wrapped himself around Whittaker and was clearly playing on fact that he was already on a yellow.

Refs decisions generally around fouls, allowing advantage etc were shocking today. Particularly remember wisdom fouled but clearly could have played advantage but blew up and allowed Southampton to re-group.

Interesting to see Neil''s post match comments re sending off

The sending off was the correct decision, and I''m not just saying that because I dislike Whitts. The first one was an obvious yellow - had the player in a kind of headlock in an attempt to stop him throwing it - you can''t do that in football. After that he also nudged a player in the box when there was no need to - although the referee didn''t see it, I knew he was going to get sent off. The second yellow was totally just, unfortunately. Whitts blocked the run and as the pundits said on Sky - "you need to be smarter that that." Instead of blocking him and stopping, he needed to keep going with the man, not stop in his tracks like an idiot.

Stupid sending off and offside goal but in the end lucky to get away with only 3 goal defeat.Even with 11 v 11 we looked very much second best so no excuses.

Whether or not either of the 2 incidents waranted a yellow card is debateable. However, if you have just got booked for a debateable decision the last thing you do 4 minutes later is put yourself in a position of getting another one, especially when there was no need for the challenge.The first goal could have been offside but it was close and it wasn''t given.All that aside, we deserved nothing because we were poor.No spark & no life.We cannot afford to keep missing easy chances at one end & nodding off at the other in this league.Not many players gave anything like what we''ve come to expect and even the Manager had an off day by not subbing CJ until the 88th minute.A carp day all round.

It was a rather sedate dull affair until the sending off- wisdom didn''t show me all that much as a better option- both Tadic goals he was with his arms raised but nowhere near making a challenge himself.

Howson and Brady were the only ones for me who actually looked liked they cared. Could not believe martins reaction when Pelle beat him for the first goal. Looked like he was either not interested or that we knew we couldn''t get anything from the game. Hope the Napoli defender still wants to sign and get him Straight into starting eleven with bassong as partner CB

Sorry but the ref did ok today i think.

Definitely a sending off! You cannot put your arms around another player!

Very stupid and unprofessional from Whittaker.

This defeat goes down as an abysmal performance by us and not a bad performance by the ref.

I think the ref had a decent game today. Yes the first goal should have been disallowed for offside but it was very close and difficult to tell without replaying the incident.

Personally I feel that it was mainly Whittaker rather than the whole team to blame for the defeat. In my opinion the ref got both of the decisions spot on. I felt some refs might have sent him off at the first offence, as he appeared to fight the Southampton player for the throw in

Even with 11 men never thought we would get anything from this game. Started very slowly and just never seemed up for it. Strange lack of confidence with nobody looking happy on the ball. Actually Wes should have stayed on - only player showing any appetite for the fight.

What Ricardo said. We deserved what we got today sadly. We were slow and sloppy before the sending off and then got worse.

[quote user="Herman "]What Ricardo said. We deserved what we got today sadly. We were slow and sloppy before the sending off and then got worse.[/quote]We seemed to be playing at much too slow a pace Herman. I commented on how lethargic we looked early on..In all probability we would still have lost with eleven and in the end we must be thankful it wasn''t a heavier defeat.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

We weren''t at them from the off as we have been in other games. I have no idea why

[/quote]
Problem is it''s not the first time. We did it last season as well where we''d get on a decent run and then just not turn up for a game. I''m not sure what the answer is but perhaps more competition in the squad will help.

Agree Nutty. We started at a poor pace and it was so noticeable that they were at us so quickly and we had little time. They played like we had in the last two matches. I was unhappy with 3 but it could have been 4 or 5

The red was the right decision and you can see why the offside wasnt spotted. Far more culpable were our own players in both incidents; whittaker takes responsibility for the red and howson and martin could have taken us safely to half time by clearing the ball and stepping up for offside when yards deeper than the rest of the back 4 respectively.

it was a passionless lethargic display from the start completely out of character. I have no doubt we will bounce back.

But again we have to cut out the defensive problems and take our chances when still level.

Bring on bournemouth

Looking at the big picture the referee has had nothing to do with the failures of the owners and management. If anyone deserves a red card then it''s Delia Smith, David McNally or Alex Neil.

Agree with OP that it was a poor referring display. By the letter of the law, both were yellow cards, albeit very marginal. The second one was very very harsh as Tadic could be said to have engineered the contact. I wouldn''t mind this if he''d then applied every decision to the letter of the law. That is each time Bassong and Pelle clashed in the area if should have been a penalty or a free kick. But no, both were fouling so he applied common sense, while ignoring the laws (first foul should be penalised) . Pelle dives in the box in the first half. Yellow card? But no. Second half, identical to first half Soton player obstructs Wisdom trying to take a throw in, Wisdon retaliates. Should be a yellow card. And worst of all, first half in frustration at losing ball Davies commits a nasty deliberate foul - worst of the game and a definite yellow. But Jon Moss doesn''t book him. He knows that won''t make MotD2 highlights but his ''brave'' two yellow cards will. When all he has done is to prevent a footballer from playing football for two thirds of the game for two inconsequential and non dangerous incidents. Pathetic oh look at me performance. I think were two yellow cards all match......

I''m sorry but, comments like - when it was 11 v 11 we were very much second best so no excuses, we were slow & sloppy, we must be thankful it wasn''t a heavier defeat etc etc, - are completely irrelevant when analysing a referee''s performance.

I''m not saying that the ref did have a shocker, certainly nothing like Hooper. But what on earth has how a team plays, got to do with a ref having a shocker?

Well what I was alluding to is that the ref didn''t have a shocker, we did. He got it spot on and Whittaker solely takes the blame for the sending off, and our lack of performance takes the blame for the loss.

[quote user="Herman "]Well what I was alluding to is that the ref didn''t have a shocker, we did. He got it spot on and Whittaker solely takes the blame for the sending off, and our lack of performance takes the blame for the loss.[/quote]Absolutely nailed it, on all three points.Anyone blaming the referee for two perfectly just yellow cards is just looking for excuses.

The first was perhaps a bit harsh, but only in that you don''t always see them given.

Having said that, the second was definitely a yellow, and if the ball had been closer to the foul - he could have seen straight red for it if the referee deemed that the player was through on goal otherwise.

He was caught badly positioned and flat footed.

As for our lack of performance - there are about three or four teams that I couldn''t imagine being worse to face being a man down due to their style of play - Southampton are one of those.

They like to keep the ball down and play - teams like that are always going to find that space and exploit it. The goal before half time is what did it IMHO.

As the old footy saying goes, you are at your most weakest just after you score a goal, due to half time, any chance of taking advantage of that is always prevented.

Also, with a man down, the spotlight is always put on players that are not your best in some ways. It emphasises their weaknesses.

So for me, Tettey''s passing looks worse because you are more reliant upon him doing something other than ''safe'' passes to someone who is more able to take a risk.

To be honest, although maybe a bit defeatist, I would have been happy with a point before the game. They may have been underperforming recently but with the quality of players and the manager you know they were going to come good at some point. Having a man sent off only acted to spur them on.

Whittaker - what the heck was going on with him? Should have just got on with the game on both occasions, with 11 men we always stood more of a chance, especially with Wes on the field.