Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Benik Afobe

[quote user="Canary Legend"]

Looks like yet another badly managed, judged and highly public screw up in the transfer market.

Our transfer dealings so far have been shambolic

[/quote]

And this is hardly any surprise considering the track record of our new Head of Recruitment....

Some people do seem to be rather over-egging things: teams are (often spuriously) linked with and our offers in for players the time, look at some of the links with Man U/Chelsea/Man City that have been running all summer! There''s nothing wrong/embarrassing about it - we don''t even know the truth behind most of the supposed links, many from abroad will have been hugely overplayed by agents.

As for Afobe, it is probably about turning his head - we know Wolves don''t want to sell so are trying to apply pressure. It''s what happens in football.

Absolutely. If Norwich offer to significantly increase his wages, then the player will certainly seriously think about moving, regardless of what his club wants. At that point it''s about offering an acceptable transfer fee and the two clubs coming to an agreement.

The player will want to be in the premier league on premier league wages, his agent will want his slice of the cake. Why would he have loyalty to Wolves at such a early stage of his Wolverhampton career. This one ain''t over yet!

Sherwood went to watch him last night so even if Wolves did an amazing u turn and decide to sell chances are we would get outbid on fee and wages , and Villa are still seen as a much bigger club than Norwich even with their struggles of late .

Who''s to say we would get outbid? yes we still could be, but villa have spent significantly more than us this season, and some of the figures thrown around for players we''ve gone for suggests we have some cash saved for such an occasion.

A highly rated England under 21 in the first year of his contract at a club that doesn''t need to sell. To be that spells some serious cash being dropped, somethinf closer to 15 million than 5... I mean we have Bristol going in with 9 million for Grey!

Trouble is if we wait till January that amount could have increased by another third. I just can''t see this one taking off without serious looney money being used, especially after the hands off warning.

BF If they want anywhere near £15M you wont see us for dust - over priced at anything over half that

They hold the cards, we would have to pay for their fans forgiveness to the board... And that spells something over the odds, 15 I recon would be enough to make them less of a laughing stock for selling.

should have gone for him early July - unsettled him before season started - would have got him for much less

everyone knows including him he only 3rd or 4th choice if he comes

[quote user="Newton"]everyone knows including him he only 3rd or 4th choice if he comes[/quote]

You ever seen this guy play before?

You obviously aren''t known as Isaac Newton, that''s for sure.

If Sherwood went last night he clearly wasn''t put off by their ''he''s not for sale statement''!

Villa do hold the cards above us, the Benteke money burning a hole in their pockets and locality to Wolverhampton (not that''s a good thing)!

Re: Benik Afobe

The No:9 shirt is vacant for a reason, anybody we spend a "substantial" amount on will not be third choice. Alex Neil watched Afobe play, and now we have mad a big offer, does not sound like third choice to me

FJS making a bid just over a week before the window closes after we have just been turned down by some Italian guy does not appear to indicate Afobe was our 1st choice target ?

Not to me any way ?

Who''s to say Sherwood was watching him over several others - Austin (he night not have been aware of us signing him today!) and Phillips to name but two - remember QPR have a load of recently-PL players

wolves statement doesn''t mean anything just holding out for as much as they can ,

if they sold him their statement would be sorry we had no choice Afobe said he didn''t want to play for us / strike etc so left us little choice but to sell ....... got to remember they will be making a massive profit on him and we all know chairmen like the money a hopefully pick up another Afobe on the cheap to replace him

I think his agent will be chipping in a nice payday for him and the player can double his wages ( maybe ) football is a short career you have to earn as much ASAP

also plays well for Norwich in the premiership who knows where that might lead I am hopeful of this one !!

firststeps wrote the following post at 20/08/2015 5:00 PM:

Austin is apparently having a medical at Sunderland?

Interesting if true - & no we don''t want any of there cheap cast offs

Totally disagree with that norfolkngood.

Clubs rarely issue such bold statements.

With Afobe Wolves will, rightly, believe that they have a great chance of promotion and taking some of that new TV money.

They played him yesterday and have no intention of losing him ... Especially with so little left of the window to find a reasonable replacement.

Its the manager who''s made the statement (bit like Bruce) but clubs rarely do transfer business with the manage, so his comments may not stand much weight.

It depends what substantial is, how aggresive NCFC want to be and how serious. Would be a great signing

Don''t think we have the money to prize Afobe away. Just look at the price of the likes of Mings, 8 million.

Wolves don''t need to sell, he''s only just into his eight month with them so I''m sure he won''t be pushing just yet to move on.

It would take a daft offer which I''m sure this club will not gamble with given his lack of experience at this level.

Should have bought him last January.

[quote user="Samwam27"]Its the manager who''s made the statement (bit like Bruce) but clubs rarely do transfer business with the manage, so his comments may not stand much weight.

It depends what substantial is, how aggresive NCFC want to be and how serious. Would be a great signing[/quote]

I thought Wolves actually released their own statement prior to Jackett coming out with his ''hands-off'' warning?

Here you go - Statement taken from the Wolves website:

Response to speculation

In response to some media speculation this morning, Benik Afobe was bought from Arsenal in January 2015, and other players arrived in the summer, to strengthen the team for the strongest possible challenge on promotion this season.

Therefore, neither Benik nor any of Wolves’ first team forward players, will be sold this season.

Benik has developed into a player of key importance to Wolves and the Club’s plans for this campaign.

Wolves have previously resisted the opportunity to sell other key first team players in this and other recent transfer windows.

As far as the Club is concerned there is no need for any further comments or speculation about this issue.

Read more at http://www.wolves.co.uk/news/article/statement-benik-afobe-2632099.aspx#fWqpg0AZmQg0uzCC.99

yes I understand that BUT

Afobe says he wants to come here

Jacket ....... nobody will be sold

Afobe ....... do you really want me unhappy I don''t want to play blah blah

agent then tells chairman he is willing to strike make others unhappy etc doesn''t want to play for wolves etc

even tells the press as he leaves training ground like wes did that time a believe me anything is possible

we might be offering a extra 15 / 20 k a week more money than he is on if he is on around 10k a week ( guess )

that can make a player very unhappy if you stop him earning it

I don''t know why (don''t think Afobe has said anything in the media?), but I have the impression he wouldn''t go down the striking route etc. when he''s only recently signed for them. However, I don''t really know anything about him and he was at Arsenal not so long ago so maybe he thinks he should get back to the PL asap.. either way, there is also Villa to think about.

Personally think we will move on from this quite quickly, but you never know. Bit worried about the Griffiths rumour. Rather we targeted someone like Shane Long (now that Rodriguez is back), but let''s see what happens.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Mings for £8M

Dzeko for £12M

where''s the logic in that?[/quote]

Mings wages: £30k a week, aka £1.5m a year for 5 years. £7.5m.

Signing on and agent fees: £1.5m.

Total outlay: £15m

Potential resale value after 3 years: £3m-£25m

Dzeko wages: £150k a week, aka £7.5m a year for 5 years.

£37.5m

Signing on and agent fees: £4.5m

Total outlay: £55m

Potential resale value after 3 years: £0m-£8m

Your figures may be a little heavy in places TJ, but I get your jist.

But selling Clubs don''t do favours for buying Clubs. They will extract what they can. Yes, they may be wanting players off their payroll etc, but my point was based around the closeness of the fees, compared with what they have actually achieved so far in their careers. This then leads on to ''valuations'' of people like Andre Gray, Charlie Austin, Benik Ofobe and what City fans see as realistic/market value etc

I''ll never forget when a certain Robert Chase came out and reassured us City supporters at the time that Chris Sutton would NOT be sold - well, that was the best news for all of 24 hours.

Benik Afobe won''t be cheap, but EVERY player ultimately has his price, whether that''s in our budget I don''t know but I believe we have a few quid to spare. Still not worried, seen this sort of thing happen in god knows how many transfer windows - the domino effect will begin soon...