Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Benik Afobe

Who''s to say it''s not a deal involving a player or 2 moving in the other direction. Maybe someone like Hooper, Grabban or Lafferty going there.

[quote user="Oh Cameron Jeroooooooome"]Who''s to say it''s not a deal involving a player or 2 moving in the other direction. Maybe someone like Hooper, Grabban or Lafferty going there.[/quote]Let''s hope it''s all 3 [;)]

Bit concerned about the WOTB talk. Chap on there has seen him a few times, & is not impressed. Also Tettey The Destroyer Of Worlds apparently man marked him out of the game when we played them. Love that man!

Wolves fans reckon he''s the dog''s though, & they see him every week. Ultimately of course, it''s only Mr. Neil''s opinion that matters.

Wolves fans seem convinced he won''t go in this window. I suspect he might. If he has an opportunity to avoid that horrific accent coming at him every minute of the day, then he will go. Must be torture trying to pretend he understands what the hell they''re yammering about.

Could have bought him for a couple of million in January as Wolves did.I do wonder about our scouting system sometimes, was he not good enough then but has since made such huge strides in 20 games at Wolves that we are going to pay big money?

True, but a certain Arsene Wenger (genius at unearthing young players who go on to become world class internationals) also seems to have let his slip through the net...

[quote user="Wishbone"]True, but a certain Arsene Wenger (genius at unearthing young players who go on to become world class internationals) also seems to have let his slip through the net...[/quote]

I think it''s because he''s been under enormous scrutiny for several seasons now to win something.

Well Wolves have publicly come out saying he''s not for sale.

So frustrating to see we have been putting our efforts all over the place and failing at so many hurdles. What I waste of our time and resource, we''ll end up gambling on options Z on the last day of the season. Who wants Kei Kamara back ?

Can anyone think of a window where our efforts have been so poor / unlucky ? Maybe we should have kept the Man Utd coach to help lure quality players.

Wolves have issued a statement asking for more money:

"In response to some media speculation this morning, Benik Afobe was bought from Arsenal in January 2015, and other players arrived in the summer, to strengthen the team for the strongest possible challenge on promotion this season.

Therefore, neither Benik nor any of Wolves’ first team forward players, will be sold this season.

Benik has developed into a player of key importance to Wolves and the Club’s plans for this campaign.

Wolves have previously resisted the opportunity to sell other key first team players in this and other recent transfer windows.

As far as the Club is concerned there is no need for any further comments or speculation about this issue."

He won''t be coming here.

Wolves know the prize that promotion will bring especially for next season and will only be tempted by crazy money ... Which we don''t have.

Looks like we are tumbling through our priority list ...Mbokani anyone?!

Our scouting is pants and our choice of targets is pants too.We must be a laughing stock bidding for players all over the shop who either do not want to come or their clubs do not want to sell. I hope we do not lurch into desperate signings

We must have made a £4.5m bid!

Far from pant wetting but this transfer window has been frustrating and rather embarrassing. Would love to know who we have really made enquiries/bids for and have missed out on.

Seriously, where is our pulling power?

Looks like another dead end.

Not looking too good at present on a replacement striker or CB.

Well 12 days left on the transfer window, can see a couple loan deals coming up.

[quote user="BRIAAAAAAN"]Wolves have issued a statement asking for more money:

"In response to some media speculation this morning, Benik Afobe was bought from Arsenal in January 2015, and other players arrived in the summer, to strengthen the team for the strongest possible challenge on promotion this season.

Therefore, neither Benik nor any of Wolves’ first team forward players, will be sold this season.

Benik has developed into a player of key importance to Wolves and the Club’s plans for this campaign.

Wolves have previously resisted the opportunity to sell other key first team players in this and other recent transfer windows.

As far as the Club is concerned there is no need for any further comments or speculation about this issue."[/quote]Sometimes these statements, read closely, are not quite as definitive as they appear. But this one (leaving aside the errant punctuation) really doesn''t seem to allow Wolves any room for backsliding.Still, it has been such a successful transfer window so far, with five of our six or seven boxes ticked very early, that I can''t imagine any posters being disgruntled by this apparent failure.

The thing that is frustrating is that had Afobe been a genuine target of ours from the offset then we might have had a chance of getting him had we made a decent bid back earlier in the summer. Instead we''ve come scrambling along after the season has started and after various other strikers and championship players have moved for stupid money which i think makes it highly unlikely that we can persuade Wolves to sell.

The apparent lack of focus in our striker search this summer is frustrating. We clearly wanted Brady and we made sure we got him. With the strikers it appears to have been much more scattergun. Lets hope Dwight Gayle is not too offended that we''ve kept him waiting whilst trying to sign every other striker in Europe and is still up for joining!

Absolutely no basis for that opinion Jim. None what-so-ever.

If anything, it would appear that we have been very focused in finding a striker - the fact that one came here only to be turned away at the last moment is just one indicator.

I would say signing players early is harder than signing them now if you are talking about signing quality at a good price.

Earlier in the summer quality players and their agents are more likely to take their time and wait to see what becomes available. Very few will jump at the first offer.

VVD is a good example if you ask me. If rumours are to be believed and we put an offer in for him early in the transfer window then you can see exactly why he may have stalled on it. Southampton missing out on Alderwerald and Everton still rebuffing offers from Chelsea would say he was arguably right to do so - IMHO.

In many ways, there haven''t been as many "big" movers this summer as previous summers. The de Gea saga has rumbled on for a while - I suppose you could argue Sterling. Quite often it has a trickle down effect.

At this point in the window it is much more apparent, and will increasingly be so until the window closes, which players are available and which are not.

There does become this inflated price issue, but at the same time, it can be the best time to deal, once clubs have decided what their surplus will be.

But I do also agree with AN - British players have an inflated price these days, and almost purely due to the "quota" rules which only apply to the top half of the premier league in the main.

Some good footage of him here, looks quality and well respected, it would take a big offer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiqr1i_url4

This isn''t over...

Just because the first bid is rejected and they''ve said he''s not for sale. It doesn''t mean he wont be sold. Ultimately money talks!

All depends on the player really, if the club don''t want to sell it''s not going to happen unless the player is very determined to go.

Even then the club may refuse and there''s not a lot that can be done. I think this one is rather unlikely at the moment but maybe a transfer deadline day saga waiting to happen, we may have put the bid in and leaked the story to simply put the idea in his head.

[quote user="Lewis Esquire"]This isn''t over...

Just because the first bid is rejected and they''ve said he''s not for sale. It doesn''t mean he wont be sold. Ultimately money talks![/quote]Wolves have boxerd themselves into a corner with that statement, but in this case if anything was to sway them, apart from the money, it might be that we can offer them one or even two strikers (out of Grabban, Hooper and Lafferty) to fill the gap in their squad immediately.