Sign in to follow this  
funny old game

How much time?

As we''ve had such a disappointing first result. A match that many on here quoted as "must win" (a match in which AN seems to have got his team selection very wrong), it made me think, if we have a poor start how many games will AN be given. What if we are bottom at the end of October? will he be given till Christmas? Or will the club stand by him regardless of position & give him the full season.

I think we should start looking now for a replacement. He''s had one game in the Prem and he clearly looks out of his depth.[:|]

[quote user="funny old game"]As we''ve had such a disappointing first result. A match that many on here quoted as "must win" (a match in which AN seems to have got his team selection very wrong), it made me think, if we have a poor start how many games will AN be given. What if we are bottom at the end of October? will he be given till Christmas? Or will the club stand by him regardless of position & give him the full season.[/quote]Just for accuracy I decided to read the thread "Palace is a must win game" and other than the person who started it, who was on a wind up, nobody whatsoever agreed with him.

Christ!

One game is and these threads start already? We always seem to lose the 1st game of the season (Fulham/Colchester spring to mind) so why can''t we just get of the managers back and let him get on with it.

I for one hope the club sticks with him whatever happens this season...if we do go down again there''s no-one else I''d rather have to bring us back up.

What on earth?

We were a couple of dreadful refereeing decisions from getting the points yesterday. The team selections were perfectly sensible and were working well, we were well on top and we made Palace have to change their formation midway through the first half. Even having this thread seems rather bizarre.

It''s all circumstantial. If we''re rock bottom at Christmas and showing no signs of improvement, the board may have to act in order to give us a chance of survival. Short of that scenario, though, I would expect (and hope) the board will stick with him irrespective. As he gains in experience he is only going to get better as a manager.

McNally has said that previously they had failed as a board not to have potential managers being tracked in case they need to consider a replacement.

AN is no fool and he will know that if results are going badly his job will be on the line at some point, but I think it would take a pretty dire level of performance for him to be sacked.

I personally hope we keep him when we are relegated as I''m confident we can win the title with him in for a full season.

[quote user="funny old game"]As we''ve had such a disappointing first result. A match that many on here quoted as "must win" (a match in which AN seems to have got his team selection very wrong), it made me think, if we have a poor start how many games will AN be given. What if we are bottom at the end of October? will he be given till Christmas? Or will the club stand by him regardless of position & give him the full season.[/quote]

It''s posts like this that give forums we must not mention and Twatter the opportunity for those that ridicule the Pink Un cannon fodder.

I hope the board stick by AN even if the season is a struggle, the question isn''t mean''t to be trolling or a binner on a wind up, just wondered how people look upon AN lack of premier experience.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="funny old game"]As we''ve had such a disappointing first result. A match that many on here quoted as "must win" (a match in which AN seems to have got his team selection very wrong), it made me think, if we have a poor start how many games will AN be given. What if we are bottom at the end of October? will he be given till Christmas? Or will the club stand by him regardless of position & give him the full season.[/quote]

It''s posts like this that give forums we must not mention and Twatter the opportunity for those that ridicule the Pink Un cannon fodder.

[/quote]

Should read.......to gain even more cannon fodder. [:$]

[quote user="funny old game"]I hope the board stick by AN even if the season is a struggle, the question isn''t mean''t to be trolling or a binner on a wind up, just wondered how people look upon AN lack of premier experience.[/quote]So who are these "many people" that said it was a must win game?

we might have lost but that performance shows we have the potential to beat teams (if we get a half decent ref!)

Has the OP said that for the previous 12 years when we''ve not won on the first day of a season? Look where we have been in that time compared to say, Ipswich.

We played ok yet lapse in certain areas but could have (but didn''t). It''s not a disaster by any means, not over run, not made to look stupid - like this thread.

Alex Neil is the man holding the cigar at the moment and has earned the right to a season in charge. There were some encouraging signs playing wise yesterday, so we should stick with him.

FFS! [IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Unhappy/you-fool-038.gif[/IMG]

Also, stop with the ''he got the team selection very wrong''.

We were the better team for the majority of the first half, we should have equalised at 2-2, and then who knows.

Jerome and Redmond not fit enough to start, so actually AN got it spot on. Mistakes at the back to work on but we know he''s a manager that learns quickly, bring on Sunderland.

This guy is the best thing we have had since Lambert and Lambert was the best thing we had had in the previous 20 years. If we go down it will be because of a lack of quality signings. i dont think we will and hope that more quality not quantity is yet to come. But even if we do go down i can think of no one better than Alex Neil to manage the club and he has just signed a 3 year contract

People tend to forget Hughtons first 20 odd games and the decline there after!

I''m not going to criticise the OP as the normal rose tinted brigade do, valid point given the first 10 games that the fixtures gave us and the financial benefit of staying up.

Given that they stuck by a failing Hughton too long I doubt the same mistake would be made and I''m sure they would be ruthless with Neil come January should the worst happen and we are adrift at the bottom.

But having seen the way we controlled the midfield on Saturday, we are only short of a goo CB and someone who can put chances away from staying up.

Is this the the team selection that barely had the opposition in our half for the first 15 minutes? 

As Pardew said, the team selection really surprised him and Pardew knew he had set up wrong early in the first half. Had Grabhan scored his goal, then that might have confirmed it for Pardew who might have made a change. By that time, Redmond and Jerome would have come on to perhaps seal the win for NRW.

[quote user="Indy"]People tend to forget Hughtons first 20 odd games and the decline there after!

I''m not going to criticise the OP as the normal rose tinted brigade do, valid point given the first 10 games that the fixtures gave us and the financial benefit of staying up.

Given that they stuck by a failing Hughton too long I doubt the same mistake would be made and I''m sure they would be ruthless with Neil come January should the worst happen and we are adrift at the bottom.

But having seen the way we controlled the midfield on Saturday, we are only short of a goo CB and someone who can put chances away from staying up.[/quote]

It gives me no great satisfaction to revisit this post from early August, perhaps now with the benefit of hindsight, some of you more fair minded posters who understand the concerns my original post raised will constructively discuss the question.

it was never aimed at undermining AN, but the question remains, is his lack of premier league experience going to cost us?

He did not have any championship experience either and rode that wave. he is a quick learner and he will need to be. One thing he must learn quickly is to stand up to the board in January and demand that at least some quality players are brought in and realistic targets not overseas players with big names and big pockets. There will be championship players that are better defenders than many of the ones we have at the club at the moment

[quote user="Nuff Said"]So we should go out and swap him for an experienced PL manager? Who would you suggest?[/quote]Chris Hughton''s not doing a bad job a Brighton, Premier League experience too. [;)]