Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Russell Martin

[quote user="mrs miggins"]westcoastcanary wrote the following post at 19/12/2015 8:15 PM:The jury''s out on how good you are at reading AN''s mind.

-------------------------------

Perhaps it''s the other way round ;)

I''m sure AN regularly updates the pinkun to read my latest words of wisdom...or in this case, words for Martin.[/quote]
[Y] I lip read GH''s words to AN at the final whistle this afternoon: "There you are gaffer, that Miggins knows a thing or two". 

Always been a massive fan of our Russ - fantastic performance today, and played in his best position, a quality Premier League player.

The Martin love in continues, his performance yesterday was okay, he was carried by his team. He made some silly errors which he got away with. Hopefully Bennett has cemented his place, a lot of people on here doubted him, but they all seem to have gone quiet, the guy deserves some praise and credit. I would love to see a RB in the January window.

[quote user="firststeps"]The Martin love in continues, his performance yesterday was okay, he was carried by his team. He made some silly errors which he got away with. Hopefully Bennett has cemented his place, a lot of people on here doubted him, but they all seem to have gone quiet, the guy deserves some praise and credit. I would love to see a RB in the January window.[/quote]

This

Definitely this ^^^

Russell Martin has been loyal for us and done his job to the best of his ability , I don''t think the honest doubt that ,,, but the best he ever achieves now is a 5/10 , I think really that the time for an upgrade in the RB position has arrived .

If the board wants us to stay up it is funds we need and new additions across the first 11.

There is heart passion and ability in this squad throughout. But premiership quality is lacking across the group. It is a good championship team and the abilities are mainly at that level. To perform each week and get a result we need 6-7 players to play a stormer.

Love the team but I do know their limitations. So be great to see the changes this January.

Russ played very well at RB against Everton and to say he was carried yesterday by his team mates is laughable. A quick search of player ratings from national press gives him 6/7, and also highlights a great challenge to prevent Depay scoring.

Russell Martin – 7.5/10

The Norwich captain was solid in the right-back role as he kept Memphis Depay in check for the entire game, most notably preventing Depay from a certain goal with a last-ditch block. He led from the front, unlike his opposite number in red.

My opinion of course-I know the opinion is split on Russ but I love the man!

[quote user="firststeps"]The Martin love in continues, his performance yesterday was okay, he was carried by his team. He made some silly errors which he got away with. Hopefully Bennett has cemented his place, a lot of people on here doubted him, but they all seem to have gone quiet, the guy deserves some praise and credit. I would love to see a RB in the January window.[/quote]I think we all agree that we need an upgrade in defence, but it feels like a bit of sour grapes that you can''t admit that Russ hed a good game yesterday. Ryan has cemented his place, but your blinkered opinion didn''t notice some of his glaring mistakes. No doubt you will put it down to being Russ''s fault.

Just to refer to the Everton game, Martin was out of his depth defensively, and the display in the second half HAD to be a improvement on the first. Going forward he is competent, defensively he is a Championship player at best.

Yesterday, when he did put a challenge in (very rare), he gave away a free kick in dangerous position and in the last minute he balled watched (not a rare occurrence) and allowed Smalling a free header in the penalty area.

Just saying.

As I said in the match thread yesterday, I thought Martin was really good yesterday at RB. As H says, Bennett didn''t have the best of games and he''s right there.

Everyone knows that we needed to tighten the defence before the start of the season, we didn''t, now we have a chance to.

Personally I''d like us to sell whittaker (who is now no-doubt being accused of being scapegoated by AN) as well as any other players that are not in the squad such as Laffs and Hooper (though don''t know if he''s on loan of a full season?)

I doubt he will Miggo. The ridiculous scapegoating of White began a long time before Alex Neil arrived. I will never had understand why supporters do it. But they always have and always will. Alex Neil will know that he may need Whits again this season. Just like he knew our best chance of seeing out a win yesterday was to move Russ into the centre and Brady to full back. A fact that was ignored by many for some reason.

[quote user="firststeps"]Just to refer to the Everton game, Martin was out of his depth defensively, and the display in the second half HAD to be a improvement on the first. Going forward he is competent, defensively he is a Championship player at best.

Yesterday, when he did put a challenge in (very rare), he gave away a free kick in dangerous position and in the last minute he balled watched (not a rare occurrence) and allowed Smalling a free header in the penalty area.

Just saying.[/quote]

Exactly this^. I sometimes wonder if some of you watch the same game.

I must be watching a different game as I see mistakes made by every player in the team which are conveniently ignored to slate Russ. Have a read of some national newspaper player ratings-the Telegraph for example had Russ as our best defender and joint best player with Redmond and Jerome.

Maybe Russ has some compromising pictures of the reporter as well as our 4 previous managers who have all picked him regularly.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 20/12/2015 6:55 PM:

I doubt he will Miggo. The ridiculous scapegoating of White began a long time before Alex Neil arrived. I will never had understand why supporters do it. But they always have and always will. Alex Neil will know that he may need Whits again this season. Just like he knew our best chance of seeing out a win yesterday was to move Russ into the centre and Brady to full back. A fact that was ignored by many for some reason.

---------------

Indeed, I don''t expect him to go but he''s our 3rd choice RB atm and normally you only need 2 places for every position. Realistically speaking I expect him to go at the end of the season if we stay up.

(btw the point about AN scapegoating was just meant to mock all the people that were criticising other posters who said Whitts wasn''t our best RB).

[quote user="Hairy Kenneth"]I must be watching a different game as I see mistakes made by every player in the team which are conveniently ignored to slate Russ. Have a read of some national newspaper player ratings-the Telegraph for example had Russ as our best defender and joint best player with Redmond and Jerome.

Maybe Russ has some compromising pictures of the reporter as well as our 4 previous managers who have all picked him regularly.[/quote]This.We all watched the same game, but some of us are happy to praise someone when they put in a good job. Some won''t in fear that their whole argument may come crashing down.

[quote user="firststeps"]Just to refer to the Everton game, Martin was out of his depth defensively, and the display in the second half HAD to be a improvement on the first. Going forward he is competent, defensively he is a Championship player at best.

Just saying.[/quote]
This post illustrates perfectly how Martin has become the target of completely unjustified accusations by posters on here. The replay of the lead up to Smalling''s last minute chance shows Martin correctly covering Rooney''s run, i.e. not "ball watching" at all. If anyone erred it was Bennett who stood off Smalling and let him get goal side. As for giving away the free kick, what would the same poster have said if Martin had stood off in this instance and Martial had scored? Just saying.

In think it''s fair to say that if you read my previous posts on RM they won''t be the most positive ones you''ll read but I will start with some positives.

I''ve had the pleasure of meeting him in a couple of occasions and he''s a really nice, genuine and sincere guy, listening to his story was really interesting and I have lots of respect for him.

In terms of from a football perspective I think the commitment that he gives whilst on the pitch can''t be questioned, every time there is a block tackle to be made he''s invariably the one that does it.

However, the areas where I''ve been critical previously are still the same, he gives the ball away to cheaply, he has cost us silly goals against, the one a coil,e of weeks ago against Everton was careless, yes Olsson should be cleared it better but Martin put us unnecessary pressure by giving it away when trying to find O''Neil and then a little while later almost cost us another when under pressure by Kone.

His long distribution is obvious, he doesn''t have the composure to play the clever ball, it''s long punt down the right wing, a lot of the time straight out of play or it''s the ball over the top which is a lot of the time over hit.

The problem for me is that he isn''t great under pressure, i.e when he''s being closed down, his first thought is to turn back towards the goal and as per the Kone example it causes us problems.

Yes I''m generalising and yes others do it but as this is a debate about RM it''s relevant.

He has a place in the squad, not at centre half I hasten to add but I do think we need to find a new more modern RB who is quicker with lace, quicker with thought and more comfortable in attacking.

I tend to watch players (it''s the qualified coach in me) rather than the game and it''s interesting when you do as you quickly see the weaknesses in each player. Don''t get me wrong, I''d love to be in his position and I''m not saying he isn''t a good player, just not sure good enough for what we need.

And no, neither is Whitts and my jury is still out with Wisdom.

Excellent post from Rich. Expect the usual suspects to pop up trying to degrade it very soon. Those sensible thoughts are too much to bare for the ignorants and the "gang of deluded".

No criticsm should ever be given to a Norwich player. If you ever do, you are not a FAN. And if you are not attending every fecking home game, you are not a FAN. According to the deluded, that is...

"Excellent post from Rich. Expect the usual suspects to pop up trying to degrade it very soon. Those sensible thoughts are too much to bare for the ignorants and the "gang of deluded".

No criticsm should ever be given to a Norwich player. If you ever do, you are not a FAN. And if you are not attending every fecking home game, you are not a FAN. According to the deluded, that is..."

Grefstad, you really do appear to have a massive chip on your shoulder, yes Rich''s post was excellent and well thought out, which doesn''t mean I (and no doubt many others) agree but we probably won''t jump in and call him an ignorant or deluded. Why oh why, do you at almost every opportunity, resort to derogatory name calling, are you really unable to express yourself without doing so, or do you just get some sort of perverse pleasure from abusing others?

I don''t like to resort to name calling but on this one occasion I will as it is well known grefstad is the resident c u next Tuesday on this forum.

[quote user="morty"]Yeah, you really are a bit mental.[/quote]
At least in this post he didn''t individually name either of us. Although i''ve gone from deluded to student recently. Not sure what to make of it personally. I think he used them both together once, that was a bad ''un.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"]Yeah, you really are a bit mental.[/quote]
At least in this post he didn''t individually name either of us. Although i''ve gone from deluded to student recently. Not sure what to make of it personally. I think he used them both together once, that was a bad ''un.
[/quote]Do you drink wine as well?

Russell Martin has been no worse than any of our other defenders this season.And yes, I agree with the consensus that grefstad is an insufferable w ankpheasant.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"]Yeah, you really are a bit mental.[/quote]
[/quote]Do you drink wine as well?[/quote]
Not since a particular christmas party in 2013.... [:D]

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"]Yeah, you really are a bit mental.[/quote]
[/quote]Do you drink wine as well?[/quote]
Not since a particular christmas party in 2013.... [:D]
[/quote]Ah wait, things are starting to drop into place. Did you drink too much wine, and post something mean to Guffstat?