Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Russell Martin

Ian, it is irellevant if fans have the stomach for a relegation battle or not, its the City side that matters. Dont know if you are a happy clapper or just a hoping optimist, but most fans who you think have seemed to "have given up hope"  are, like me, just realists, who see Citys history in this division, see their status compared to the other Prem. clubs and above all, base their opinions on what theyve seen from the manager and players this season.Happily for you, there is 2 weeks to enjoy Citys 17th position status, but once Leicester and Chelsea are done, and we are in 19th, it will be nice to read your thoughts again. "Oh but we still only need 5 wins from 10 games"?  I remember guys saying after Southampton "Oh we only need 5 wins from 18 games".We are all fans, its up to City to retain their status. At the weekend they gained 17th place courtesy of other teams mostly.

Just out of interest, as a realist, did you expect us to beat Man Utd at Old Trafford? Or get 3 wins out of 4 in December?

Do you think realistic Wigan or Sunderland fans expected their teams to repeatedly get out of far worse situations than us?

We know the difference the home fans can make, and the impact they can have on the players, so if most of the supporters have given up already, we are really in trouble.

We also know that we have decent attacking players, and are actually capable of keeping the odd clean sheet, so I believe that if the players can quickly get their belief back (and not losing against West Ham will help) we have every chance of picking up another 4 or 5 wins this season.

[quote user="Loyal Canary"]Watching Martin up against Moses when he came on was just embarrassing[/quote]I blame the bloke who bought him. [:S]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Loyal Canary"]Watching Martin up against Moses when he came on was just embarrassing[/quote]I blame the bloke who bought him. [:S][/quote]

I wish the bloke who bought him would re buy him!

I''ve just watched the game for the third time, the first was at Carrow Rd, the next were Sky recordings. I thought all the starting lineup were as good as can be expected (some were excellent) with the exception of RM. He must know that he is limited with his pace. Watching him jog back towards his defensive position as WH scored their first was hardly an inspiration to his team mates. We still need a decent, quick right back, and a natural leader as captain. I''m baffled by his inclusion... again.

Nice bit of brown nosing by Martin in today''s headline in the Pink Un, should ensure a starting place for him on Saturday.

Martin will get ripped apart this weekend, in some sadistic sad way I''m quite looking forward to it!

Did I read you right?

You are actually looking forward to a City player being "ripped apart?"

Unbelievable.

Criticism of our own players, a frequent favourite past-time on here reaches new depths.

Russell Martin might not be quite up to it nowadays but he has been a very good player and an excellent ambassador for our Club for some time. He has been a consistent performer throughout all the ups and downs of recent seasons and deserves nothing but praise.

He cost us next to nothing, owes the Club nothing and, if the time has come for him to move on, I, for one, would wish him nothing but the best of fortune.

Sadistic pleasure? My a-se.

Did I read you right?

Owes the club nothing? What are you talking about, the guy receives £30k + a week! I wonder if your boss would appreciate you saying you owe your employers nothing after several years service!?

The only reference to a-se is the verbal diarrhoea coming out of yours!

Oh!

Another insult merchant.

He dislikes the reaction to his ridiculous posting so he resorts to personal insults.

Carry on fella.

Btw.

Name me a professional footballer who is not paid well, including many who have been on our Club''s books and have failed to justify a fraction of Martin''s contribution..

Nonsense retort.

More pathetic personal insults.

I posted no facts. Just my opinion of a particularly stupid contribution to this forum.

Talking of facts. You, like no other poster on this forum, are privy to the wages RM gets are you? You state his weekly wage as being £30, 000. How do you know when, apart from details of various ceilings leaking out, the wages our Club pays it''s players is, and always has been, a closely guarded secret.

How did you get this "fact?

Just supposing you are right and Martin actually gets that amount.

What would his tax liability be, his contribution to our public coffers that is?

Try and work that out, if you can

The answer might just give you more ''sadistic'' pleasure.

Cue: more personal insults.

I never ever understand the bile aimed at our captain and one of our most loyal players

Like all players he has his strengths and his weaknesses but he always gives 100 percent

For me I hope he soon gets admitted to the hall of fame as a minimum as his efforts over a number of seasons richly deserve the accolade

Well he''s only loyal because a better offer hasn''t come in. Think he''d still be here if Arsenal or Chelsea had come in?

Not that that''s personal to him, it goes for any of our players. Nor would it be a criticism.

GJP, I think you may be wrong re better offer. There''s more to life than money, and yes I know that is easy to say if you''re on £30k per week, location, community, environment, family and dare I say it, love of the club.

We''ve not even had a game this week and again Russell Martin being slated. Pathetic.How about a bit of respect and class for a guy that has been present during a lot of very memorable moments in the last seven years. Loyalty should go both ways in football.

Perhaps you cannot generalise when it comes to the motives of pro-footballers.

Martin does seem to be one of the more conventional, family-orientated players amongst them.

All Clubs benefit from having such characters.

Neither has his contribution over the seasons been based upon nothing but effort or loyalty. His talents have, without doubt, also been a considerable asset in representing our cause as well.

Paul Lambert saw enough of his attributes to sign the player in the first place, and then to regularly select him to play at the highest level.

That''s enough for me and contrasts sharply with the invective now aimed towards the RM by some, which has now extended to hoping, and gaining pleasure from, him having a bad game whilst representing the yellow and green.

Perhaps it is time for RM to move on, but a place in the Hall of Fame surely awaits.

[quote user="George Santayana"]We''ve not even had a game this week and again Russell Martin being slated. Pathetic.How about a bit of respect and class for a guy that has been present during a lot of very memorable moments in the last seven years. Loyalty should go both ways in football.[/quote]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/0c/12/3a/0c123ae5bf72b3f23acbab496b1462cd.jpg

The reason no one has come in for him is because he''s not good enough. The opposing teams managers face lights up when he see''s Martins name in the starting 11!

You''re wrong firststeps, other clubs have been in for him on more than one occasion, you just don''t know about it. Also, how do you know about faces lighting up, have you seen them, do you have any pictures, or is this merely your opinion? If it''s an opinion, perhaps you could phrase it as such. It may help us all, including you.

[quote user="Ian"]Just out of interest, as a realist, did you expect us to beat Man Utd at Old Trafford? Or get 3 wins out of 4 in December?

Do you think realistic Wigan or Sunderland fans expected their teams to repeatedly get out of far worse situations than us?

We know the difference the home fans can make, and the impact they can have on the players, so if most of the supporters have given up already, we are really in trouble.

We also know that we have decent attacking players, and are actually capable of keeping the odd clean sheet, so I believe that if the players can quickly get their belief back (and not losing against West Ham will help) we have every chance of picking up another 4 or 5 wins this season.[/quote]As a realist, no i did not expect us to win at Old Trafford. As a realist i expected City capable of a small patch of good form, intermingled with much bigger, longer patches of  bad results and not much better than average form, which would overall put us in the bottom 3. Its that very reason directly after the Southampton win, thou i did applaud the guys for the wins, that i said they would lose the next 4 matches. That they managed that, and more, now having gotten 1 point  since January 2nd. They have proven my realism right. As a realist, i would not think Wigan fans expected to get out of trouble so often, but of course now they in L1. Sunderland are different, yes i expect their fans  believe most seasons they will escape.Its all about hope and expectation isnt it?  the two can go together, but often mean different things. My hope is connected with actually not giving up, wanting above  all else for us to survive. But expectation is linked to my thoughts on realism, so i opinionate, mostly based on what City have actually done.Russ Martin..City legend, bleeds yellow and Green, even now. But my opinion is he has not been good enough to be a regular starter this season. But id not go as far as wanting him to go, he is still more than important  around the squad, on the bench etc etc. What do i know, like the rest of us here, its all opinions.

[quote user="Ray"]GJP, I think you may be wrong re better offer. There''s more to life than money, and yes I know that is easy to say if you''re on £30k per week, location, community, environment, family and dare I say it, love of the club.[/quote]

I didn''t just mean money by "better offer".

Well this thread has gone quiet, almost to the day that Bassong was injured and was out of the team and Martin''s performances improved dramatically when playing next to a decent defender who he didn''t have to cover for? Fancy that.

He played right back, not CB. He''s not good enough to play at CB regularly for us which he''s proved this season; you can''t blame other people for his mistakes ellis.

Obviously I can''t help being a football genius who stated our back line-up should be:

Martin Bennett Klose Olsson

Just hope AN plays this on a regular basis, yes we''ll still concede goals like we do, but at least play our best players in their best position.

Against West Brom I''d personally like to see:

-----------------Ruddy-------------

Martin--Bennett--Klose--Olsson

----------Howson--O''Neil---------

Pinto---------Naismith------Brady

---------------Mbokani-------------

[quote user="Hull Canary"]I never ever understand the bile aimed at our captain and one of our most loyal players

Like all players he has his strengths and his weaknesses but he always gives 100 percent

For me I hope he soon gets admitted to the hall of fame as a minimum as his efforts over a number of seasons richly deserve the accolade[/quote]

What exactly are the strength?

Mrs M,

I think you will find that since Seb has been out, RM has started 3 out of four games as CB, 3rd CB or sweeper and just one game at RB, however he also played LB/LWB when Brady went off.

Straight and facts come to mind!