Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Russell Martin

[quote user="unique"]Martin''s swansong?........unlikely to start again this season, injuries aside.[/quote]
I f**king hope so. He''s beyond sh*t.

Not good enough, it''s as simple as that, I''m afraid.

Awful back pass and partly to blame for the last goal. Surely if Bennett and Klose are fit, he will be dropped. We can''t afford to keep picking him, if we want to avoid the drop.

I''m going to stay calm. Here goes.

I understand why Klose didn''t start, he is a few days off.. He could have potential been off the pace in the match, hindsight is tricky one.

But my word, how disappointing. Put it in row Z, but it up the channel, tap it to Howson. That was a huge point lost at that moment and ultimately it could really damage the feeling around the club. Just like Oneil the week before, you need better from your professionals and that was a shower.

Where do we start? Martin cannot and will not start next week, that was just too much. I''m more annoyed at Bennets admission and I''d be banging on the managers door wanting an explanation as to why he wasn''t at Centre back? We scored 4 against Liverpool yet managed to conced 5 at home with that back 4. Not good enough.

[quote user="birchfest"] I''m more annoyed at Bennets admission and I''d be banging on the managers door wanting an explanation as to why he wasn''t at Centre back?[/quote]
You want him to knock on the door and ask Alex to explain why he was given the day off due to the birth of his child?

In ANs own words, the defence was a shambles, wake up AN, it''s been a shambles all season. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Start by dropping Martin.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="birchfest"] I''m more annoyed at Bennets admission and I''d be banging on the managers door wanting an explanation as to why he wasn''t at Centre back?[/quote]
You want him to knock on the door and ask Alex to explain why he was given the day off due to the birth of his child?
[/quote]

I was unaware of that. If so fair enough.

kick it off wrote the following post at 2016-01-23 7:17 PM:

birchfest wrote:

I''m more annoyed at Bennets admission and I''d be banging on the managers door wanting an explanation as to why he wasn''t at Centre back?

If you listen to the post match interview of AN, you will hear exactly why he left Bennett out, and it was NOTHING to do with his wife and a birth. He preferred Martin as he thought he "could do a job on Firmino".

And we all know he couldnt and don''t didn''t. A very poor management decision IMO.

If anybody has wrote this already I apologize, but Russell Martin should be relieved of the captaincy, he''s been a good servant but there is no sentiment in football, and he should have been replace 18 > 24 months ago, either he steps down or take it away from him and drop him, as its stands Bennett is our best option with Klose, and at a push Bassong, but not Martin

When I started this thread, there were a lot of people jumping all over me. But as time has passed, people have started countless similar threads. It''s a long last sinking in, nice bloke or not, he''s a very average Championship defender at best. The captaincy should go to Naismith, this should keep AN happy as its another Scot.

Seems like Martin will keep a place, I wonder what position he''ll get to play tonight??

“It is unfair to single out any individual,” said Neil. “Russell made an error in terms of the back pass, however, there was another four goals we conceded on the back of that. What happens is there are always favourites and fall guys in any squad. Unfortunately for whatever reason what you tend to find is guys who have been there for a long time and served the club well sometimes seem to bear the brunt of that and in Russell’s case it is unfair.”

The old Scottish network continues to reign!

First Steps - all players make mistakes and Martin is no exception - but your continual villification of him on here will do him and the team no good at all. Players may not read these boards, but they will be aware of criticism - and that in Martin''s case it is over the top criticism - and that just makes a player''s job harder.  Imagine trying to go out and play at your best thinking that a lot of your own fans don''t want you in the team.  It would be better imo to just let AN pick what team he wants, we can then judge a performance on it''s merits and give up on these bandwagon inducing posts/threads. 

Like you LDC I have rallied in favour of RM for a long time, but I now think the time has come for him to be considered no more than a useful back-up and also a dressing room mentor.

Pinto shouldn''t be dropped after one game in any case.

One mistake such as that awful back pass, which could well have cost us the game (along with the players apparent capitulation afterwards) often crystallises things and I''m sorry but RM must not again figure in the starting line-up, unless necessary for other reasons than open selection.

Other players get dropped sometimes out of the squad entirely if they have a bad game. The same should apply to RM. Personally I feel that he has never been entirely convincing at CB despite numerous club and international managers playing him there. I don''t think it has done him any favours and while it might be possible to get away with it against lesser opposition when you have the likes of Tettey to help you out it can get brutally exposed against the top sides or when you don''t have such effective protective cover.

I was disappointed when Malky, Iwan and then Grant Holt all went off to pastures new but there comes a time when it is right to do so. I don''t want RM moved on, but my view is that he should be a contender for RB, but no longer the automatic first choice now we have invested in Pinto and certainly not a CB again.

Dominant thought theory, states that if you have a firm belief that something is so, the human brain will find a way to prove you correct.

If you believe every pass RM makes is hit sideward, backward or miss-hit then your brain will find a way to make that the case, so even if the player the pass was played to failed to control the ball, your brain will make that RM’s fault because, according to you, he hit it too hard, too soft or played a ball putting his team mate under pressure. That may satisfy your values and beliefs it doesn’t however make it a true reflection of what happened.

It does appear that there are some/many on here who believe RM makes too many errors, when it appears his respective managers don’t. I suspect the managers may have a more impartial view than most of us, at least I hope they do, they also have the option of playing back the game time after time if they want too and picking over it with fellow qualifies coaches.

Therefore If AN says, “…in Russell’s case it is unfair” who are we to disagree, but then I have a dominant thought that he is one of our best players when it comes to reading the game and distribution, so have I found a way to make my case and prove myself correct, probably, but it does appear it is the same as some respected professionals (I guess that’s my version of firststeps “the old Scottish network continues to reign”).

I agree that the back pass, if indeed it can be called that, cost us a goal against Liverpool, however the blame for almost every goal can be laid at someone’s feet and what I find quite interesting is when MOTD pundits review our performances, RM is very rarely mentioned as being the player at fault, or certainly no more often than any of the other defenders, and these guys are probably as close as we will get to ‘neutral experts’.

Furthermore, I see RM covering for others’ far more than I see them covering for him and if there is ever a goal line block or clearance to be made, it is more often than not RM who makes, but then again that’s my dominant thought!

In answer to firststeps original question, what position, I’m going with CB.

Agreed the abuse of RM is a great demonstration of bias failure in human thought processes

Of course I want klose straight in and him Straight out (I''m undecided who gets the second slot Bennett or bassong both have had equal good and bad patches) but there is a small part of me that would love Martin to get picked tonight just so when I''m in the ground and hear the team read out I can imagine the epic s4itstorm that has erupted on here!

I''m still waiting to hear who''s fault it is a that we fail to score so often when Russ is not cb. Hopefully this will not be the case if Klose replaces him.