Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Russell Martin

we should bang on about Martin''s handball goal saving action, similar to the binners Christophe Berra moment. Fast forward 12months, "we would have won the league today had the ball not hit Martins shirt sleeve....."

Thought Russ did what he had to do today so no blame from me.

Re the few idiots on twitter theres an easy answer, just don''t follow them and unfollow anyone who rt their tweets then you wont see what they''ve written

No, that''s not the answer.
The answer is to call them out for tweeting vile abuse to Norwich players.  If you just ignore it by unfollowing them, you are tacitly condoning it or just shrugging your shoulders and saying "oh well".
Tw*ts like the Twitter idiot need to be challenged.

You have a point Bor but I just cant be arsed to argue with them so ignore them instead.

Bit like the trolls on here, if people didn''t reply to them they would get bored and might give up.

I ll let you do the challenging.

Not seen much of the mugs on twitter, so can''t say anything about that. but back to the matter at hand which is RM -

I like to think of myself as one that doesn''t try to find a scapegoat, but maybe I am. I appear to be one of the few that though Martin didn''t have an allround great game yesterday. I had a knee-jerk reaction when he gave away the pen but since then calmer minds have prevailed and I see he really had no other choice - But I also thought he made quite a few mistakes that lead to needless chances for Man City. Granted, it was against one of the most expensive teams in Europe so there''s leeway for mistakes, but I think I would much rather Bennett and Bassong be the CB pairing until January with the way RB has been performing.

Having said that, I wouldn''t mind Martin playing in a fullback position.

Nothing to do with the compact formation and two defensive midfielders screening today then?

Nope, it''s simple, we are better defensively when he''s not it the team. I can''t see the argument, I''ve just witnessed a better performance and a clean sheet.

[quote user="firststeps"]Nope, it''s simple, we are better defensively when he''s not it the team. I can''t see the argument, I''ve just witnessed a better performance and a clean sheet.[/quote]

Yes, it is simple (and so are you) IT WAS A DIFFERENT FORMATION.

I reckon LDC and Hog will be crying whilst hugging their pillows tonight.

Perhaps they might make a video? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqSTXuJeTks

Sorry firststeps, that''s just anti-Martin bias. You can''t fairly compare a defensive performance at home to a terribly out-of-form Swansea, with a totally different approach and formation, to other results this season.

Swansea also got in behind us a few times and it was just poor finishing rather than great defence which prevented then scoring.

I like Ryan Bennett and am glad he''s in the squad, but I feel Bassong makes as many (if not more) mistakes than Martin, but escapes a lot more criticism. I get the feeling if we had kept a clean sheet with Martin you would have been saying it was inspite of him.

Thought Bennett was great today. Fantastic distribution as well, which is Russell Martin''s main quality. Can''t see Martin starting at CB again unless one of these two get injured.

This is ridiculous, it''s not an anti Martin post (from today), the facts speak for themselves. Martin wasn''t playing and defensively we looked better for it.

As much as I like Russ for his dedication and service to the club, I sadly can''t help but see a correlation between the two clean sheets we''ve kept this year and him not being in the side. Yes tactics and opposition play a part in the matter, and we may have still kept a clean sheet had he been available for selection today, but the truth is we haven''t kept a clean sheet since the play-off final with him in the side. Until we do start to keep clean sheets when Russ plays his detractors (of which I am not one, I just think he is a better right back than center back) will continue to use it as a stick to beat him with I am afraid.

Very pleased with the clean sheet today. Bennett has settled in very well at CB and personally would put him ahead of Bassong.

Still unsure about Wisdom though. I thought our tactics today really gave the defence extra support from the midfield today and Tettey was excellent. Our approach this season hasn''t given the defence as much support in other games, and I thought Swanseas approach was very negative today with most of their free kicks going backwards and passing it around in their own half.

Will Russ get back in the team? I don''t know but would be wrong in my opinion to break up the Bassong and Bennett partnership so maybe RB.

Poor bloke is still getting stick on Twitter and he didn''t even play!

[quote user="firststeps"]And thanks for making it personal ''load of squit'', a very appropriate name you have there![/quote]Stop being so precious.Notice you''ve avoided the bit about the different formation, maybe you haven''t realised it made more difference than the personnel involved.

Lol. Swansea were dog shite today and never looked On my way! Threatening. Had nothing to do with who was in defence, the opposition were just poor

I haven''t felt the need to reply to your post ''a load of sh**'' it''s imeterial, we''ve tried different ideas/formations/players all season, but the fact remains our clean sheets have come when Martin isn''t involved, now take your head out from up your ar*e (and Martins come to that) and accept the facts! Run along now!

[quote user="firststeps"]I haven''t felt the need to reply to your post ''a load of sh**'' it''s imeterial, we''ve tried different ideas/formations/players all season, but the fact remains our clean sheets have come when Martin isn''t involved, now take your head out from up your ar*e (and Martins come to that) and accept the facts! Run along now![/quote]

Well if you ever get to compare a different team in the same formation against the same opposition in the same venue then maybe you can use precedent in your arguement.

First time I''ve ever been grouped with LDC miggins but as they say a first for everything.

As it goes I thought the back four had a good game. Don''t think Bennett or Wisdom done anything better than Martin considering they were under little pressure. Saying that I wouldn''t change a back 4 that''s just kept a clean sheet.

but again your argument is flawed, every game of football is unique!

I will agree to disagree, and I believe the Martin momentum is shifting!

He will be back in the team for the Chelsea game as will the 5 across the back formation.

[quote user="firststeps"]but again your argument is flawed, every game of football is unique!

I will agree to disagree, and I believe the Martin momentum is shifting![/quote]

There is no momentum.