Sign in to follow this  
Van wink

Letting the manager down

Why is the club not giving AN the backing he needs to give him a chance of keeping us in the Prem.

Our failure to sign a quality striker and centre half could well have been a factor in the loss of our first game and tomorrow we go into a clash with potential relegation rivals without the squad he deserves.

I''m sure there are many reasons why we are failing in the transfer market and these need to be recognised and addressed with urgency, but as a fan I''m not that interested in the excuses, I just want to see our great manager given a fair chance.

Don''t forget that there was a striker (Joaquin something) who had reportedly had his medical and accepted terms only to be given the thumbs down at the last minute by AN.

The manager clearly had his valid reasons and we have to accept this, but I quite liked the sound of him, from a playing point of view.

I should imagine that there have been many ups and downs during the Summer, but do not really accept that the Club (McNally) is deliberately baulking at necessary re-enforcements against the manager''s wishes other than any which might go beyond the obvious limitations the Club has and which the manager will have likely accepted.

Without any detailed awareness of what''s going on behind the scenes why not safely assume that the people who have engineered three promotions in the last six seasons, have constructed arguably the most talented squad in our history and have already spent over ten million with weeks to spare and show no signs of stopping yet are doing everything they can for the good of Norwich City.

Have a little trust - they''ve earned at least that.

I doubt we spent 10 mil ,

I would imagine hull owed us money from the snoddy deal that''s why we bid 3.5 mil in the first place for brady ,

I would say around 6 to 7 mil has been spent

but I will agree hoe do we know McNally is saying money is here if you want it but AN has not had the scouting network he trusts to get the players we need ,

I imagine he is more about the manager not having the targets than us not having the money ....

Jeez, this whining is getting boring already.At least save it until the window has shut.

Here ''tis Mr. A:

#ncfc AN on targets: ''some of the players we have gone for do not c us as an attractive proposition. That is the reality.''

I''m sure the club is backing the manager and I also think Neil is right about our lack of attractiveness to prospective players. Geographically isolated on the east coast, with a young untried Premier League manager at the helm, unable to match the wage structure of some, of course players will have their heads turned by other clubs. This is not my view of course but I can see how those unfamiliar with our county and our fine city might see things differently.

FenwayFrank wrote the following post at 14/08/2015 8:20 AM:

So are they reasons or excuses ?

I think that''s the point Fenway, it doesn''t really make much difference, it''s the outcomes that are the measure as I''m sure McNally would agree.

[quote user="Two penneth "]I''m sure the club is backing the manager and I also think Neil is right about our lack of attractiveness to prospective players. Geographically isolated on the east coast, with a young untried Premier League manager at the helm, unable to match the wage structure of some, of course players will have their heads turned by other clubs. This is not my view of course but I can see how those unfamiliar with our county and our fine city might see things differently.[/quote]

This is correct, and likely the view of 90% of our possible targets. We are seen as destined to go down, and as such has luttle, or no, pulling power for players that would significantly improve our squad.

That said, I think our "egalitarian" wage structure has a lot of the blame. McNally and the board is afraid to ruin "togetherness" in the dressingroom, and dont want players who stand out in earnings compared to the rest.

Alongside the geographical placing, and general view as a somewhat small, well run "family club", there you have the reasons for having virtually no pulling power.

I knew this response would come - who exactly have Bournemouth signed that we would want or would strengthen our squad?

I suspect we are approaching players at a level above Bournemouth hence the reluctance. Also, look at the amount of media coverage Bournemouth are getting and will continue to get over the course of the season - makes it an attraction in itself - exposure for players regardless of Bournemouth''s success, therefore a good stepping stone in careers.

Oh, that and that Distin may want to retire to the south coast!

Our owners are listed as having £23m. i think Bournemouth''s have over £100m in assets.

"Maxim Victorovich Demin was born in October 1969, making him 45 years of age. The Russian has two homes in the UK – one in Weybridge, Surrey and another in Sandbanks. He bought a house in the Sandbanks area valued at £5million two years after buying a 50 per cent stake in the club during the 2010/11 season.

He in fact paid £10million in total as he had the house already there knocked down before building a new one. That is roughly the same amount that he has invested in Bournemouth.

He also has a house in Switzerland, where he currently resides."

I am guessing neither Watford, nor Bournemouth have rigid wage structures in pmace, because they are bankrolled by billionaires. They dont give a sh#te if a player is on 20k more than another player in the same dressingroom. But our board does, and therefore we will not be able to attract quality, even on the same level as Bournemouth has.

Pretty sure our wage structure has killed a lot of deals.

you have to break this tight wage structure sometime if it is holding us back its a problem !!

at clubs all over Europe each team has players on different wages I bet man utd team ranges from 50k a week to 250k

players have to be professional jonny evans / chris smalling don''t say we want to be on rooneys wages if not we are not playing

if they are good enough pay the bigger wages every player has a worth

[quote user="ron obvious"]Our owners are listed as having £23m. i think Bournemouth''s have over £100m in assets.

"Maxim Victorovich Demin was born in October 1969, making him 45 years of age. The Russian has two homes in the UK – one in Weybridge, Surrey and another in Sandbanks. He bought a house in the Sandbanks area valued at £5million two years after buying a 50 per cent stake in the club during the 2010/11 season.

He in fact paid £10million in total as he had the house already there knocked down before building a new one. That is roughly the same amount that he has invested in Bournemouth.

He also has a house in Switzerland, where he currently resides."[/quote]

Actually Ron, that poses an interesting question to put to people for me. A lot of EPL clubs are now in foreign ownership and appear to have ''sold their soul'' for a bit of gold (my opinion).

So, the question is - of the clubs in the Premier League this season, who would you most aspire to be like?

Corporate distant monsters like Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea? For me there are only 3 clubs - Southampton (although that could yet end messily - only takes Europa League and injuries and a bad run of form to see them sucked into a relegation battle - then we would see how serious the Liebherrs are), Swansea and Everton - who are similar to us only with consistent Prem money in their back pocket.

I guess at a push I would also include Stoke, as long as we don''t have to endure 5 or 6 years of anti football to get there first,

Go on, I''m truly interested in your views.

I''ll refer you to Cantiaci''s reply and add that this young manager has been given the opportunity to work with players way beyond the ability of the ones he was coaching in Scotland at a great club in one of the biggest leagues in the world.

I guess he knew we weren''t the wealthiest club in England when he took the job, so I very much doubt he''s complaining. And I''m sure he understands the club''s still working behind the scenes to improve the squad.

I''m also sure he partly got this job because of his supposed ability to get the absolute best out of what was available to him - something he did admirably at Hamilton and something he''s going to have to do here.

Whats the problem, why are we listing clubs who have very wealthy foreign owners- they are not wanted at Norwich by posters on this board, look what happened to Portsmouth ?

The majority of posters on this Board are deliriously happy with our Celebrity cook, her husband, one of her employees and a 2nd rate comedian running the show (lets blame DM for everything)

just enjoy the ride

Temp, I would aspire to no other club''s situation.

I freely admit I''m an odd one. I have no rational reason for my support, no affiliation, no natural connection to Norwich whatsoever. I just love the game, for it to be played by ''proper'' teams with ''proper'' players, owners, supporters .....

Norwich epitomises this for me. Fortuitous happenstance brought me here, & I see no reason to leave.

It is possible, of course, for these things to change, & my enthusiasm may then dwindle. But I can''t see this happening, because the club reflects something larger, which is the city & county itself. Which itself is an enduring version of England.

Daft it may be, but that''s the way I feel.

Ron, I guess I feel much the same as you. I am married to an Evertonian, and surrounded by clayhead Stoke fans, and I can only think it must be a very boring existence supporting those clubs - hopeful only of improving a league position by a place or two, maybe a cup run every now and then........

It''s certainly never dull supporting NCFC!

Temp

"It''s never dull supporting NCFC"

You either have a very short memory or are easily pleased.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Temp

"It''s never dull supporting NCFC"

You either have a very short memory or are easily pleased.[/quote]

Ha ha Vanwink - I meant in the big scheme of things! Face it, even though the football was dull under Hughton, we still always had something to play for!

In the last 15 years alone we have had 4 promotions (including 2 titles and a play-off final win), 3 relegations and an unsuccessful play-off final. And the seasons in the premier league that we survived were not assured until the last couple of games. Compare that to Stoke City........

See what I mean? It''s never dull, at least not for long!

[quote user="Vanwink"]Why is the club not giving AN the backing he needs to give him a chance of keeping us in the Prem.

Our failure to sign a quality striker and centre half could well have been a factor in the loss of our first game and tomorrow we go into a clash with potential relegation rivals without the squad he deserves.

I''m sure there are many reasons why we are failing in the transfer market and these need to be recognised and addressed with urgency, but as a fan I''m not that interested in the excuses, I just want to see our great manager given a fair chance.[/quote]Really?

Hi Lappy

Instead of making slick Trolly comments against genuine posts whats your view (if you have one )

Why are we not signing anyone in your opinion (if you have one) ?

Maybe it''s that AN doesn''t have the contacts, or the board lacks the willingness to invest, or the disintegration of our recruitment infrastructure has made player acquisition significantly more problematic - whatever the cause it doesn''t appear that we are to have a chance of survival this season. We lack a premier league defence and have only one premier league forward. Not a situation you want to be in with a six pointer tomorrow.

Vanwink "Why is the club not giving AN the backing he needs to give him a chance of keeping us in the Prem.

I''m sure there are many reasons why we are failing in the transfer market and these need to be recognised and addressed with urgency, but as a fan I''m not that interested in the excuses, I just want to see our great manager given a fair chance

lappinitup. "But as a fan"

Really?

Now then Lapps, that''s a classic comment from you, the sort you like to direct at fans who see things different to yourself.

You fell short of calling me a binner which is your usual stock comment, cos you''re pretty sure I''m a season ticket holder, which I am and have been for many years.

So maybe not a Binner but question whether I am a fan, when in fact I get to every home game and quite a few away games, chant and cheer for the team and give it 100% at every game I go to and support them all I can.

But I did question what Hughton was doing and I do question what''s going on now.

Sorry if that offends!!