Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

What Greeny meant to say!.

Green in EDP toady.

In a nutshell, he won''t commit completely to club, and he won''t make any promises to be here on August the 6th. He says he doesn''t mind playing for City (Jeez thanks!) and he will be happy to stay here if no one comes in for him.

Translation as I see it: If a premier team comes in for me, I''m off, Oh yeah Bob?, why don''t you go now!.

If we''re only good enough for you to use us as a stop gap, until something better comes along, then do we really need you in between the sticks?.

You''re overrated anyway, maybe thats why no one has come in for you.

Spot on, Wiz. I agree with every word you''ve said. You have to question Greeno''s intelligence here. When things were beginning to settle down nicely at FCR, he decides to upset the apple cart again by saying how uncertain his future with the club is. To my mind he could and should have stayed quiet. If I was Norwich City manager I would be sorely tempted to drop him. What is it you say at times like this, Wiz? Sod off!

having read the story on pinkun now i do feel you have a point wiz. so i apologise.

I think he is somewhat over rating himself. He would probably have been snapped up by now if he was that great. I dont really think hes being realistic, with robinson around he wil not make the world cup anyway. Also, pompey just bought another keeper so he doesnt seem to have any interest anyway

Wiz - what he actually says is that he is happy at Norwich, he is looking forward to the season and the first game at Coventry, but he can''t guarantee the club won''t sell him. He even mentions Jonson, who did want to stay and publicly said he was going nowhere, but got sold anyway. I presume we are reading the same article? http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/Sport/ click "Greeno unable to make promises". At no point does he say that he wants to go, or is looking to go.

Half the posters on this board would welcome selling him to get some money for the club, despite his terrific record for Norwich. There is no loyalty in the game anymore, not from players, not from club management, certainly not from fans. All Greeno is being is honest.

Get off the guys back, he has done nothing wrong at all.

[quote]Spot on, Wiz. I agree with every word you''ve said. You have to question Greeno''s intelligence here. When things were beginning to settle down nicely at FCR, he decides to upset the apple cart again by...[/quote]

Thank Gawd you can see it too Stephen. Although I wasn''t going to say it, sod it!.

SOD OFF!.

Does this article not boil down to peoples own interpretation?

The way I read it, he is just telling things the way he sees it.  It''s true that clubs DO sell players, and just as the season is, or has started. Malky last season springs to mind, I never saw that one coming until it was a done deal!!

And yes, Greeno has said it is not ideal that he is not playing in the Prem, but does it not also say its where EVERYONE wants to be?

I cant see anywhere in the article, where he states he doesn''t want to be or not happy with being a Norwich City player.

Get off his back and let him consentrate with the job ahead of him!!!

he could have done with just not saying anything, however i think what he meant is that he didnt want to pledge his future to the club as he knows he could be sold

I agree, Greeno B Mine, though you may be slightly biased in your view.

I''ve just finished reading the article and nowhere, and I mean nowhere does Greeno say he wants to be elsewhere? The closest he comes is saying its not ideal not being in the Prem, but points out that everyone at the club (and, lets face it, us fans as well) feels the same way! If someone would like to deliver the direct quotes to support their argument that Greeno wants away, then bring it on, however I feel that won''t be possible, at least not with a constructive argument to accompany it...

Interpretation is a wonderful thing, isn''t it....?

If Greeno has really said this then i''m very disappointed and would tend to agree with Wiz.  However it could be interpreted in different ways, therefore i shall reserve judgement!

I think that those who are concerned with Green''s attitude have logic on their side.

He has been a good goalkeeper, but he has also made some boobs, and although he had a poor defence in front of him last season, and had more shots to deal with than any other keeper in the Premiership, he is by no means the finished article yet, and he still has areas of weakness. How many more years has he on his contract. Nearer the time, perhaps, we shall find out how much he is vlued.

His attitude does not help -"I''ll play for you, so long as nothing better comes along", even though Ray Clements has assured him that he will not lose his place through relegation alone.

It would have been better if he had adopted the Ashton line, until the club was compelled(!) to sell him. As it is there is something of a sour taste in the mouth, and you have to wonder how the supporters will react!

[quote]Green in EDP toady. In a nutshell, he won''t commit completely to club, and he won''t make any promises to be here on August the 6th. He says he doesn''t mind playing for City (Jeez thanks!) and he will...[/quote]

Read it again...if the club decides to sell him,that is somehow Green being disloyal?give the poor b***er a break,sometimes Wiz I feel it would take both your fingers in a light socket to feel anything positive!!

It seems an honest piece to me  - saying its feasible he can leave but possible he will stay.  We have seen a player leave this summer through their own choice (Helveg & Sven) several leave as being unwanted but we have also seen one sold by the club despite wanting to stay because the offer for him became irresistable - Jonson.  The same could happen again.

Loyalty is a two way thing; and so far this season you could say city been un loyal to 7 players (possibly 9 had McVeigh & Gallagher leave) while only two have abandoned/been disloyal to city.  Green piece was a common sense summaary of what can possibly happen between now and 31st August - the same can still happen to Damo or Francis and the loss of any of these three will be a bitter blow to our promotion propsects.

Loyalty no longer exists in football apart from the fans - get used to it; its gone for good.

OTBC 

Spot on Wiz!!! you''re not waffling here, do''nt interpret it fans read what it says.  If he was an employee of mine i''d pat him on the back and give his cards.

Sadly Wiz is not spot on, he once again sees fit to find a negative in something that''s nothing. It''s clear as day what the piece says and Greeno''s merely stating the case that sometimes offers come in which the club accept and he can''t say whether that will happen or not.

Whether you regard the EDP piece as a subtle "come and get me" or simply as a statement of the obvious that every player has his price, the simple fact is that the whole report is unnecessary, unhelpful and divisive.

I can''t argue with the Wiz''s interpretation as it is consistent with the article.  So to is the view of the loyalists who say Greeno has not said he wants to leave.  We all know Greeno is concerned about his England career and we all know the club will sell if the price is right.  Are we any more informed this evening than 24 hours ago?  Of course not!!!

If I have to choose then I''m with the Wiz but the truth is that the Edp shouldn''t have asked the question and Greeno shouldn''t have answered it.  If this had been in a tabloid then we''d be screaming about press mischief making to unsettle a key player.  The whole business is unnecessary and should not have happened.

Isn`t it true that the agents of both Green AND Francis have been running around like blue a***d flies, trying to flog their clients to any prem club thats interested? and not a squeak from Green and Francis about wanting to stay with the club... shame it all went t*ts up after their c**pola perfomances  in the prem made them virtually unsaleable! what worries me more than anything in the coming season, is these two, obviously  dissatisfied, players just going through the motions [ Francis in particular ] and driving a wedge into the team spirit!!  I saw this happening in the later stages of last season... and I`m sure Worthy  had too, and hope, now that we have replacements for both of them, that he watches them like a hawk, and benches them at the first sign of lead swinging ... 

[quote]Sadly Wiz is not spot on, he once again sees fit to find a negative in something that''s nothing. It''s clear as day what the piece says and Greeno''s merely stating the case that sometimes offers come i...[/quote]

Of course I''m spot on.

If, what Green said wasn''t being ''negative'', what was it?. It certainly made for a lot of ''negative'' responses from City fans on this thread.

Green should have kept quiet.  Result - nothing.

Green opens his size 10 mouth. Result - speculation and division amongst fans.

See?, spot on!.

[quote]Of course I''m spot on. If, what Green said wasn''t being ''negative'', what was it?. It certainly made for a lot of ''negative'' responses from City fans on this thread. Green should have kept quiet. Re...[/quote]

Couldn''t agree with you more, Wiz. He''s obviously just putting himself in the shop window for one last desperate attempt to get a move before the end of the transfer window. I mean, why say it otherwise? He''s clearly being negative, and I don''t think his comments have been misinterpreted.

Has anyone noticed how quiet Campbell and Yankee have been on this subject?, so bloody quiet, its deafening!.

Suddenly their cosy interpretation of an ''alls wells'' City, is falling down around them.

Its true what they say: Silence IS golden!. 

Unlike you Wizard, I don''t feel I have to add ten cents worth on every particular post that''s treading water. However, given that you want to bait and, in order to make your day, I will respond. On this particular subject I said what I had to say in my "Letter To Mr. Green" thread. Should he still be with the club, I will give Green the benefit of the doubt until the season is underway. However, if I detect there is an attitude problem at that point by anybody in what I define as "the London boys", then I will be joining the chorus to remove any "cancer" from the team.

Saying anything further on the subject is premature.

Jeez - it is amazing how people can read so much different into the same article! 

Have to admit that I read it that he was happy enough and looking forward to the season but that he didn''t have a scooby if he''d be here as Jonson, who wanted to stay, was sold when an offer came in.  Don''t think it amounted to more than that, really. 

Thing is that when the media has added in its spin, in the form of various "he might mean this or that"-type paragraphs, you can get a completely different flavour to what was actually stated: for example in the pinkun article, it is the 7th paragraph before you even get to anything he said.

I think we have to interpret this as: Green is happy to stay with Norwich if no prem club comes in for him but, if they do, then he would probably leave to further his career and England chances. If Green definitely wanted to stay at Norwich then he could no matter what offers came in because Worthy has said he doesn''t want to and doesn''t have to sell Green. Jonson''s case is very different - he didn''t play well last season and he wanted to move when the offer came in because of the length of contract he was being offered. If Jonson really didn''t want to go then he didn''t have to - he could have turned down the move even with Norwich accepting the bid!

I''m not surprised at at what Green has said and I don''t think he has revealed anything new. I think we all realised that he would probably want to move back to the prem to increase his England chances once relegated. While I don''t think he needed to comment like this, at least he isn''t actively seeking a move away from Norwich forcing the club to sell him! I wouldn''t be surprised if he''s still here at the beginning of the season though - I can''t see any teams paying £2.5+ million for a second choice keeper and I don''t think he''s proven himself enough at Prem level yet to secure a move as a first choice keeper!

Green is one of our best players. Like all goalkeepers his mistakes will stand out (Schmeichel made many, but is still heralded as the prem''s best ever). He has done brilliantly for the club and we would be much worse off without his presence over the last few seasons.

To slag him off for his diplomatic and honest comments regarding transfers is outrageous.

Hang your head in shame Wiz and his followers!

[quote]Green is one of our best players. Like all goalkeepers his mistakes will stand out (Schmeichel made many, but is still heralded as the prem''s best ever). He has done brilliantly for the club and we wo...[/quote]

Hang MY head in shame Tufnell?, you''re having a laugh son!.

If anyone''s head should be hung in shame, its Green''s and other players who won''t commit completely to City, not I.

Yankee: The reason I reply in my own threads is very simple, posters ask me direct questions which deserve direct answer''s.

If this does not happen much in your threads or posts, then I can only suggest that your threads and post''s, or indeed even you, weren''t up to much to start with!.