Sign in to follow this  
Sparta Plastic

Sunderland Away

Greetings from the USA.

As a Norwich fan I’ve been a reader of this board for quite a while but been reluctant to actually join because of all the disparaging talk about “plastics”. In my case it’s a bit difficult/expensive to attend Norwich games regularly when you live 3,500 miles from Carrow Road and only visit the UK every other year or so: I grew up in Mildenhall but I’ve lived in the USA since 2002 and the last Norwich game I actually went to was the playoff final against Birmingham.

However, I’m going to be back in the UK this August staying with my sister near Glasgow – a mere three and a half hours drive from Sunderland (when you’ve lived in the USA for 13 years you get used to driving bloody miles for everything) so I am seriously tempted to try and get there for the game on Aug 15th. My kids (8 and 10) are potty about football and the Premier League in particular, and it would potentially make a great day out.

Since I haven’t been to a game in England for 13 years, I’m a bit out of touch with the practicalities - what would be my best options ticket-wise? Would it be better/cheaper/easier to try for the away section or go in as a “neutral” with the Sunderland fans? As far as I’m aware the Stadium of Light is a pretty welcoming place for teams other than Newcastle, and I’m not exactly the troublemaking type, so what do you think?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks

OTBC

Sunderland away you should be okay for tickets. I''d say it''s probably still best to book in advance though as some grounds are funny about away fans paying on the door.

As for the fans etc, they are fine towards us lot. There''s a even a friendly cup we play for!

The stadium itself is excellent and there are plenty of places to park close by alternatively it''s a short ride from the station.

Might even see you there as i''m from up that end of England anyway!

You *MUST* get in the away end! The experience of being with a couple of thousand City fans for our first away game in the PL will be 1000 times better than sitting on your hands with the home fans, unable to celebrate every time we score.

I can''t say how hard it will be to get tickets but the distance from CR has to be in your favour. If you''re lucky it will be on TV so reducing demand further.

Thanks for the replies - I''ve had a quick look at the tickets page on Sunderland''s website and it seems they price their games by categories A, B, and C with A games the priciest. Can''t imagine our game would be A, so would it likely be C? And it''s not clear if Sunderland are one of those clubs that charge away fans more than home fans - can anyone confirm?

Also I''m assuming that to get visiting tickets you can get them direct from them and you don''t have to go through the Norwich ticket office? As I said it''s been a while since I went to a game in England....

Agree you "must" be in the away end, and if you can remember how OTBC should be sung you can maybe teach those of who sing it too fast !

Seriously I would suggest getting in touch with both clubs 4 weeks prior, and see about getting tickets (Norwich may not sell the full allocation to ST, Priority etc) if they have sold all at NCFC then sunderland may sell some in the away end if not all allocated. Good luck.

Buddy, I reckon a season ticket holder should be good for a ticket for Sunderland. If the points are the same 1,000 should be enough? I also reckon there will be 20,000 + season ticket holders with no intention of going to Sunderland. You joinig this community is a good start.

I can''t help you because my ticket would be allocated in the blackcat blankets.

How does a season ticket holder get three tickets for somebody else?

I won''t be going to any away games this season for various reasons, so I would be happy to lend my points :)

Last time I went to the Stadium of Light I froze my knackers off while singing "we all dream of a team of Wilbrahams" relentlessly with about 50 others. We played horrendously, Frazier Campbell scored that ridiculous volley and we lost 3-0.Looking forward to visiting early in the season.

I reckon you should be able to get tickets for this match. I,m hoping to go with my son. We are staunch Norwich fans, but will be going up with my father in law, brother in law, and his two boys, who are all Sunderland mad. My father in law and my wife used to live in Roker, but moved down here years ago. Really looking forward to this game. Last time i went up there with them, we ended up with a Sunderland pub crawl. But all their fans were fantastic, Friendly rivalry. Anyone going up there, take a trip down to sea front and beach. Its surprisingly nice if weather good. Not at all what you expect from a northern industrial city.

Been to Sunderland a few times. Always very friendly, easy to park - and early in the season will be a good atmosphere. I regularly travel away on my own, and our away support are also very welcoming, happy to chat, and good company.

Hope you get in the away end, make some noise and some new friends.

[quote user="Canary Dogg"]It''s kinda inevitable that this would start to happen when we got back in the premier league. Deep sigh[/quote]

Waveney - your team is still in the Chsmpionship. Deal with it.

To the OP - it''s hard to say if we''ll be oversubscribed for Subderland, the year before last we weren''t so it depends whether the novelty of being back in the Prem and it being the opening game plus the recent experience of the playoff final create extra demand

If you want tone sure you could always pay £20for an away season ticket then let it lapse after the 1 game, so it would basically cost you £20 extra to be sure of getting a ticket. I would, if I hadn''t seen City since the last playoff final!

Thanks for all the replies - plenty to chew over.

On an unrelated note: heard from my sister this morning that she''s been working with Dion Dublin this week (she works in TV) and says he''s a top bloke.