Sign in to follow this  
Platonic

Singing "On The Ball City"

[quote user="cornish sam"]Why don''t they just stick the original on the tannoy at some point before kickoff, at the end of matches and sometimes just before the second half kicks off to fire up the crowd, people will soon learn the correct speed/tune. This is what Leeds Rhinos do with Marching on Together and when you''re in the middle of the South Stand that really does send a shiver down your spine even with the backing track. If people are too precious about singing along to the record, just fade it out once people have joined in, it would make more sense then having the bloomin countdown![/quote]

Best idea I''ve seen on here so far

is it possible that we could have a West Ham/Liverpool style start to a game where the ORIGINAL OTBC is played via the PA for the full 3:12 duration before kick off - it would be FANTASTIC!

Here are two comments under the original full song on youtube:

- "As a City fan for more than 30 years, this always makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and fills my heart with pride and emotion. OTBC. So so proud to be a yellow."

And I agree with this comment:

- "This is known as the oldest song in world football.

It is our heritage, it belongs to us and no-one else - it is FANTASTIC!

This should be remastered, and be given it large before every home game."

Cornish Sam - yep either the original or the boy Isaac''s version. That should help.

Barclay Seats - I was there too, lower tier south side, halfway between our East End hardcore and Boro fans. My experience / reading of the balance was the same as yours.

Hey - at least everyone seemed to know the words & tune to ''Yellows, yellows, yellows''. Lol

[quote user="Jacks Back"]^ i was there, in the lower tier, in the noisiest part of the ground, and i still agree that Boro out-sung us. That was until we scored twice, and then obviously we did all the singing. But before the game and the goals, they were far far louder. Im sorry but it''s true.[/quote]

This ^^^.  I thought the Boro singing was phenomenal before the match.  Could hear noise from our fans before the match, but not the same level of co-ordinated chanting that came from the other end.  Acoustics are obviously different in different parts of football grounds and it may have seemed different elsewhere at our end, but their simple chants were loud and clear, ours beforehand seemed more disorganised.  Plenty of OTBC going on around the place, but a full on 40,000 co-ordinated OTBC didn''t seem to happen.  The only way it might have worked is if the announcer had led it, but then a lot of us couldn''t hear him...... 

We more than made up for it later though......

We have an aging attendance due to the ridiculously high number of season ticket holders we have. This doesn''t help the noise levels at the ground.

Secondly we''re there to watch the football - it''s not an Xfactor audition... So let''s not worry too much about ''how loud we sound''...

Some of you need your ears testing

We were louder than boro, a lot louder during the game

Buh wrote

Simply put Buh but true.

[quote] Firstly ,, IMO the OP is a binner pig troll .

Secondly I am surprised nobody else has thought the same or mentioned it .

Lastly , after the game began at Wembley I only really heard borough twice , when they got a corner and after a particular attack ,, which broke down andovtheybreturned to silence .

I am sure that those who state that the Norwich supporters were " out sung" must have been watching on the TV , or radio , as standing in the second tier I was proud of the almost constant singing , even if it was at a different pace or timing to some other sections ,, maybe you had to be there ?[/quote]

Sigh.

Happily, I will never support Ipswich. And I was at Wembley, and it was a glorious day.

To those who are behind the idea, thanks! I agree having a pre-match blast of OTBC in the same way Leeds or West Ham do would work wonders.

To those who feel that the noise is the important factor, regardless of unity, fair enough. I''m not saying we stop making noise, or even chanting separate chants, all game, all I''m saying is that it would be a powerful tool to have as fans to be able to all rally together as one in a stadium-wide rendition of OTBC, which to be practical requires a slower tempo and a tune, and to achieve this would take some effort and organisation.

Buh wrote

Bury wrote

Simply put Buh but true.

I also noticed as I walked back to my car afterwards, that all the Boro fans were a miserable bunch, hardly a smile anywhere, on the other hand the Norwich fans were smiling and still singing, and this some 3 or so hours after their rendition of Boro, Boro or whatever it was, must be the North / South divide again.

fascinating find @lake district canary. I was looking for a video showing it sung like that.

That is how it should be now! The current one seems too quick and overall just sounds a bit rubbish like it is lacking something.

OTBC is an incredible song when sung properly- ie with gusto and passion particularly up to the crescendo. It seems everyone has an excuse not to stand up and belt it out. It`s too fast. It`s a dirge. The words are old and embarrassing. Basically "I can`t be bothered to sing with a bit of passion ,but I`m gonna moan that other people aren`t doing it right."

The playoff home game Barclay block B standing up the entire game and I`d say 10% of the block were properly getting behind the team. Didn`t hear a peep out of two blokes on my right, and at half time they were moaning about the lack of atmosphere! The sad truth is that modern tv-reared fans expect (along with entertaining and winning football) the atmosphere to be provided for them.

As one of the original snakepitters I know that is basically what has happened there. People move there for the atmosphere whilst having absolutely no desire to help create it.