Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

big name players

Following the great thread on the imminent signing of dzeko, what do people think of us signing a big name player who is past their peak but potentially useful like cambiasso or berbatov?

Any area in particular we could use more experience?

The more I think about it, distin wouldn''t be the worst signing.

The big name but ageing player is generally regarded as not being a great idea - often unmotivated and thoughts more on where to retire and their golfing handicap. Also the potential issue of having to adjust to a new league late in their career.

Norwich bringing in Helveg with little success is a prime example.

However, Big Sam''s Bolton showed that it can be very successful - JayJay Okocha and Youri Djorkaeff helped Bolton to establish themselves as a top 10 team for a little while. Cambiasso at Leicester was voted their player of the year and his experience was invaluable to them.

I wouldn''t be against it personally, but would rather the club bring in younger players who can develop and improve the club (and their value). You do worry that clubs can get dazzled by the spotlight a big name brings with them, forgetting that they might not be appropriate for the team.

As for Distin - no thanks. Too slow to work in Alex Neil''s relatively high line.

I certainly think there is a place for an ageing player

Dion was superb upon his return

Huckerby was not old, but what he brought was exceptional

Some other players we have brought in Martin Peters, Gary Megson, Peter Grant brought some experience and calmness to the group. Although I would say that Grant and Megson were not flair players. But it proves my point they do not have to be flair players. Bellamy is very complimentary of Peter Grant in his book and what an influence he was.

What Scott Parker did at Fulham before their collapse was lift a team, it felt like he lifted them to beat us twice or more.

I do like a player who has that guile, ability and calmness. So an experienced head can come in. Again it is a different challenge and often when a player gets older they want that challenge and relish different goals. So I would say some are quite motivated. But we do need pace and strength at the back. I would like a more senior centre half and a few more polished players as we do have a few work in progress players on our books.

Age is largely irrelevant - it is all about the player having the right motivation and ability; if they are good enough they are old enough is often used for youngsters but the same applies in reverse to older players.

We have a history of this with peters, channon, hux and dublin - and Juve seem to be successfully doing the same in recent years too.

Getting the balance right is the key - Juve mixing experience with talented youngsters such as Pogba shows what can be acheived.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Age is largely irrelevant - it is all about the player having the right motivation and ability; if they are good enough they are old enough is often used for youngsters but the same applies in reverse to older players.

We have a history of this with peters, channon, hux and dublin - and Juve seem to be successfully doing the same in recent years too.

Getting the balance right is the key - Juve mixing experience with talented youngsters such as Pogba shows what can be acheived.[/quote]

This ^^.

ZLF is spot on. If you want to bring in a player, they have to be able to give you quality on a consistent basis to the level you require.

Dzeko for me, at 29, isn''t that old for the role he plays. Players supposedly peak around 27-31. However, if, like Gerrard, they are good at 18 it doesn''t really matter when they peak if you know you have quality on your hands.

The likes of Berbatov for me, fall into the category that they could have been one of the worlds best but their lack of consistency through attitude or other aspects of their game such as focus or approach, mean that their reliability has been questioned. That sort of player maybe worth a risk to a team that is say, mid table, but for teams coming up, who need every squad member to be able to fight and push to have a successful season, he is just not what we need.

That said, I highly doubt Dzeko would come to Norwich.

Ricky van Wolfswinkel? A big name''s not always a guarantee of quality.

Depends very much on the motivation of the player, Mick Channon was a revelation at the time and the stand out City player class wise in 84/85.

The problem there, 1982, is that we got relegated that season!

I''m not opposed to a ''senior'' player coming in, but we''d need to be careful that we choose someone who doesn''t just turn up for the money expecting an easy life/to ease their way into retirement/isn''t up to it any more.

Branston, granted we did but I think that was more to do with the Milk Cup distraction rather than Channon''s contribution.

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]Jan Veneggor of Hesselink and Giovanni van Bronckhorst would be big name signings.[/quote]

I like these as big names.

What about: Reza Ghoochannejhad

Thats a pretty big name.