Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Some of you may never have heard of Stan Bowles

but others on here have, and the poor bar steward has Alzheimers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33213128

A super player to watch, even when he was playing against your team

Life is pants sometimes

Read his biography a few years ago.

He got up to all sorts of tricks with regular sidekick and scapegoat Don Shanks.

Two highlights for me are his performance on Superstars - especially the shooting - and a trip to Roker Park in 1973 when he had a private bet he could knock the FA Cup from a presentation table on the side of the pitch.

The Mackems wanted to kill him that night apparently!

A real 70s character - you don''t see ''em nowadays. 

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]but others on here have, and the poor bar steward has Alzheimers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33213128

A super player to watch, even when he was playing against your team

Life is pants sometimes[/quote]Unless memory deceives me he scored a hattrick against us in a 3-0 home win for Carlisle in the 1971-72 season. He was certainly in the QPR side that we beat 3-2 at Carrow Road to end their chance of wining the league in 1975-76. One of his managers said that if he could have passed a betting shop as he passed a football he would have rivalled the best.

Stan the Man, this sort of news really gets to me, a larger than life character, hit by a shocking disease that has affected some of our own, terrible.😰

I''m sad for him as I am sad for all sufferers and families of Alzheimer''s sufferers, but I don''t understand why anyone who was once famous and gets ill and dies (which is everyone who was once famous) gets a sympathy thread on a message board of a club he never played for.
No, I am not trolling.  I genuinely don''t get it.
Good footballer in his day etc etc., but there are probably people living less than fifty yards from us with Alzheimers or worse and I doubt we even know their names.

Exactly Bor. one can feel sympathy for people in this situation but fame or otherwise is irrelevant. The famous are no more deserving of sympathy than any other Tom, Dick or Harry.

Bor Bor Bor wrote the following post at 21/06/2015 8:01 PM:

I''m sad for him as I am sad for all sufferers and families of Alzheimer''s sufferers, but I don''t understand why anyone who was once famous and gets ill and dies (which is everyone who was once famous) gets a sympathy thread on a message board of a club he never played for.

No, I am not trolling. I genuinely don''t get it.

Provides a refreshing change to the Bennett threads that we have found time to waste on. A comment on life, that''s all it is, but why not, set against the other threads at this time.😄

Any true football supporter will shed a tear for Stan. One of those guys who was a joy to watch and who should have been an England regular. Forget rivalries,Stan was a genius !!!

Bor,the point of my thread was twofold really

If I''d told you the name of my mate, who I used to work with, who is in a home with Alzheimers, then you would have been sympathetic I''m sure, but questioned why I told you lot about it.

If I''d started a thread purely about Stan Bowles footballing abilities, then there would have been a few nice memories (yes, even though he never played for us, but you can still appreciate his skills), as some have listed.

I have coupled Bowles famous footballing prowess, with the news of this awful disease, to try and accentuate the awareness to all. If it means that someone reading this becomes aware of a neighbour

who has Alzheimers, and acts upon it, then surely that''s a good thing?

Peace to all

When I llived in London in the 90s Stan could often be found in a pub in Brentford or Richmond. Always more than happy to have a chat but sometimes it was difficult to understand what he was saying if it was after 5pm. Liked his pop, maybe a bit much.

Funny old game wrote the following post at 21/06/2015 10:10 PM:

When I llived in London in the 90s Stan could often be found in a pub in Brentford or Richmond. Always more than happy to have a chat but sometimes it was difficult to understand what he was saying if it was after 5pm. Liked his pop, maybe a bit much.

Does the old "pop" give you Alzheimer''s

Wouldn''t be surprised , every glass of Malbec knocks out a few million brain cells,

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Exactly Bor. one can feel sympathy for people in this situation but fame or otherwise is irrelevant. The famous are no more deserving of sympathy than any other Tom, Dick or Harry.[/quote]Except that instead of sensibly staying silent or expressing mild sympathy your immediate reaction was to demean what is a personal tragedy for Bowles and his loved ones by coming up with a deeply unfunny and really not clever at all cultural reference the only purpose of which was to buff up your own ego.

As someone whose mother died from this disease and having spent hours sitting with her whilst she had no idea who I was as she was shut within her own world I won''t be lectured by someone whose own pomposity is reflected in their user name signature of sun drenched tax haven.

That is indeed horrendous Crafty for you and your family, but can you see what I was trying to do with this thread?

It is a football forum, and I was trying to use Bowles famousisity (!?) to highlight, and bring into peoples minds, this awful disease.

Like I said, if I had started a thread about my mate, there would have been a modicum of sympathy for him, from you guys (as we would show for your dear Mum) but using the footballing link, does (like it or not) raise the thinking of people on here.

There are positive and negatives about being ''famous'', this (albeit very sad) tale is being used by me, to heighten awareness , that''s all.

That''s not a bad thing is it?

Crabby, I fully understand where you are coming from and have no issue with it at all. What I find mawkish is this modern trend of public grieving by people who have no relationship with the bereaved. The public reaction to Princess Diana''s demise is a classic example. I find it reminiscent of the professional mourners paid to attend funerals in Victorian times.

For the families and close friends of those involved it is, of course, a tradegy. For the rest of us it is just the cycle of life.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]As someone whose mother died from this disease and having spent hours sitting with her whilst she had no idea who I was as she was shut within her own world I won''t be lectured by someone whose own pomposity is reflected in their user name signature of sun drenched tax haven.[/quote]I am sorry about your mother but in that case it just makes your initial flippant reaction to the news about Stan Bowles all the more bafflingly out of place. As to my signature, like those of other posters, that is a joke. And I assumed a rather obvious one. It is self-deprecating and the opposite of pompous. If I really did live in a tax-haven the last thing I would do is boast about it.

My flippant reply was based on the fact that nothing can be done about Alzheimers and sad as it is for the Bowles family that''s life and we have to get on with it. There is now a blood test being developed that will identify Alzeimers about 10 years before the symptoms show themselves. Would you want to take a test that might reveal that you are 10 years from the awful effects of this disease and there''s not a damn thing you or anyone else can do about it? What a joyful prospect!

I realise your signature was also flippant but would not describe it as self-deprecating unless it is a creative description of the Larkman, Marlpit, Heartsease or someother estate. 

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]

My flippant reply was based on the fact that nothing can be done about Alzheimers and sad as it is for the Bowles family that''s life and we have to get on with it. There is now a blood test being developed that will identify Alzeimers about 10 years before the symptoms show themselves. Would you want to take a test that might reveal that you are 10 years from the awful effects of this disease and there''s not a damn thing you or anyone else can do about it? What a joyful prospect!

I realise your signature was also flippant but would not describe it as self-deprecating unless it is a creative description of the Larkman, Marlpit, Heartsease or someother estate. 

[/quote]I hope I would be brave enough to want to know, not least because it would be a spur to fit in as much living as one could in those 10 years.

Easy to say but I suspect the reality of what awaits will always come back to haunt you. Also if you don''t have the money to live life to the full it won''t be so great. In any case once the first seven years have passed it would be a hugely depressing thought for what the future holds.