Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

The Championship 15-16

During this lull before the storm I am thinking it might be fun giving some thought as to how the Championship might evolve next season.

I could have put it differently by suggesting that we spare a moment for our lesser brethren in the Chumps, but the ''nouveau riche'' stance doesn''t sit well with me.

Derby are the front runners in the transfer market and their recent signings include Darren Bent and Andreas Weimann. This is much to the chagrin of the TWTDers who cry FFP in unison. They even hoped for Bent, feeling that he would play for peanuts due to his (perceived) "love" of Town. Odds: 5-1.

Hull (7-1) are also fancied, and rightly so, IMO, as I feel that they were unlucky to go down last season (eg. with Snoddy''s injury amongst other factors.)

Boro should be there or thereabouts again, whilst you can discount neither moneybags QPR nor well-run and managed Burnley.

Dark horse: Fulham? Despite all, they never seem far from the limelight.

2015/16 Championship Odds (Paddy Power) Other front runners.

Middlesbrough

Burnley

QPR

Brentford

Nottingham Forest

Ipswich

Fulham

Binners, by and large, refute this as many of them seem to feel that they are nailed on certainties for the play-offs, at least, and that they will pass us "on the way down."

My money would not go on that lost cause though, but an E/W on Brentford might pay dividends.

New boys? Bristol City, MKD, PNE --- I see no Norwich Citys there, although Brizzle did rather romp it so they must not be discounted.

Interesting league, even as a voyeur, and to those of like mind, please note that the Football League Show will switch channels next season (Ch. 4?) and will be broadcast at a civilised hour on Saturday nights.

I don''t know what the stats are but has any team been relegated and then gone back up as champions?  E/W on Burnley looks a good bet, Dyche is shrewd.
I think Derby might be the dark horses, they looked a good side until they imploded & a half decent new manager should be able to get them playing again.
Money on Middlesbrough for me though, they know how to win ugly & in the Champs that''s all it takes.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]I don''t know what the stats are but has any team been relegated and then gone back up as champions?  E/W on Burnley looks a good bet, Dyche is shrewd.
I think Derby might be the dark horses, they looked a good side until they imploded & a half decent new manager should be able to get them playing again.
Money on Middlesbrough for me though, they know how to win ugly & in the Champs that''s all it takes.
[/quote]Certainly Newcastle United in 2009-10, with Chris Hughton as manager. Possibly others.

"I think Derby might be the dark horses, they looked a good side until they imploded & a half decent new manager should be able to get them playing again."

Derby are the favourites.

Boro do know the score in that league and perhaps their elevation is overdue.

Any three but you know who for me.

I think as always there will be a surprise package, just hope that it isn''t the binners.
My money is on Derby, Hull and Boro. So that''s them sunk then [;)]

It''s a great league - hard to predict.

I fancy Hull and Derby to be in the mix. Boro lost loan players and need to replace with quality. Always think it is hard to go again after losing the final anyway.

I think Preston for the play offs, and possibly Bristol for an automatic. Wolves are a strong unit if they can add a couple.

I think wolves may do well but so many players to move its hard to tell at the mo.   I suspect just one of the relegated teams will bounce back

And to complete an unhappy prediction I would quite enjoy an ipswich promotion

A filled relegation spot the year after and points for us - perfect

Tough to call at this stage, until most of the summer signings are in place, I will go for Derby 1st, Wolves 2nd and i reckon Burnley out of the relegated sides to finish 3rd, feel Hull will cave in and sell their best players as will QPR., I5w1pch to get relegated.

I5w1pch ??

Get it right Lessingham. They didn''t win.

1p5wich peerlees.

Your sentiments are spot on though.

Derby are certainly putting a useful squad together ,the biggest uncertainty with them will be their manager/coach...which we found it the first half of last season IS the most important thing to have right at any club.

If the season started today,Hull would be runaway favourites but with a fair few weeks left before the transfer window shuts,who knows many many of their players will leave, but a side with McGregor,Robertson,Davies,Dawson,Diame,Huddlestone,Livermore (if he hasnt been sacked?),a fit Snodgrass,N''Doye,Jelavic,Hernandez etc "should " walk that league with 100 points.

Burnley will face a tough task to repeat automatic promtion again, but should be good enough for the playoffs

for Middlesbro,a lot will depend on how many loan players Karanka can persuade his mate Mourinho to lend them.

I''d expect the like of Wolves and Forest to be around the playoff positions.

Ipswich?.....they will be nowhere near it next season. Their one-dimensional long ball play showed signs of being found out at the back end of last season,let alone trying it again this., they even lost the last game of the season and only limped into the playoffs through Derby blowing up......back to another season of mid-lower table obscurity for the blue filfth, hopefully worse.

I agree that the Binners will not make the top 6. That isn''t my green and yellow heart saying that. I genuinely believe their limited squad will not sustain any long term push.

Derby for me, along with Burnley and Hull should take the other top 3 positions.

I think Forest will have a much better season than last, and Boro need to find another dimension, now that Bamford has gone back.

Will be interesting to see how Brentford fare,having lost Warburton and Pritchard

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]During this lull before the storm I am thinking it might be fun giving some thought as to how the Championship might evolve next season.

I could have put it differently by suggesting that we spare a moment for our lesser brethren in the Chumps, but the ''nouveau riche'' stance doesn''t sit well with me.

Derby are the front runners in the transfer market and their recent signings include Darren Bent and Andreas Weimann. This is much to the chagrin of the TWTDers who cry FFP in unison. They even hoped for Bent, feeling that he would play for peanuts due to his (perceived) "love" of Town. Odds: 5-1.

Hull (7-1) are also fancied, and rightly so, IMO, as I feel that they were unlucky to go down last season (eg. with Snoddy''s injury amongst other factors.)

Boro should be there or thereabouts again, whilst you can discount neither moneybags QPR nor well-run and managed Burnley.

Dark horse: Fulham? Despite all, they never seem far from the limelight.

2015/16 Championship Odds (Paddy Power) Other front runners.

Middlesbrough

Burnley

QPR

Brentford

Nottingham Forest

Ipswich

Fulham

Binners, by and large, refute this as many of them seem to feel that they are nailed on certainties for the play-offs, at least, and that they will pass us "on the way down."

My money would not go on that lost cause though, but an E/W on Brentford might pay dividends.

New boys? Bristol City, MKD, PNE --- I see no Norwich Citys there, although Brizzle did rather romp it so they must not be discounted.

Interesting league, even as a voyeur, and to those of like mind, please note that the Football League Show will switch channels next season (Ch. 4?) and will be broadcast at a civilised hour on Saturday nights.[/quote]

Chanel 5 @ 9pm I believe.

This years Championship looks very balanced to me. The clubs are almost sorted out into those who should be in the top and second division based on size, are (Bournemouth and Sheff Utd two obvious exceptions)

Derby have to re-group, Middsboro will not be the force next season they were this imo, unless they can keep Bamford, so the clubs I would like to see promoted are Brentford, Brighton and Bristol City.  Not because they begin with Br, but because they are excellent community clubs with great fans.   Brighton and Brentford are good  away days  (and I would like to see Hughton succeed too), Brentford will do well again and Brighton will be a tough team to beat, Bristol City have momentum from L1 to help them and have very good players too.

The Championship is 100% one of the most difficult leagues to predict, however this would be my top 6...

C) Derby

P) Middlesborough

PO) Hull City

PO) Burnley

PO) Bolton

PO) Blackburn

Got a feeling Brentford will lose their core set of players and with Pritchard going back to his parent club, I can''t see them repeating last seasons form. The remaining relegated team won''t bounce back again, QPR will finish mid table.

Relegated...

Huddersfield/Rotherham/Sheffield Wednesday

[quote user="lake district canary"]the clubs I would like to see promoted are Brentford, Brighton and Bristol City[/quote]

These are also the 3 I would LIKE to be promoted. Brentford and Brighton as they seem like genuinely great clubs and Bristol as they are the only team in the south west that could potentially be in the same league as us in the near future making a short away trip for me.

My predictions for the top 6 are

Hull

Derby

Middlesbrough

Forest

Wolves

Brentford

with Bristol, Bolton and Burley just missing out.