Sign in to follow this  
england1966

DeAndre Yedlin

Looked great in the World Cup, not really made an impact at Spurs though. As the article mentions we didn pretty well with the last right back on loan from Spurs so wouldn''t be unhappy with this move.

This will serve to heighten our profile among American fans. He was raised in Germany, fathered by a US serviceman. Klinnsmann has several of these players on the US national team.

If this is true, Yedlin would be a god send. His speed makes him an absolutely deadly defender. When he makes mistakes he''s got easily enough pace to turn around, chase down his man, and make up for his mistake. Lastly he is great at pushing the ball forward and becoming a winger and creating opportunities. I have watched him a lot playing for our national team and his is an absolutely breathtaking player.

on talk sport this week they expected a lot of players to leave spurs full time

and apart from a couple most of the players only had wages within the reach of all the premier league teams and most top flight teams in Europe

so might be a purchase

Lots of hype around Yedlin, but hasn''t really done much to deliver on it yet - Klinsmann has moved him to right wing for the national team recently and he has also played left back, so he is versatile at least.

He is ridiculously fast which is much needed, but he often uses that pace to cover up that his positioning is suspect.

Could be another Kyle Naughton, but equally could be another De Laet.

Permanent or loan with an agreement to a permanent deal but please, not a loan deal.

I do not want to see another Kyle Naughton scenario when we develop a young player for another club, have him become an integral part of our team and then lose him.

The loan system is currently being greatly abused by the top clubs and has completely lost the reason for its creation i.e. to help clubs in need out.

Chelsea have over 70 contracted players. Many of those will be loaned out to other clubs mainly for Chelsea''s benefit not the club they are ''helping out''.

So if we have him and Olsson playing full backs, surely we''d have to have 2 deep lying cm''s to compensate or Tettey will be running around like a nutter trying to cover them both!

Naughton''s loan didn''t really benefit him.

Had it been a permanent deal he would have continued to have been a regular first team player who would have developed much further than Spurs Reserves where he returned to.

After making 32 Premier Division appearances for us, and proving to be one of the best young English fullbacks in the league, Spurs called him back to be an understudy and his career stalled.

He could easily have pushed on close to an international call up had he not spent too long warming the bench at Spurs.

I was impressed in the World Cup by his pace, enthusiasm/determination and attacking ability, not so much his defensive qualities. Still, I would be very happy if we signed him either on loan or permanently.

If he hadn''t been loaned out he would have had 32 less starts than that. His career didn''t stall too hard, he played 26 times the following season and 34 the one after that. The loan to Norwich proved to Tottenham he was capable of playing in the Prem - lets not start revising history to make him out to be ''one of the best English fullbacks'' - he performed well for a mid-table club (although was dropped from time-to-time under Lambert also).

He didn''t progress as much as Tottenham probably hoped, so he moved clubs to a top 10 Premier League club. His career hardly stalled.

I read this on Twitter. This is one of the only rumours that has genuinely excited me, that and Mulumbu.

Actually, no. It''s not true. Indy Bones told me that anything I read on Twitter is nonsense. Lets put this one to bed.

I am encouraged by both this link and the Mulumbu deal which sounds as though it may be close. It bodes well that Neil seems to be going for players with pace and power which is what you need in the premier league these days.

In particular, pace at right back has been a weakness of ours for a while and one that was exploited quite a few times in the championship so certainly something that needs addressing. Whitaker is good going forward but suspect defensively when he gets caught up the pitch. It sounds as though Yedlin is similar but perhaps has more pace to get back and recover if caught out of position. Positional sense/responsibility is something that can be coached. Genuine pace is something that can''t.

Bethnal - I will agree not to revise history as far as opinion is concerned but will say that of his 26 appearances when he went back to Spurs many were in Europe and cups. Of the 14 Premier League appearances he had they included when he came on from the bench.

The main point I am trying to make is that I feel it would be far better if Alex Neil feels DeAndre Yedlin is a player he wants that we sign him permanently (or at least loan with an agreement to a permanent deal).

It''s very difficult to build something if some of the integral parts are taken away from you after you have moulded them into place.

He''s a pacey motherfu(ker. Very much hope this is true, although it would''ve been nice to have got someone defensively sound, if we can also get in a good CB, then things could go really well for us this year.

https://vine.co/v/OWZPMtYtait

I wanted us to sign him up after the world cup but spurs got there first...good piece of business IMO

Bring in Yeldin and spend some decent cash on a CB and the defence looks sorted- Martin can cover RB and CB with Bennett, Whits can fill in at LB if needed.

TRANSFER NEWS | DeAndre Yedlin (@yedlinny) has joined on loan from @SpursOfficial http://norw.ch/DeAndre