Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

What will be the starting back four?

I have gone for a back four that has two attacking full backs and two quick centre backs who are good in the air:

Louis -Jean,  Colin,  Shackell,  Drury  -  on the bench Doherty or Charlton

If Worthy reads this website then give these four a run out against Colchester or Inter Milan.

Charlie again got some glowing reports while in midfield and doc appears to have out played flem.

I cant predict the back for beyond Drury and Shacks.  It all depends on whether worthy goes with his favourites, form or the future.  Personally I suspect we will see

Colin    Flem   Shacks   Drury

much to my overall disappointed.

OTBC

3 choices in my opinoin:

1) -MLJ-Doherty-Shackell-Drury

2) -Colins-Doherty-Shackell-Drury

3) -MLJ-Colins-Shackell-Drury

or maybe a fourth combination with Charlton on the left instead of Drury

[quote]3 choices in my opinoin: 1) -MLJ-Doherty-Shackell-Drury 2) -Colins-Doherty-Shackell-Drury 3) -MLJ-Colins-Shackell-Drury or maybe a fourth combination with Charlton on the left instead of D...[/quote]

I would imagine AJ that Flem will start the season at centre back.

[quote]I would imagine AJ that Flem will start the season at centre back.[/quote]

good point, forgot about the him.

err.... just replace doherty with flemming then.

Having just read the updated match report for saturday it seems worthy is questioning Doc and Drury, praised Colin and is neutral on Flem. 

However defensively poor tackling and positioning remain the key issues.

The lack of effort does seem to have had an impact on the positional stuff - ad hopefully we will be much tighter.   I find it curious that one report on here and the one supporter I know who went praised Docs performance yet he is highlighted as one of the shirkers... perhaps in readiness to get Flem back full time?  

However our teams tactical approach does seem to be to close space down rather than committ to tackles - something that only 2 players did with any consistency last year - Safri and Helveg.   I do find it worrying that the number of actual challenges being made is going backwards and the reluctance to try and win the ball rather than wait to be given it back frustrating.   With Safri injured and Jonson & Helveg gone do we have any player left in the squad who is prepared to tackle to win the ball?

Defending, from midfield back, is something the coaching staff must take responsibility for.  In the pre season games so far we have seen goals conceeded from poor marking and positioning and a lack of desie to win the ball back - these were last years key failings and it appears the coaching staff have done nothing to rectify it.

For the last two friendly games I would hope that Worthy will give our starting back for a chance to gel and put into practice whatever training remedies have been identified by the coaching staff - otherwise we may be in for a very long and disappointing autumn.

OTBC

i was at southend and despite being disappointed with the result it came as no surprise.

Players are not going to risk injury for the sake of a meaningless match and so tackling was not on the agenda. Hughes though did get stuck in and looks the sort of player your''re looking for ZLF.

Doherty didn''t look any better to me. he was outpaced/outmuscled by Freddie Eastwood for the first goal and it''ll take more than a diet to change my opinion. I don''t think he''s any better an option than Flem. I would like to see a new decent right-footed central defender coming in but in the meantime let''s try Shackell & Charlton partnered and see if it works (or to shut some of us up!).

Colin did look promising though. Haven''t seen MLJ yet.

Despite all the nonsense bein talked bout flem, the startin bak 4 should be:

Louis-jean     Fleming    Shackell    Drury

Louis jean because of his english football league experience, drury and shackell pick themselves now,

and the leader and organsiner at the back will be fleming: team captain!

Here is an interesting thought?

What about.

LJ---Colin----Shackell-----Dury

Nobody is mentioning Colin at centre half.

Can Colin play at centre-back?

Hes tall but not that tall, but u dont always need height 2 be a good centre-back!

Has he had many games at centre-back before? etc...

[quote]Charlie again got some glowing reports while in midfield and doc appears to have out played flem. I cant predict the back for beyond Drury and Shacks. It all depends on whether worthy goes with his ...[/quote]

I think ZLF has got it spot on but I''d like to see the Doc instead of Flem

[quote]Here is an interesting thought? What about. LJ---Colin----Shackell-----Dury Nobody is mentioning Colin at centre half.[/quote]

USA Canary that was the back four I picked to start the post off.

[quote]Can Colin play at centre-back? Hes tall but not that tall, but u dont always need height 2 be a good centre-back! Has he had many games at centre-back before? etc...[/quote]

Only saw the picture of him when he signed, he was standing alongside Worthy who is over 6'' and he seemed a similar height.