Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Thoughts with Albert Bennett

Just Albert and Alan Ball as I remember. We didnt see Albert at his best. Norman Hunter couldn''t get close enough to kick him in his Newcastle days!

Alan Ball was the first British footballer signed up by Patrick ( French Company who made those white boots ) followed by Wyn Davies and our Albert. So says a letter I have got dated 1970 signed by Kenneth Woolstenholme on his own headed paper after I wrote to him at Match of The Day about players wearing white boots.

Back in the days (no - not ''those were the days'''') I saw Albert Bennett play for Bury Town and he was still wearing his lucky white boots then. Decent player even in the twilight of his career.

I remember Alan Hinton wearing white boots, playing for Derby at the Baseball Ground , on Match of the Day. It would have been around the same time as Alan Ball. The Derby fans called him Gladys.

White boots at the Baseball Ground - bet they didn''t last white very long, got to be the worst pitch I''ve ever seen, unless you know better ?