Sign in to follow this  
unique

Virgil van Dijk

''Interested'' could just symbolised ambition and a bid. Then again, the other club mainly linked are Sunderland, who are barely better than us, if that. We could take him for 3 seasons and then sell him as a developed player to a forgein club. Wouldn''t do him good to go straight to Man. U.

van dijk is solid nothing gets past him great in the air his composure on the ball is world class..he can also go on runs striding through defences ..hope you sign him he would be great in the premiership

If Celtic''s rumoured interest in taking Hoops back is true, then I''m sure we could reach an agreement on Celtic on a player plus cash, I suspect the difficulty would be convincing Van Dijk to sign here.

Driving home after the playoff final on R5 they were talking about him as the best player AN could try to bring down from Scotland. I think it would be one area it would be worth serious investment - if we spend a lot on a striker we''ll all be very nervous!

Top player , would love to see him playing for us!, saw that some of the top 4 teams where after him this season, would be really good player to strengthen our defence! A leader too!

Looks like news linking to us are on the internet now since this Sun article. If no big clubs come in for him then I reckon it will be Sunderland as they have Advocaat and he wants into the Dutch team. Advocaat has already impressed the club and the player could learn and have the ear of an international manager. On another note maybe we could tempt Celtic into doing business with us by sending RVW to Rangers.

Southampton linked now. Seems a very good player could be another Alderweld situation where we spotted a good player a couple of seasons ago but he wanted a better offer

I think the difference between Alderweireld and van Dijk is that the former was the Ajax captain, a regular Belgium international and on the radar of teams across Europe. For Norwich to attempt to sign him at that time was always fanciful - especially as the player himself said he''d only go to a club in European football. Southampton were only able to get him on loan a season later as he''d barely played for Athletico Madrid.

Van Dijk is highly regarded at Celtic and with a growing reputation, but his status certainly isn''t at the level Alderweireld''s was at the time. The ''top'' Premier League teams have looked at him, but decided to not make a move for him right now - and clubs around Europe would struggle to match the spending power of other Premier League teams. He''ll have to prove himself at a mid/lower-table club before an Arsenal, Tottenham etc make a move for him.

There will probably be a bit of a scrap between several teams who are all of similar stature - Sunderland, Swansea, Southampton (if they can''t secure Alderwiereld, their preferred option) and Norwich. It might just be down to who is prepared to bid the most for him and who can offer the player the most attractive financial package.

The article is a massive puff piece - I suspect our interest was something like this:

*agent calls Carrow Road* - "what do you think of van Dijk?"

"well, he''s quality, we''d definitely be interested if he was"

"great, well lets talk figures soon"

*agent immediately calls the Scottish Sun*

"Norwich are all over van Dijk, of course I''ve told him he can do much better, he''s the best centre half in Europe, he should be playing for the Man Us andthe Liverpools...are you writing this down?"

Not sure Platonic as it seems a reasonable punt and I feel that we have a reasonable chance of landing him:-

I wouldn''t know if he is acquainted with Alex Neil, but they will both be aware of each other, so we have to hope there will be some value in the Scottish connection, however slim. Is there a McNally factor?

A new centre-half is probably top of our shopping list and we have the financial clout, just, to land this particular player.

The big boys are not, at the moment, being very pro-active in pursuit of him, so, as someone has suggested, he might be destined for a stint at one of the ''lesser'' Premier League clubs.

He would likely be able to count on first-team action from the outset.

Norwich International Airport, where we have a private jet at the ready.

The Rikki Van Wolfswinkle factor ..... nah! Forget that.

As I said, reasonable. Whatever that means.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I think the difference between Alderweireld and van Dijk is that the former was the Ajax captain, a regular Belgium international and on the radar of teams across Europe. For Norwich to attempt to sign him at that time was always fanciful - especially as the player himself said he''d only go to a club in European football. Southampton were only able to get him on loan a season later as he''d barely played for Athletico Madrid.

Van Dijk is highly regarded at Celtic and with a growing reputation, but his status certainly isn''t at the level Alderweireld''s was at the time. The ''top'' Premier League teams have looked at him, but decided to not make a move for him right now - and clubs around Europe would struggle to match the spending power of other Premier League teams. He''ll have to prove himself at a mid/lower-table club before an Arsenal, Tottenham etc make a move for him.

There will probably be a bit of a scrap between several teams who are all of similar stature - Sunderland, Swansea, Southampton (if they can''t secure Alderwiereld, their preferred option) and Norwich. It might just be down to who is prepared to bid the most for him and who can offer the player the most attractive financial package.[/quote]

It really must be wonderful to have as much insight and knowledge as you.

Swansea now interested apparently. Although this would be the perfect signing imo, there are a lot of clubs after this guy it seems.

Strengthening our defence is of paramount importance. I suspect that we will be significantly

less attractive to players in demand when compared to established PL sides, such as Swansea.

True, but their need for a centre back is less than Norwich''s -might mean they aren''t prepared to bid high for him, or pay him as much.

I think Sunderland are the most likely club, they need a whole new defence really and Van Dijk would be a great start - just whether their budget can stretch to bring him and a few others in.

Oh I see what you mean, yes Sunderland need a shake up.If I were a player though and had lots of PL clubs after me I wouldn''t pick Sunderland as they seem to lack ambition. They don''t seem to be a club ever looking to really develop and do what Everton did (look to get top 7) whereas the likes of Swansea, Southampton and us I feel are much better ''projects'' to be part of.