Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

To The Web Team - Post Editing

An open note to the web team. I''ve posted this so that, hopefully, it will obtain a response from you to help us posters understand what guidelines you are currently applying in editing out comments from  posters. For example, today I see that some of my comments ( along the lines of light jousting ) that I directed toward a certain poster indicating he appears to have his foot in his mouth was edited out. There have been similar observations by other posters about recent editing. Yet, at the same time, numerous posts containing obvious offensive four letter words which I disagree with ( admittedly these are asterisked ), are left in???? Quite frankly, that does not appear to be a balanced approach on your part. I realize there are a number of you, and you are doing the best you can. Perhaps you can provide some input to help us understand what guidelines you have agreed between yourselves.   

Guidelines are just that - guides. We try not to restrict the flow of people''s thoughts, nor appear too puritanical or censorious. However, when dealing with scores of messages a day (we deal with many other boards in addition to the PinkUn), as well as maintaining, updating and correcting several websites, it is possible that some dubious messages get through.  Also, some of us are more tolerant than others, although that shouldn''t be an excuse.

I would be interested to know just how you feel we could do the job better, bearing in mind that your tolerance levels will not be the same as others who, in some extreme cases, may demand a totally un-moderated board.

I put this up for discussion among posters.

Patrick Prekopp
Web Editor
* pat.prekopp@archant.co.uk

well, i personally would not opt for an "un-moderated board" just simply a board where the post are not moderated straight away, so the post is there instant rather than three hours later!

Mods would still go round the board, checking the posts or whatever, but it would make life easier as people then wont double post and post something that has already been said.

[quote]Guidelines are just that - guides. We try not to restrict the flow of people''s thoughts, nor appear too puritanical or censorious. However, when dealing with scores of messages a day (we deal with man...[/quote]

In fairness most forums tend to operate under guidelines, not clear rules and you are never going to please everyone.  As you say some people would go completely un-moderated but others (like Yankee) want to see expletives removed, even if masking of certain letters is employed.  I feel you are in a no win situation.  For me as long as posts are not racist etc I am happy.

In order to relieve some of your workload, have you ever considered giving forum members privileges to moderate the posts?  This works quite successfully on other forums and it could free up some time of the Archant employees and maybe even speed up the time it takes to get a post approved and onto the board.  Especially when we (the posters) probably spend more time on here than the mods can.

While the idea of a live discussion forum is appealing this does leave open the issue around generating a whole stream of posts reacting to poorly worded/outright libellous/inflammatory/illegal posts that would become nonsensical with backdated editting.

Perhaps its one of the reasons I like this forum over most that there is some editorial control as it does remove some of the more purile debate and more extreme inappropriate language.  The forum is open to all including younger members so language checks I guess should apply. 

However you do have to remember that the language on here is far tamer than my child is exposed to on the terraces in ''real life'', or even the school play grounds of Norfolk (and beyond).  

I do think the mods get it just about get it right in striking the balance - for examples one mans post is another wizs excuse to stir the pot...  and without the diversity of approach the forum would become very lame indeed.

OTBC   

A strong word of caution here I feel.

Several City sites have been ruined and virtually taken over by Ipswich and ''other'' fans, who have benefitted from non moderating on those said sites.

I have some empathy with old YC, as it is frustrating when your words and thoughts get censored, hell, I know this first hand!.

But I speak as someone who was accused of feigning my own heart attack on here recently, really!, if we had had no moderating on this superb site whatsoever, this vile suggestion would have been allowed to stand.

I for one will not tolerate obscenities, racism and bullying, if you remove the present system of moderating, you risk this site going down the same road, as other now defunked, website''s.

The best phrase to sum this situation up is: ''If it ain''t broke, don''t fix it!''.

I think the modding is appropriate from what I have seen. However Im not sure a Pre-mod system for every post is needed, ive only been here a short time but its seems as though everyone on here is adult enough to post decent comments without naughty words. Was there a problem in the past or something?

I agree that its pretty good as it is - I''ve had a few posts edited, etc, but I''m not really that upset about it as its personal opinion.  Like Wiz has said, I''d rather comments about heart attacks were edited/removed than not!

I was actually having an argument with a mate about which forum is better, this or WOTB, and he said that he liked WOTB cos it was unmoderated (apparently, I don''t go on it) and you didn''t have your opinions changed - I told him moderating isn''t like that, and that I prefer that someone has some level of control as opposed to people just being rude and offensive to each other (not that that doesn''t happen on here, mind!), but he was having none of it.  Some people see editing as some form of government control, but then some people are just silly....

I say, keep it as it is, and let people use their common sense.  I don''t think this has been a major issue, so lets not change for the sake of it!

I think it works well enough as it is, as Wiz says if it ain''t broke don''t fix it. This is the best site for intelligent football chat, and is suitable for all ages, lets keep it that way. For me swearing isn''t the issue, its about respect for other poster''s and their opinions - other message boards are ruined for intelligent debate because this respect is lacking.

If there is genuine confusion, maybe some guidelines would be a good idea (maybe it would help the moderators be consistent too).

Its worth waiting for posts to be moderated if it protects the spirit of the board.

This is by far and away one of the best forum websites I have ever used - and I think that can be put down to the web team that moderate it - an lack of moderation or a "after posting" service would not be of benefit.

I think that the simple way to look at things is to say to yourself - would I or any of my fellow posters be offended by that comment - we are all (even the newer members of the Pink''Un community) able to read and come to some understanding of our fellow posters - that''s why this board is so good - we might have wildly differing opinions when it comes to the club/performance/players/managers etc but we all respect each others postings - we may not agree with them but then that''s what the board is for.

As Wiz says - it ain''t broke so leave it well alone!!!!

[quote]I think it works well enough as it is, as Wiz says if it ain''t broke don''t fix it. This is the best site for intelligent football chat, and is suitable for all ages, lets keep it that way. For me swea...[/quote]

I agree Putney,

Although I don''t like any bad language, I can live with it, mind you if the point being made needs an expletive to endorse it then it can''t be much good in my opinion.

I also find hard to accept those who throw personal insults at those of differing opinions.

That said, this is the best of Forums, many of the posters here are very humorous, knowledgeable and eloquent in their contributions, it''s all absolutely free and well worth reading.

Leave it as it is I say.

Agreed, this is definitely the best Norwich forum ive come across, been on the BBC one for a while, and its pretty poor to say the least. The only thing that gets on my nerves is when you wait ages for the posts to appear, someone mentioned earlier the idea of giving one or two posters certain moderating privileges? But its not as if thats a big problem, its pretty good as it is.

[quote]This is by far and away one of the best forum websites I have ever used - and I think that can be put down to the web team that moderate it - an lack of moderation or a "after posting" service would n...[/quote]

I am totally with Plastic Scouser and take my hat off to the Pink''Un team and Archant for giving us, quite simply,

"The best web discussion forum I have ever been on"

This is because of the considered input of us posters, and the considered monitoring of the site.  Both of these are spot-on.  It''s not just that it ''aint broke'', but more that it is ticking along hunky-dory in my book.  I have only been censored once for questioning the sexuality of an ex-City striker, but hey, even my Mum would give me a ticking-off for that.

Big-Up to the Web Team, and sincere thanks for a job well done!

Having said all I did on moderating, sometimes they can be a touch ''over sensitive'' IMO.

Okay, I am refereing to a post of mine, which was censored, and although I can see their side to it, I felt a certain comment by myself, was justified.

So what''s the point in us trying to have a ''mild joust'' as YC would put it (I''d love his further input here by the way) if a more sensitive moderator receives your post for moderating.

In that circumstance, Yankee''s views are only strengthened in my opinion, and I would be tempted to agree with the lighter moderating brigade.

But, only tempted!.  

I agree that sometimes the moderating can be frustrating.  However, if it wasn''t in place we would have a load of kids on here spouting nonsense & tlkin lk ths!  God forbid!  This forum is fantastic and the best I have seen on the web for footy talk.  It attracts all sorts of Norwich fans from all over the world, and that isn''t easily done.

I salute you Pink''Un!