Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Grabban to Palace?

Rumour circulating twitter at the moment (so hardly a reliable source).
Grabban to Palace for £4.5 million.
I like Grabban, and is good in the lone striker role, so i''d be surprised if we were willing to sell. Fee is reasonable, all things considered.

[quote user="hogesar"]Rumour circulating twitter at the moment (so hardly a reliable source).
Grabban to Palace for £4.5 million.
I like Grabban, and is good in the lone striker role, so i''d be surprised if we were willing to sell. Fee is reasonable, all things considered.
[/quote]Yeah saw this too.Can''t quite get my head round it, if true.If another Premiership side are willing to pay that, they obviously see his potential to do well in the division, which would be exactly the reason for us not wanting to sell him.Hopefully they meant Hooper.

Although I have a feeling Hooper could well go in this window, if they offered this money for Hooper, we shouldn''t take it imo....Grabban on the other hand....

Seems to be just one account with less than 1,000 followers saying this - so I wouldn''t pay much attention.

I think Hooper will be sold at some point this summer - Jerome, Grabban plus one other will most likely be the strike force.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Seems to be just one account with less than 1,000 followers saying this - so I wouldn''t pay much attention.

I think Hooper will be sold at some point this summer - Jerome, Grabban plus one other will most likely be the strike force.[/quote]Yeah thats what I think too.I would be disappointed if Grabban wasn''t part of this seasons plans.Lets face it, could we replace him for 4.5m?

and back to celtic...and to sheffield wednesday. We''ll see.

I''m sure the club will only sell Grabban if we are thinking of getting another striker with the same sort of attributes (can play as a lone striker and is pacey). Just because we get £5m for him doesn''t mean that we just have to spend £5m on the next replacement, we can spend more of course.

I wouldn''t really want to sell either but if we were to sell one then i would sell Grabban ahead of Hooper. The latter in my view has the technique and speed of thought to play at the top level given some decent fitness and a run in the team.

I remain far from convinced that Grabban has the speed of thought for top level football. He''s an athlete, makes good runs and stretches the opposition defence but even at championship level a lot of his goals were rather fortunate and I don;t feel he is a natural finisher/

PS Selling Grabban would i suppose make more sense iif any truth in the N''Doye links. If we are only going to play 1 striker again next season for most games then having 4 senior strikers may be too many so perhaps we will go with three and a youngster as back up.

but twitter told me that today, hooper was mainly off to burnley  [:O]

The rumour from my source within the club is hooper and Grabban to make way for an Austin bid. also looking at Dwight gale

We need a "portfolio" of strikers and I think we need all of LG, GH and CJ. They all offer different things and I don''t see any of them as any less likely than any other to perform in the Prem under Neil (discount the Hughton year for Hooper, can''t make a fair assessment). Replace one you might as well replace all 3.

The only striking option I think we don''t really have, which may be helpful, is the Lambert, Holt, Kenwyne Jones type player which may be useful in certain situations such as when Seb does something silly in the penalty area and we are down to 10 with a need to hoof and hold a bit.

Since AN has already said we will largely stick with the core of this squad, that LG seemed to be his preferred option until quite late on, and that good strikers go for silly money I think its more likely that we will keep them and spend on the defence and maybe cover for Wes.

Agreed. I thought his lack of awareness stood out in the Champs and Prem defenders will not be phased by his ball control . Jerome on the other hand is different class !

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"] I think Hooper will be sold at some point this summer - Jerome, Grabban plus one other will most likely be the strike force.[/quote]Surely we are likely to want at least 4 strikers? I know AN prefers 1 up top but three seems too light and risky?

Personally I don''t have a huge amount of confidence in any of the Norwich strikers. Jerome has struggled in every season he has played in the Premier League and Hooper has looked good in fits and starts but never performed welled for a maintained spell - also far too immobile for a lone striker.

Grabban is the one I have most faith in - his off the ball work is excellent and whilst I don''t think he''d get 15 goals himself, he brings others into the game like the others can''t.

I have my fingers crossed that Norwich can go out and get a very good striker (or two) in the summer, the whole season will probably be resting on it.

Always good to see our players attracting attention - shows he does have prem potential.    Given he has shown himself to be ANs first choice pick I cant see him looking to let him go for a relatively low value £4.5m bid.

For me. of last seasons three strikers Hooper would be the first that I would let leave,  less suited to ANs tactics and not great in the prem.    Jerome is better there but still not prolific there but I have confidence that we will get a consist level of performance that is better for us that hoops;   Grabban should match Jerome but could be better or worse than either jerome or hooper but is simply unknown.   Of these 3 I would expect grabban to start.   However I would like to supplement the striking area with another and is one of the key 4 signings left to be made.

Yes, correction. Out of the 7 seasons CamJam has played in the Prem, he''s struggled in 6 of them to get over 10 goals.

I think we can safely say most logical norwich fans have reservations to how good CamJam will be in this league.

He''s played very well the season just gone, but has only had one good season in the Prem.

Badger - 4 out and out strikers would be too many, the 4th choice would barely get any playing time while eating up wages and a squad place. Think you''d look to have a player who can play another position, and up front as well if needed.

Keiran - Jermoe has struggled for goals at least - having not scored more than 4 goals since 2010.

In the unlikely event that we let Grabs go, why on earth would we sell him to a team that are likely to be a key rival at our end of the prem.

If we let anyone go we need to bring in 1st at the moment we have 3 established forwards and you really need 4 in the prem- thats assuming that RVW and KL will be gone.

After the defence, of next relative importance, is a starting striker for whom Jerome can provide cover. This is the remaining, but crictical, link to provide at least a fighting chance of a 17th, or better, finish. We should sell/loan out Grabban, Lafferty and RvW to bolster our funds for such a player.

There is a fair liklihood that we will lose Lafferty and RVW within the next few weeks, so why should we sell Grabban to a rival?

We need Hooper on board as well, IMO .... plus another decent act.

I think that Austin might be too expensive for us at this moment in time as there might well be an auction. Would love him here though.

Somebody suggested Max Gradel recently, he might do well for us, or some might consider him no improvement on what we have.

"Hes a very special player because of his Ronaldinho-like dribbling and he is now scoring plenty of goals , Gradel is a very dangerous player."

Quote in Wiki which he probably entered himself, but I''m convinced.

He outshone RVW at St. Etienne last season and many want Rikki kept on for another chance.

there should be none of this fan talk about hooper leaving, when we were struggling in a game for a goal AN would change his tactics.

He knows what he has in Gary Hooper he is the most predatory of all our strikers his goal at Rotherham was superb and he does have better control to that of grabban.

Lets see what happens Grabban is a work in progress and I do think we can get better, if the offer was more I would not have a problem with him signing with palace as I don''t think he would turn into a great prem striker.

But as said we need strikers to fit AN and the system, he does just without the cutting edge so far. But that was mentioned at Bournemouth that he needs 4 chances to score 1. In the prem you are lucky to get 4 chances in a game as a team. So we will see

I agree that Hooper is of vital importance to our survival chances. He is our most accomplished striker and one on whom the manager will no doubt call when we are chasing a goal.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Yes, correction. Out of the 7 seasons CamJam has played in the Prem, he''s struggled in 6 of them to get over 10 goals.

I think we can safely say most logical norwich fans have reservations to how good CamJam will be in this league.

He''s played very well the season just gone, but has only had one good season in the Prem.[/quote]
To be fair, in recent years i''ve not really seen any manager put real faith in Cam. This season he''s had that, and had his best ever goal-scoring season. He''s at an age where he''s now at his peak, in my opinion. I think he will get regular game time this season.
Grabban is great at the lone striker role and offers far more than Hooper. I can personally see Hooper being moved on for that reason.

AN had so much faith in Jerome he dropped him for Grabban almost as soon as he started at the club. Only Grabban''s injury and suspension meant Jerome got back his starting place.

At Palace last season he had 20 starts and scored 2 goals. Whilst I do think he can be better than that, there is a large amount of evidence that he will (might) struggle. Going into the season with Jerome as first choice seems a big risk to me.

Grabban and Jerome had about the same shot conversion rate this season so when it comes to finishing I think they are about equal.

I expect Jerome and Grabban will both get their chance next season but in reality Norwich really need someone to come in and fire in the goals that keep them away from relegation.

We have two loan strikers

grabban and Jerome

We have a predatory finisher

Hooper

We have an international striker with great energy

Lafferty

We have a quality European striker with great movement and ability (has shown at ncfc but confidence has been knocked)

RVW

We need four strikers on the books in fact I would love if one who was under 21 was a great prospect. But you need different stikers all these comments saying that hooper does not fit the style of grabban and Jerome are right and exactly why we need different strikers.

I think the ''Grabban to Palace'' rumour is probably relying heavily on the fact that he''s an ex-Palace player from Croydon. If Grabban is going anywhere then it''ll be to a Championship side.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]AN had so much faith in Jerome he dropped him for Grabban almost as soon as he started at the club. Only Grabban''s injury and suspension meant Jerome got back his starting place.

At Palace last season he had 20 starts and scored 2 goals. Whilst I do think he can be better than that, there is a large amount of evidence that he will (might) struggle. Going into the season with Jerome as first choice seems a big risk to me.

Grabban and Jerome had about the same shot conversion rate this season so when it comes to finishing I think they are about equal.

I expect Jerome and Grabban will both get their chance next season but in reality Norwich really need someone to come in and fire in the goals that keep them away from relegation.[/quote]
I actually think Grabban play''s the lone role better than Jerome, or at least did, particularly when AN joined the club. Quite quickly Jerome had to adapt to AN style with his (relatively) high line. Jerome worked harder at keeping onside, and getting back onside, and nobody can argue with his goal tally for the season.