Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Hate this time of year

Nothing much happening at CR, this message board gets more boring by the day, Wembley europhia is still about but I miss my Sat live football, Jeff Stirling''s rant about Hartlepool conceding and Kris Kamara''s blank face. Anything else people are missing ?

Nothing to moan about, how boring can life possibly get?

Add to that it''ll soon be Wimbledon, I hate cricket, F1 is as dull as ditch water, the list goes on.

Bring on an away day to South Wales in the rain, LDC pronouncements on the way back, delays on the train, tube strikes and all the other things that really make for a proper day out watching the Mighty Yellas.

Bring it on, it''ll soin be August.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Nothing much happening at CR, this message board gets more boring by the day, Wembley europhia is still about but I miss my Sat live football, Jeff Stirling''s rant about Hartlepool conceding and Kris Kamara''s blank face. Anything else people are missing ?[/quote]

Here''s a tip if you miss Jeff Stelling, during the season record one of the programmes and if you have withdrawal symptoms just watch it up to when the games start, the opinions from the ''experts'' will be the same, big clubs are great, patronise the small clubs and don''t criticise your favourite.

I love it, Saturdays are no longer geared up for win or loss.

This time of year feels good, we are building up the group for the next campaign, new additions, the odd departure and this Summer know we are in a place to tackle the premiership after our relegation the season before.

It means each Saturday not reviewing each game and each obstacle. Sit back and enjoy the summer, football will be back

Lots on this June, its been a great tv sports month with loads on.Alternating U21 Euro`s, Womens World Cup, Copa America and lots of great Cricket.Still only 6 clubs in the Premier League according to Skysports News and Talksport but have tuned those out for a while

You can''t knock Summertime, football or not.

Intruding into this thread gives me a chance to mention the 20/20 cricket yesterday evening.

What a terrific sporting occasion it turned out to be. A full house of young and old all having such an enjoying time. Top class performers, banners, beer, Champagne, fancy dress, inter-reaction between player and crowd and excitement to the very end.

Any sporting event would have trouble rivalling that spectacle. In fact the Notting Hill Carnival would have trouble rivalling that (no smilie available.)

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]You can''t knock Summertime, football or not.

Intruding into this thread gives me a chance to mention the 20/20 cricket yesterday evening.

What a terrific sporting occasion it turned out to be. A full house of young and old all having such an enjoying time. Top class performers, banners, beer, Champagne, fancy dress, inter-reaction between player and crowd and excitement to the very end.

Any sporting event would have trouble rivalling that spectacle. In fact the Notting Hill Carnival would have trouble rivalling that (no smilie available.)[/quote]

If they got rid of test cricket  - which is only fully viewable live if you can either take several days off work, or on tv and are retired/unemployed/housebound - then there would be more room for exciting games of cricket that are of a length that more people can enjoy in their entirenty.   Not knocking those that do like watching test cricket, merely pointing out that cricket could have a lot higher profile than it does at present and could have many more viewers/followers rather than semi-interested bystanders like me who say "Ooh, we beat NZ at cricket....wow.......oh...." or whoever it is we have beaten/played over five weather interuppted days.    20/20 is the way forward. More of it please and less unfollowable test cricket, which however exciting it may be if you are able to follow it all, cuts out a lot of people from being interested in it, except on a subliminal, limited level.

20/20 is just not Cricket!

Cuts out all the suffering .... b.t.w have you heard of this thingy called radio, its really quite good you know.

[quote user="lake district canary"]If they got rid of test cricket......[/quote]I didn''t need to read past that remark Lakey to know what nonsense would follow.Test match cricket IS cricket.The "ave a slog" games are fun and very popular and I love them. But to make such a comment about a game you clearly don''t understand is a bit like saying you want to get rid of the Grand National so you can watch more dressage! [:$]If you want to learn more about Test Cricket, then try watching the upcoming Ashes Series against Australia. You may change your mind. [:''(]

Test match cricket IS cricket.

It had to happen - I''ve finally agreed with Lappinitup on something!!

20/20 is merely an entertaining form of baseball, great at drawing the crowds in but other than a bit of bish, bash, bop - cricket it most certainly is not.

Test cricket is where it''s at and always has been - a true test of one''s ability, application and mental toughness over 5 days - rather than 5 minutes!

Without Test Matches cricket would have sold it soul.
Cricket is about taking wickets, not just scoring runs! If you can''t take 20 wickets you can''t win a Test Match regardless of how many runs you score. That is the whole point of the game.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]If they got rid of test cricket......[/quote]I didn''t need to read past that remark Lakey to know what nonsense would follow.Test match cricket IS cricket.The "ave a slog" games are fun and very popular and I love them. But to make such a comment about a game you clearly don''t understand is a bit like saying you want to get rid of the Grand National so you can watch more dressage! [:$]If you want to learn more about Test Cricket, then try watching the upcoming Ashes Series against Australia. You may change your mind. [:''(][/quote]

I used to follow test cricket  (and yes, Surfer, the radio can be mildy entertaining) but when I watch sport, I want to watch it all, or not at all.  Following a test match on tv live, is a committment I can''t make.  Golf is similar - goes on too long, too little action.   Cycling......well why would you watch that, hours and hours of....well......cycling..............wow.   Athletics..........hmmm.......I think I''m with the op here, except there is always tennis.........

Cricket is the finest sport. Test Cricket is its purest and finest form.

It is our nation''s greatest gift to the world of sport.

In my opinion.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I used to follow test

cricket......but when I watch sport, I want to watch it all, or not at

all.  Following a test match on tv live, is a committment I can''t

make.[/quote]So, because you can''t be bothered to watch test cricket you think none of us should......[quote user="lake district canary"]If they got rid of test cricket........20/20 is the way forward. More of it please and less unfollowable test cricket[/quote]Seriously Lakey, if they took test cricket out of the equation, people would soon tire of the one-day knockabout stuff and cricket as a sport would die.Test cricket can be both tense and exhilarating at the same time and has thrown up some wonderfully memorable series and events over the years. I think you''re missing out.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]I used to follow test

cricket......but when I watch sport, I want to watch it all, or not at

all.  Following a test match on tv live, is a committment I can''t

make.[/quote]So, because you can''t be bothered to watch test cricket you think none of us should......[/quote]

[:O] I never said that........test cricket is fine - if you like it and follow it - I just think more people would get involved with cricket if it is more accessible to all.  Five day games and three day county games and to a lesser extent, one day 50 over games, are not exciting enough for youngsters - and some older people.   Razamataz of a short 20/20 game has everything going for it. No slow play, no time wasting, hard hitting, excitement and a result, all in the space of three or four hours.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Five day games and three day county games and to a lesser extent, one day 50 over games, are not exciting enough for youngsters - and some older people.   Razamataz of a short 20/20 game has everything going for it. No slow play, no time wasting, hard hitting, excitement and a result, all in the space of three or four hours.[/quote]So using your criteria (and your sport), you prefer 5-a-side football to the real thing? No slow build-up, end to end, and all over in a fraction of the time. Can''t you see how futile your argument is Lakey?

Sky money has gone a long way towards helping the game of cricket as a whole and has contributed to the construction of the new stadia throughout the game, probably via the MCC.

On the other hand, with television live viewing restricted to Sky customers, many have become somewhat detached from the sport.

I actually became a Sky customer 20+ years ago when they out-bid the Beeb for test matches, with an Ashes series due.

I watch every minute of a test match, even fitting toilet breaks in with drinks breaks.

There are a few like me.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]Five day games and three day county games and to a lesser extent, one day 50 over games, are not exciting enough for youngsters - and some older people.   Razamataz of a short 20/20 game has everything going for it. No slow play, no time wasting, hard hitting, excitement and a result, all in the space of three or four hours.[/quote]So using your criteria (and your sport), you prefer 5-a-side football to the real thing? No slow build-up, end to end, and all over in a fraction of the time. Can''t you see how futile your argument is Lakey?[/quote]

Yes, futile indeed, but then you can''t compare 20/20 cricket to 5 a side football.  To start with its eleven a side - the same as for test matches and it is played on a full sized cricket pitch.  5 a side is in a small arena and small goals.  I love 5 a side football - great fun to play or watch, even when you''re older - maybe more pro-tournaments of that and more tv coverage would get more people playing football. I''m certain that if 20/20 cricket became  a professional regular weekly event all over the country, it would inspire more people to get out and  play cricket.  Cricket blew it for me over many years, with its playboy antics and poor image and 20/20 is about the only thing that would get me interested in it again. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]Cricket blew it for me over many years, with its playboy antics and poor image[/quote]What "playboy antics and poor image" are you talking about Lakey?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]Cricket blew it for me over many years, with its playboy antics and poor image[/quote]What "playboy antics and poor image" are you talking about Lakey? [/quote]From Gower buzzing people in hired/borrowed aeroplanes to Flintoff''s  floating around in paddleboats, cricket is littered with incidents where the well paid  have basically been acting unprofessional and putting their sport in a bad light.   Flintoff''s drunkeness on the open top bus after winning the ashes was an embarrassement.   The image of the sport is everything and for as many people that think these antics - not just these two, there are plenty of others - are funny or normal, there will just as many - imo - who found that added up, they reduce the credibility of cricket over a period of years.   I''m no stick in the mud and like a laugh and a drink as much as anybody, but professionals need to be a bit more representatrive of their profession, especially when in the pulic eye on tour or on official displays. Cricket is still a tarnished sport for me and once enthusisam is lost for a sport, its difficult to get it back, when there are so many other sports available to get in to.

LDC "If they got rid of test cricket - which is only fully viewable live if you can either take several days off work, or on tv and are retired/unemployed/housebound - then there would be more room for exciting games of cricket that are of a length that more people can enjoy in their entirenty. Not knocking those that do like watching test cricket, merely pointing out that cricket could have a lot higher profile than it does at present and could have many more viewers/followers rather than semi-interested bystanders like me who say "Ooh, we beat NZ at cricket....wow.......oh...." or whoever it is we have beaten/played over five weather interuppted days. 20/20 is the way forward. More of it please and less unfollowable test cricket, which however exciting it may be if you are able to follow it all, cuts out a lot of people from being interested in it, except on a subliminal, limited level. "

Great time to post this tripe, on the eve of an Ashes series, amazing!

[quote user="lake district canary"]Cricket is still a tarnished sport for me.....[/quote]Lol! How many cricketers do you see with pigtails...roll over on the pitch about five times when the ball hits them...or do a running slide on their knees when they score fifty...or bunch round the umpire when he makes a call they disagree with?And footballers never get drunk do they?And why are cricket fans allowed to drink in all parts of the ground, haven''t they heard about hooligans?Is the cricketing worlds governing body corrupt from top to bottom with accusations of huge bribes being thrown around?I could go on.........and on.Nope! Do you still reckon cricket is a tarnished sport compared with football Lakey? [^o)]

Those cricketers filming thai prostitutes while racially abusing them, all that crowd trouble whenever we play Sri Lanka, the laughing gas inhalation by our fast bowlers, cricketers raping girls in hotels, foreign owners buying county sides and changing their colours and names...