Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Dame N'Doye

No thanks you

I remember seeing him on MOTD at the end of last season when Hull needed a win against Palace and Spurs, he had about 10 clear cut chances across the two and if I am not mistaken he scored two. He was missing sitters and I think most players in the world could score two in ten tap ins.. Dare I say even RVW...

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]There are also restrictions in the Premier League rules about increasing wages too quickly - although not sure of the ins and outs of them. The Premier League set staggered ''Wage Floor Restrictions'' allowing an increase of wages of only £4m per season above a base level.

It might be that Norwich are no where near the base and so don''t need worry, but if they are at it then how much wages and to who they are paid will need to be even more carefully considered.[/quote]Bethnal, it is not entirely clear to me from the table I have seen but it looks as if the base level in 2013-14 was £52m. Now if that figures refers to all staff costs, then at £54m we were above it and so subject to this £4m a season limit on increasing wages. So as I read it, if we had stayed up, we could only have spent £58m on wages. Totally academic whatever the position.Quite what us being relegated means for the here and now. I am not sure! Perhaps being in the Championship rules you out of the equation entirely. But even if not I would assume, with our relegation clauses, our wage bill was well below what looks like the £56m base for the season just gone, and so we could now raise our wage by more than £4m.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]In our three seasons in the Premier League we were placed consecutively 19th, 17th= and 17th in the wage league table. It is a fair guess that again this season we will be in the bottom four or five. Anyone expecting us to jeopardise our long-term financial stability by breaking with that policy and trying to compete on wages with richer cubs is likely to be disappointed.[/quote]

I don;t expect us to do that Purple, my point is merely that even the clubs placed 17th-20th in the wage league table will probably be paying some players £50K a week. Provided the contracts have within them sensible safeguards re relegation (of course whether players agree to those is a different matter) then that should not place our long term financial stability at risk. It merely reflects the ever increasing amounts of money floating around in the premier league and with that set to rocket even further next season I would say its definitely worth us pushing ourselves as far as we can this season to stay in there because the rewards are so enormous.

I don;t agree with the element of the post above saying its a 4 team mini league though. Whilst leicester, palace and Sunderland are the most obvious candidates for the scrap with us, Watford and Bournemouth I think anyone outside the biggest 7 or 8 clubs in the prem are always at risk of relegation if they have a poor season and i certainly don;t think that even sides that would now be regarded as "established" such as Stoke, Swansea, WBA and West Ham have markedly stronger sides than us.[/quote]Jim, certainly relegation clauses are a must. But there isn''t more money floating around in the Premier League. Not for us, not this coming season. I would guess that our income will be roughly what it was in the relegation season - about £95m or a bit more. (The extra money comes in next season, but then everybody gets that - and most more than us - and in any event it gets swallowed up by higher transfer fees and wages).On that income of £95m we spent £54m on wages. I would expect Watford and Bournemouth to be low payers, but if you look at the teams that were in the real relegation fight last season they were all (based on the figures for the season before to compare with our £54m) high payers - Newcastle at £78m, Sunderland at £70m and Villa at £69m. A bit above them you had West Brom at £65m and West Ham at £64m. There isn''t a comparable figure for Leicester.I agree that any of those teams, plus Palace, could be in a relegation fight (and I agree we have the makings of a competitive squad)  but those figures show we literally cannot afford to compete with some of those big clubs over wages. I am sure the directors will try to push our wages as high as they can but there is a limit. And Demba Ba is almost certainly some way beyond that limit...[/quote]

Demba Ba is yes i agree. We may have been talking crossed purposes here. i was talking about £50K a week for N''Doye.

I would think that despite one season down in the championship we may be a little better off financially than when we were last in the prem because we''ve eradicated the debt, we sold a few players when we came down for decent money and we didn''t spend THAT much on players last season. So hopefully we may be able to push the wage limit up a bit, albeit not to the level of most prem clubs.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]There are also restrictions in the Premier League rules about increasing wages too quickly - although not sure of the ins and outs of them. The Premier League set staggered ''Wage Floor Restrictions'' allowing an increase of wages of only £4m per season above a base level.

It might be that Norwich are no where near the base and so don''t need worry, but if they are at it then how much wages and to who they are paid will need to be even more carefully considered.[/quote]Bethnal, it is not entirely clear to me from the table I have seen but it looks as if the base level in 2013-14 was £52m. Now if that figures refers to all staff costs, then at £54m we were above it and so subject to this £4m a season limit on increasing wages. So as I read it, if we had stayed up, we could only have spent £58m on wages. Totally academic whatever the position.Quite what us being relegated means for the here and now. I am not sure! Perhaps being in the Championship rules you out of the equation entirely. But even if not I would assume, with our relegation clauses, our wage bill was well below what looks like the £56m base for the season just gone, and so we could now raise our wage by more than £4m.[/quote]

Presumably all the contracts that had relegation clauses in them they would also have promotion clauses which now see the wages revert to their previous level? If not then mcnally will have some fun and games to deal with this summer!

[quote user="Jim Smith"] Demba Ba is yes i agree. We may have been talking crossed purposes here. i was talking about £50K a week for N''Doye.

I would think that despite one season down in the championship we may be a little better off financially than when we were last in the prem because we''ve eradicated the debt, we sold a few players when we came down for decent money and we didn''t spend THAT much on players last season. So hopefully we may be able to push the wage limit up a bit, albeit not to the level of most prem clubs.[/quote]I know you were, Jim! That was a gentle dig at another poster - who is normally such a sunny, optimistic soul - bemoaning our supposed lack of ambition over the likes of Demba Ba...

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]There are also restrictions in the Premier League rules about increasing wages too quickly - although not sure of the ins and outs of them. The Premier League set staggered ''Wage Floor Restrictions'' allowing an increase of wages of only £4m per season above a base level.

It might be that Norwich are no where near the base and so don''t need worry, but if they are at it then how much wages and to who they are paid will need to be even more carefully considered.[/quote]Bethnal, it is not entirely clear to me from the table I have seen but it looks as if the base level in 2013-14 was £52m. Now if that figures refers to all staff costs, then at £54m we were above it and so subject to this £4m a season limit on increasing wages. So as I read it, if we had stayed up, we could only have spent £58m on wages. Totally academic whatever the position.Quite what us being relegated means for the here and now. I am not sure! Perhaps being in the Championship rules you out of the equation entirely. But even if not I would assume, with our relegation clauses, our wage bill was well below what looks like the £56m base for the season just gone, and so we could now raise our wage by more than £4m.

[/quote]

Presumably all the contracts that had relegation clauses in them they would also have promotion clauses which now see the wages revert to their previous level? If not then mcnally will have some fun and games to deal with this summer![/quote]I would think so too, Jim, but I doubt our income for this coming season will be much higher than in the relegation season. So I would not expect wages to be sharply higher than they were then. I would imagine they will revert to whatever they were, plus the usual kind of annual inflation.Overall I suspect the two seasons will be pretty similar, financially, although this time - one hopes, we will have to pay out bonuses for staying in the Premier League...