Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Dame N'Doye

I''d take him in a heartbeat. He''s a good player, not great and not a guy that''s going to assure survival by himself. Works hard, not the most clinical finisher but he''s not Grabban there either. Strong enough and has the quality to play in the PL. I''d like this move. Maybe he''ll make the move this time rather than last.

[quote user="jaemae2"]I''d take him in a heartbeat. He''s a good player, not great and not a guy that''s going to assure survival by himself. Works hard, not the most clinical finisher but he''s not Grabban there either. Strong enough and has the quality to play in the PL. I''d like this move. Maybe he''ll make the move this time rather than last.[/quote]Wow. Snap him up. A striker that runs around a lot but doesn''t score. Just what the club needs.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="jaemae2"]I''d take him in a heartbeat. He''s a good player, not great and not a guy that''s going to assure survival by himself. Works hard, not the most clinical finisher but he''s not Grabban there either. Strong enough and has the quality to play in the PL. I''d like this move. Maybe he''ll make the move this time rather than last.[/quote]Wow. Snap him up. A striker that runs around a lot but doesn''t score. Just what the club needs.[/quote]

Had the same amount of goals from play as all our strikers combined in the PL 2 years ago in 15 games. I know reading is difficult. I didn''t say he doesn''t finish, but try again. He also doesn''t run around that much. He''s not Grabban.

Are you one of this very bright people that think EVERY SINGLE CHANCE has to be a goal? If you are, bravo.

You''re hardly selling him with that ''glowing'' report. Sounds like he''d do well in the MLS and that''s about it.

Because he''s not a great player. He''s a very good one and someone that has the ability to play in the PL which is more than can be said of the strikers we had 2 years ago. He''s also cheaper than 2 of those. He''d need help, he''d do a better job than RVW/Hooper/Elmander. He was probably Hull''s best striker last year (this is bias against Jelavic I have, who is probably one of my least favorite PL players in the past 10 years). He had a couple of hilariously bad misses, but he also managed to find the net in various ways. He''s also OK in the air. He isn''t the brightest soccer player, but a good player to have on a team. He''d need help from the MF and someone like Jerome pitching in 4-6 goals and we''d prob. be OK in the goal scoring department.

I''d take Abel Hernandez over N''Doye due to the fact he''s younger and has more ability and strenght, but he''s also likely more expensive. He was extremely poor in the PL though last year, and has some of the same problems as N''Doye. N''Doye is what he is, at the right price which 4mill is right around, not a bad signing if it would happen. He''s being chased by quite a few other PL teams though for a reason. I''m sure a Russian/Turkish team would overpay for him too.

One of the reasons why Hull went down was because they struggled to convert good possession into goals, this guy is certainly no better than Gary Hooper, he''s a journeyman with a moderately decent record in lesser leagues, no better than donkey Murphy of the scum. Please move on & hopefully this rumour will go away!

Except he was only with Hull 3 months. Yeah, he wasn''t the problem. Jelavic and Hernandez were.

It''s also quite hilarious if you think the the guy that scored 2 more goals from play in 17 less games and 11 less starts, isn''t better than Hooper, that''s amazing.

"jaemae2"

Except he was only with Hull 3 months. Yeah, he wasn''t the problem. Jelavic and Hernandez were.

But you''d still take Hernandez over him?:|

Neither does Hooper demand £50, 000 per month.

If true, it''s preposterous for a striker who is not even top-drawer.

Kick this idea into touch, asap.

All this constant talk of Hooper is galling. He has an important part to play for us next season, IMO. if only from the bench to rescue a losing cause.

It is the Premier League. It is a squad based league more than any other. The more striking options the better. Every goal is gold dust, every situation must be catered for.

Hooper fits the bill exactly for a club in our position and should we get a.n.other striker, I would still want him on our books.

Ditto Grabban, for now.

It is really the futures of Lafferty and RVW that we should be devoting more column inches to.

[quote user="Herman "]"jaemae2"

But you''d still take Hernandez over him?:|[/quote]

Is that the same Hernandez ''4 goals in 25'' he must be shot hot in training, seem to remember Jelavic missed run in with injury?

[quote user="funny old game"][quote user="Herman "]"jaemae2"

But you''d still take Hernandez over him?:|[/quote]

Is that the same Hernandez ''4 goals in 25'' he must be shot hot in training, seem to remember Jelavic missed run in with injury?[/quote]

Only because he has growth and potential. At 4 Mill, sure which is nowhere near his price range, so moot anyway. In the 3-4 mill range that''s about right for N''Doye. I already said Hernandez didn''t look great last year and N''Doye was arguably there best striker.

Given Hull players are not used to winning, we should be very, very careful. N''Doye looks OK, but do we just want ''OK''? Doubt it - especially as those silly wages may well upset the applecart. By comparison, West Brom are looking at Demba Ba who, let''s face it is a significant step up from N''Doye.

Hooper should be retained for sure - he has link-up play and goals in him. Exactly what we need!

Robbie Brady at Hull is ex-Man Utd, so knows a previous winning mentality - he''d likely do very well under Alex Neil...

We need a starting striker. Ba would be an excellent shout. It is regrettable, indeed, that we no longer have the stature to compete with clubs such as West Brom.

We need to get it into our heads that (as outrageous as it may seem to us) £50k a week is no longer outrageous in the context of the premier league. Players at the likes of Villa will be on more than that and I read that Swansea are paying their new signing £90k a week.

Last time we were up we were one of the lowest payers with the top players reportedly on around £40k a week. if we are going to be competitive in the transfer market we are going to need to up that over the next couple of seasons.

At the top 6 clubs £100k plus a week seems to be almost the "norm" now for first team players. Its ridiculous/sickening but that''s how it is.

IF therefore we genuinely want this player then wages of £50k a week should not really stop us getting him.

The reason we can''t compete with WBA is that we haven''t been in the PL for a sustained period of time , max 3 seasons and then we drop out . They have been in the PL for 5 seasons now and have been able to build up a reputation and subsequent finances... Should we succeed and stay in the PL for the next 5-6 seasons we will be competing with them no doubt... it''s all about the money...

Spot on Jim. The broadcasting income applicable to 16/17 is a step change higher than that of today, as indeed are the associated parachute payments, especially for newly promoted clubs that survive more than one season. Player valuations and wage demands will inevitably rise to reflect this new equilibrium.

We are at least three starting players short of a 17th, or better, finish. If we assume Bournemouth and Watford go down, we need to finish above Leicester who have recently signed the excellent Huth on a permanent deal. With the investments being made by the clubs we might traditionally regard as part of the ''relegation mini-league'', this looks set to consist of only four clubs this season.

In our three seasons in the Premier League we were placed consecutively 19th, 17th= and 17th in the wage league table. It is a fair guess that again this season we will be in the bottom four or five. Anyone expecting us to jeopardise our long-term financial stability by breaking with that policy and trying to compete on wages with richer cubs is likely to be disappointed.

I am not convinced he is better than Grabban or Jerome.

If Jerome plays like he did in the play off final all season, and stays fit, we are looking for a reserve. The man was immense.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]In our three seasons in the Premier League we were placed consecutively 19th, 17th= and 17th in the wage league table. It is a fair guess that again this season we will be in the bottom four or five. Anyone expecting us to jeopardise our long-term financial stability by breaking with that policy and trying to compete on wages with richer cubs is likely to be disappointed.[/quote]

I don;t expect us to do that Purple, my point is merely that even the clubs placed 17th-20th in the wage league table will probably be paying some players £50K a week. Provided the contracts have within them sensible safeguards re relegation (of course whether players agree to those is a different matter) then that should not place our long term financial stability at risk. It merely reflects the ever increasing amounts of money floating around in the premier league and with that set to rocket even further next season I would say its definitely worth us pushing ourselves as far as we can this season to stay in there because the rewards are so enormous.

I don;t agree with the element of the post above saying its a 4 team mini league though. Whilst leicester, palace and Sunderland are the most obvious candidates for the scrap with us, Watford and Bournemouth I think anyone outside the biggest 7 or 8 clubs in the prem are always at risk of relegation if they have a poor season and i certainly don;t think that even sides that would now be regarded as "established" such as Stoke, Swansea, WBA and West Ham have markedly stronger sides than us.

Pretty much agree with all that, Jim - those who think the ''relegation mini league'' will be smaller this season are rather over-egging some clubs - for example I see nothing to suggest huge moves at Villa or Sunderland, West Ham are likely to struggle the longer they progress in Europe. I''m not sure about Newcastle, Palace either - and could go on. There''s any number of sides outside the top 5-6 who could easily have a poor season. We only need to finish higher than 3 of them.

We clearly need to strengthen, as do all sides - and we will; two signings already with plenty of PL experience is a good start. But we shouldn''t forget that we have a squad that ought never been relegated in the first place, with many of those players still here. At the very least we are far stronger, initially, than when we came up last time.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]In our three seasons in the Premier League we were placed consecutively 19th, 17th= and 17th in the wage league table. It is a fair guess that again this season we will be in the bottom four or five. Anyone expecting us to jeopardise our long-term financial stability by breaking with that policy and trying to compete on wages with richer cubs is likely to be disappointed.[/quote]

I don;t expect us to do that Purple, my point is merely that even the clubs placed 17th-20th in the wage league table will probably be paying some players £50K a week. Provided the contracts have within them sensible safeguards re relegation (of course whether players agree to those is a different matter) then that should not place our long term financial stability at risk. It merely reflects the ever increasing amounts of money floating around in the premier league and with that set to rocket even further next season I would say its definitely worth us pushing ourselves as far as we can this season to stay in there because the rewards are so enormous.

I don;t agree with the element of the post above saying its a 4 team mini league though. Whilst leicester, palace and Sunderland are the most obvious candidates for the scrap with us, Watford and Bournemouth I think anyone outside the biggest 7 or 8 clubs in the prem are always at risk of relegation if they have a poor season and i certainly don;t think that even sides that would now be regarded as "established" such as Stoke, Swansea, WBA and West Ham have markedly stronger sides than us.[/quote]Jim, certainly relegation clauses are a must. But there isn''t more money floating around in the Premier League. Not for us, not this coming season. I would guess that our income will be roughly what it was in the relegation season - about £95m or a bit more. (The extra money comes in next season, but then everybody gets that - and most more than us - and in any event it gets swallowed up by higher transfer fees and wages).On that income of £95m we spent £54m on wages. I would expect Watford and Bournemouth to be low payers, but if you look at the teams that were in the real relegation fight last season they were all (based on the figures for the season before to compare with our £54m) high payers - Newcastle at £78m, Sunderland at £70m and Villa at £69m. A bit above them you had West Brom at £65m and West Ham at £64m. There isn''t a comparable figure for Leicester.I agree that any of those teams, plus Palace, could be in a relegation fight (and I agree we have the makings of a competitive squad)  but those figures show we literally cannot afford to compete with some of those big clubs over wages. I am sure the directors will try to push our wages as high as they can but there is a limit. And Demba Ba is almost certainly some way beyond that limit...

There are also restrictions in the Premier League rules about increasing wages too quickly - although not sure of the ins and outs of them. The Premier League set staggered ''Wage Floor Restrictions'' allowing an increase of wages of only £4m per season above a base level.

It might be that Norwich are no where near the base and so don''t need worry, but if they are at it then how much wages and to who they are paid will need to be even more carefully considered.