Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

Has the Mings deal destroyed the market for everyone?

£8m for a player with no PL experience, who isn''t an international and wasn''t even rated as a contender for the Championship team of the year.

On the occasions I saw him, defensively suspect but pacey and sparky. £2m perhaps, £3m at a push - but £8m?

This is like the McCormack transfer last year which effectively halted most moves for the up and coming Champs players - when you get one team being so completely stupid, it destroys the market.

So, will this get in our way? Is Robbie Brady suddenly a £10m player when he was probably only £5m last week?

The Mings deal is a complicated one involving players going in exchange (as well as several payments based on performance). It shouldn''t have a massive effect on the market.

He was always going to be worth a lot more than £2m or £3m though - he was being scouted by several top 6 clubs and is very highly rated by many. Bournemouth have jumped in early and paid a price that secured them the deal, hats off to them.

The way Eddie Howe plays is heavily based around the full-backs getting high up the pitch and contributing to the attack and this is something Mings is very good at - there are also not many around.

Premier League clubs can''t expect to go shopping in the Championship for the better players for a couple of million any more - Championship clubs are well aware of the vast sums of money they have and want a respectable price for their players.

Norwich sold Snodgrass, with one year left on his contract, for over £6m. Why would you expect to get Brady for less than that?

Probably not I suspect.

There was only ever going to be a handful of clubs willing to pay that sort of money for Mings, clubs who otherwise simply won''t be able to get the players they need or want for next season.

As seen last year with McCormack there''s always a chance a real desperado in the Championship might pay through the teeth otherwise it''ll be one of the newly promoted clubs in the Prem. He was never going to come to us so that leaves the other two, ergo Bournemouth have just paid through the teeth.

Hopefully once Watford have dragged someone there to play for them at a vastly inflated price and Bournemouth are all spent out these sorts of deal will quieten down a bit.

As mentioned by many others, £3m to £4m seemed about the level but £8m, really I''d much rather we stayed with what he have and either keep it in the bank or use it to go towards ground redevelopment.

With Harry doing his garden or suffering from gout there will hopefully be a whole lot less of this sort of madness about.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]The way Eddie Howe plays is heavily based around the full-backs getting high up the pitch and contributing to the attack and this is something Mings is very good at - there are also not many around.[/quote]Sounds similar to another manager I can think of... and for the record I''d rather have Olsson than Minger [;)]

Taking off City specs Mings has improved no end in two seasons at the numbers and the market value for him is about right.

Not sure where people value Redmond? Has to be in the 15-20 million bracket? Under 21 international, with premiership experience and bags of potential.

You have to dig a little deeper here.

You would assume the EADT to have a bit of a link to the Club, and this is what they printed today.

And winger Ryan Fraser, along with striker Brett Pitman, could be heading in the opposite direction.

We have been told that Mings, 22, will join the Cherries for a ‘considerable’ fee – a deal potentially worth as high as £8m – with Scottish Under-21 right-winger Ryan Fraser and experienced striker Brett Pitman coming to Portman Road.

So it could be a lot less actual cash, they are no doubt putting a "value" to the players that "could" go in the opposite direction.

ITFC will want a spin on this . They will want their fans to think they are getting a great deal. Let''s try another angle.

Bournemouth are taking a player, and sending out two players - one of which on loan- that they deem not good enough, and the amount of cash changing hands will only become clear when (if) the accounts come out.

Cresswell signed for West Ham for a much exaggerated fee, which was then announced as "undisclosed" by ITFC. Later it seemingly turned out to be £3.75m. We all know where that money went. Or rather where it didn''t.

I doubt it. Matt Jarvis signed for West Ham for about 15 million and we signed Redmond for 2.5.

Similarly, Mignolet moved to Liverpool for about 11million and Chelsea bid about 5million for Ruddy didn''t they? When he was on the cusp of the england team at the time.

Think its all relevant.

Yeah, if it''s players going the other way then there''s plenty of scope to inflate the value both ways.

Having watched him 4 times this season I think he''s got the right physical attributes and plenty of potential, but struggles with reading the game, which may improve but may not. He was capable of stopping Redmond 1v1 but Redmond learned how to play around him and he wasn''t able to deal with it.

[quote user="Nicko"]I doubt it. Matt Jarvis signed for West Ham for about 15 million and we signed Redmond for 2.5.

Similarly, Mignolet moved to Liverpool for about 11million and Chelsea bid about 5million for Ruddy didn''t they? When he was on the cusp of the england team at the time.

Think its all relevant.[/quote]

I meant relative.