Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Colchester

What are you expecting from this game?

personally, i think the players should really show what they are made of after a poor performance. Worthy has already blasted the players for the last performance (see official site), so im hoping we will have a good tally of goals.

Not so worried about the result but the three things I do want to see are 

1  our players approaching the game as if they can earn a place in teh starting line up against  coventry

2 a striker actually finding the back of the net (preferably NOT Ashton as that would suggest we are TOO reliant on him)

3  Worthy having a close look at Greg Halford & doomcaster making an offer...

OTBC

a much better performance that southend!

A good 9 goal bashing, and the making of us looking like a premiership side like we should.

Anything less and we are slacking, i doubt we will be in top-5 come christmas at this rate.

And clsoer to home, i think milan will thrash us!

Why should we expect a 9 goal thrashing against Colchester, Southend or any other side?  Those sort of victories tend to be restricted to non leagues sides and even in cup competitions (where the lowerleague side is up for the game) wins by more than 3 goals are relatively rare?

It is this sort of expectation that gives West Ham fans their very poor and arrogant reputation - we must avoid the same arrogance - with it we could get relegated despite the solidity of the squad...

OTBC 

ok, maybe an over statement zipper!

but we should still well beat them, be all over them at all times!

To be honest I''m not EXPECTING anything against Colchester. As far as I am concerned pre-season friendlies are meaningless.

However there is one thing I am HOPING for and that is no injuries! Some people on here seem deflated by the Southend game but I can remember a pre-season friendly there a few seasons ago when Bellamy got an injury that ruled him out for the season.

THAT was a disaster (in footballing terms anyway). Despite the recent signings our squad is still a bit on the thin side and the one thing we really can''t afford at this stage is injuries. A 2-1 friendly loss to Southend is soon forgotten - a cruciate ligament injury to one of our top players wouldn''t be!

[quote]a much better performance that southend! A good 9 goal bashing, and the making of us looking like a premiership side like we should. Anything less and we are slacking, i doubt we will be in top-5...[/quote]

AJ, don''t mean to quibble, but we''re not a Premiership side... we''ve got some Prem-quality players, but we''re not in that league any more remember.... let''s not get arrogant about our position - 9 goal thrashings are a bit much to expect in a pre-season friendly which is all about fitness rather than the result.

The next two games are important in respects of players showing Worthy they''re, erm, worthy of a place come Aug 6th, and I''m sure Worthy will be looking to use as many players as he can this week, but as I stated yesterday, no one is going to completely bust a gut less than two weeks before the start of the season!

They can play how they like against Southend, Colchester and even Inter, as long as they turn up against Coventry, which I''m confident they will, personally....

need to win this one. and put in a stylish victory and a must is a clean sheet with docherty and shacks hopefully being our centre back pairing for this game and the rest of the season.

id just like to see a team similar to the one that will take the field against cov play together and look like a quality outfit.

Money, i agree with you comments.

Aslong as we do well in the league i dont care, but i think we should still act as a premier league club, as surely that is where we should really be! I dont think i could put up with another 9 years in this leage. Obviously it wouldn''t be 9 years this time, but personally id rather get back into the premier league sooner rather than later!

As for a 9 goal drubbing i did ammend that, it is abit far-fetched! But we should still out play them by far. 

[quote]To be honest I''m not EXPECTING anything against Colchester. As far as I am concerned pre-season friendlies are meaningless. However there is one thing I am HOPING for and that is no injuries! Some pe...[/quote]

Good point Rosario, however for the confidence of the fans and at the same time to the confidence of the players, a victory would be very crucial and potentially start us back on our winning ways.  Afterall, winning is a habit!