Sign in to follow this  
CanaryfromtheStates

Potential lineup 15/16

Am I in the minority in thinking that we need to play two strikers next year? This formation would hopefully include Gary Hooper in the starting lineup. I don''t like all of these rumors of him leaving and still firmly believe he is one of our best players and has the potential to have a big breakout season this year (think Charlie Austin).

I hate 2 up front, so its a big no from me.

pink''un posters seem to love a good 2 up front, but its changed a bit over the last 2 years, so you wont find quite as much support for this idea as you once would have.

Two up front in the premier league away from home at the likes of Chelski and Man City is just not going to happen. It will be a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 type formation with Tetley and Mulumbu sitting.

There maybe occasions at home where we might go two up top especially if we are behind in games. Just cannot see us starting games with two strikers.

But I do rate Hooper very highly and would love to see him given his chance in the premier league, where he fits in I am just not sure!

I think Hooper is alright but I also think he''s our most overrated player.

Didn''t even make it off the bench at Wembley. If he was that good he surely would have done.

Prefer 1 up front - but the midfield needs to support and find the back of net regularly.

Also allows you to play Hoolahan just off the striker. Big Cam played the lone striker role perfectly at Wembley.

Neil has three successful seasons based completely on hard work through a 4141 system - I really cant see him changing it now.                     RuddyYedlin  Kaboul  Bassong  Olsson                     TetteyRedmond Howson  Mulumbu  Brady                Grabban/+1/Gestede

I also think that t wo up front will be a rarity. Variations on a 5-man midfield to include, 4-2-3-1 (particularly at home), 4-3-2-1 (away) and the 4-1-4-1 against certain teams. With our current players the 4-2-3-1 could be:

Ruddy ,

Whittaker, Martin, Bassong, Olsson

Howson, Mulumbu

Redmond, Hoolahan, Johnson

Jerome

Away from home, the 4-3-2-1 could include both Tettey and Mulumbu, at the expense of Wes. The wild card this season is Odjidja-Ofoe, who could be the one to have a breakout season, IMO.

[quote user="GJP"]I think Hooper is alright but I also think he''s our most overrated player.

Didn''t even make it off the bench at Wembley. If he was that good he surely would have done.[/quote]Bit of a weak argument, we were 2-0 up so why would he bring Hooper on? And yes I understand Grabban was brought on but he plays a different game to Hooper, more energetic and closing people down. Pretty sure if we were losing you''d have seen Hooper on the pitch

But we weren''t losing.

It was a Wembley Final and we didn''t need him.

I think we will rarely see two up front in a league where teams sometimes play with no strikers at all.

The key will be mobility and flexibility in our midfield, and I expect our midfield to outscore our strike-force.

AN says that we set out to win every game, but I do not think this will be based on just scoring more goals than the other team (which was PL''s approach).

I expect us to try and turn defence into attack as quickly as possible, with almost anyone given the licence to go forwards with someone else moving to cover the space they leave behind.

So I expect to see the fullbacks playing as wing-backs at times, and to see lots of cut-backs and shots from the edge of the box.

Jerome''s run into the box for our second goal at Wembley took Ayala with him, leaving Redmond unmarked. I expect this style of play to be our Plan A.

So one up front for me, with Redmond given a roving role.

I thought that playing Wes and a roving Redmond would be too risky and leave our midfield overstretched, but the play-offs have shown that this can work very well in the right situation, but probably not against the top 4 clubs.

Im going for a 433 from

Ruddy

Yedlin

Van Dijk

Jenkinson

Richards

Brady

Cousins

Mcarthur

Murray

MBokani

Gestede

I hope you''re joking.

Being realistic:

Ruddy

Whittaker Bass. Martin Olsson

Tettey Mulumbu

Hoolahan

Redmond Johnson

Mbokani

Being ambitious:

Ruddy

Martin/ Yedlin van Dijk Bass. Olsson

Tettey Mulumbu

Redmond Hoolahan Bradley Sako

Jerome/ Mbokani

With a bench along the lines of:

Rudd

The other RB

The other ST

The other LW

Howson

R Bennett

Dorrans (Vadis if he breaks out)

Ruddy

New RB

New CB

Bassong

Olsson

Tettey

Mulumbu

Redmond

Hoolahan

Johnson

New ST

Rudd

Martin

New Winger

Dorrans

Howson

Jerome

Grabban

Thinking maybe Hooper, Wolfwinkel, Lafferty, Turner and one of either Odjijda or O''Neill will be moved on.

I will be very surprised if Vasis is "moved on" . With interest in two new strikers, and hopefully van Djik, I can see all the rest surplus to requirements. Hooper being the makeweight in the van Djik deal.