Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Eng U21s & Redmond

He''s playing an awesome game, worryingly! We really need to keep him for this season, he could be humongous for us this year!

Liverpool sell Sterling and get their £50 mil, then they will come knocking. Wouldn''t take less than £15 mil with sell on clauses.

I didn''t realise England were playing, I thought it was just an excuse to talk about Harry Kane for 90 minutes.

Second half we stink.

It was just like watching a Hughton team. I think he, Southgate and Pearce must have attended the same coaching courses.

It was dire, but over 90 minutes Redmond was England''s best player, agree his value is rising, we need to keep him this season IMO, another year of improving by playing regular he will be worth £25m (not yet, in a year)

Interesting to compare not with Hughton but Neil. Our players behind the lone striker are very mobile and flexible in their positions allowing, it feels , greater attacking options and creating uncertainty in the defences eyes.

I thought england were relatively rigid in their approach and similar not only to Hughton but also Adams and so suffered for it.

However I do think that englands prime problems were with the personnel; ward-prowse and more so carroll & Chalobah were unimpressive and looked a little lost; put simply bettered by the portugal midfield who dominated the central area and so the game

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Interesting to compare not with Hughton but Neil. Our players behind the lone striker are very mobile and flexible in their positions allowing, it feels , greater attacking options and creating uncertainty in the defences eyes.

I thought england were relatively rigid in their approach and similar not only to Hughton but also Adams and so suffered for it.

However I do think that englands prime problems were with the personnel; ward-prowse and more so carroll & Chalobah were unimpressive and looked a little lost; put simply bettered by the portugal midfield who dominated the central area and so the game[/quote]Have to agree with most of this post but this was not a typical England U21 performance.Berahino was a big loss, we did not adapt to having Kane in the side with his different style of forward play.We are not a long ball up to the striker style team, we put it on the deck and play through the opposition by quick passing and movement off the ball.Stones organises the defense and sets the back line, he is also comfortable with the ball at his feet, Moore is nowhere near the player Stones is.Southgate set the team up badly and failed to change the formation when it was clear that they were dominating the midfield and our back line were too deep.Southgate must have seen that Plan A was not working well but was happy with a draw, only when we went behind did he change things and push for a goal.Disappointing result and disappointing set up but not a total disaster, the game was fairly even and could have gone either way.

Completely agree that Berahino was an enormous miss - would have added some great penetration that was missing

Likewise can only agree that John Stones was missed.

Both have prem experience and are simply better than the replacements - most sides at these finals would have missed their experience and ability.

Likewise agree that we needed to respond to the dominance portugal were showing in midfield despite in theory being a man lighter.

Not particularly great this game, first half anyway. Lawrenson not overly impressed. But then again he is a sour faced git.

It''s been mentioned, but the tactics for this team is all wrong, what a dire game. I still think Liverpool will be in for him once they''ve sold Sterling?

Molly Windley wrote the following post at 19/06/2015 10:34 AM:

ZippersLeftFoot wrote:

Interesting to compare not with Hughton but Neil. Our players behind the lone striker are very mobile and flexible in their positions allowing, it feels , greater attacking options and creating uncertainty in the defences eyes. I thought england were relatively rigid in their approach and similar not only to Hughton but also Adams and so suffered for it. However I do think that englands prime problems were with the personnel; ward-prowse and more so carroll & Chalobah were unimpressive and looked a little lost; put simply bettered by the portugal midfield who dominated the central area and so the game

Have to agree with most of this post but this was not a typical England U21 performance.

Berahino was a big loss, we did not adapt to having Kane in the side with his different style of forward play.

We are not a long ball up to the striker style team, we put it on the deck and play through the opposition by quick passing and movement off the ball.

Stones organises the defense and sets the back line, he is also comfortable with the ball at his feet, Moore is nowhere near the player Stones is.

Southgate set the team up badly and failed to change the formation when it was clear that they were dominating the midfield and our back line were too deep.

Southgate must have seen that Plan A was not working well but was happy with a draw, only when we went behind did he change things and push for a goal.

Disappointing result and disappointing set up but not a total disaster, the game was fairly even and could have gone either way.

Are you related to Molly Bennett Molly?😄

I''m really pleased we have. I know Redmond had a quiet game, but to be fair he didn''t exactly set the world alight in the second half at Wembley. The longer the tournament goes on the more his stock will rise.

Hopefully firststeps.I could simply be making excuses but maybe these kids are just knackered. They''ve nearly all played full seasons, and in Nathan''s case, barely had a break.Anyway, got the three points so won''t be too negative.

A very lacklustre performance all round. OK end of a long season but they are young fit lads and I believe many are not first team regulars. Have to say the overall quality of the football was poor. Nathan was played out of position, the purpose seemed to provide some close support for Harry Kane. Frankly he did very little and I cannot recall him taking on a defender for the whole of the game. If AN had been in charge he would have blown a fuse !!!

The U21s have a set plan of playing 4-2-3-1 and keeping possession - this is instilled across English youth football now to try a prepare young players for International football. Basically ripping off the idea from Germany who made all levels of the German team play the same style so there were no issues when transitioning from youth team to first team.

However, it does seem the FA is preparing England''s current youth players for the football played at the 2014 World Cup - it might be more prudent to think how football might be played in future tournaments.

As for earlier comments of Redmond to Liverpool if (when) Sterling is sold - I think they will stick with Jordan Ibe and bring in someone of a higher level from somewhere in Europe. Southampton, or a club of that kind of stature, would seem the most likely move for Redmond, if he is to move this summer.

No excuses, Redmond was poor tonight and will be lucky to start Wednesday against the Italians. Never got involved in the game, didn''t get chalk on his boots let alone take anyone on, far too often coming infield to make short sideways and backwards passes, totally ineffective. He wasn''t alone mind you.

Chalk another poor performance mainly down to Southgate, what was he thinking?Brings Will Hughes into the side along with Pritchard, agree with that as Pritchard had an impact against Portugal when he came on and Ward Prowse had a bad game and Lingard faded.  But then he asks  Pritchard, Redmond and Hughes to play a fluid 3 behind the striker with the result that Redmond looked lost and Hughes spent more time on the right wing than Redmond. Off the ball runs were poor and interpassing slow and sideways, players didnt know where their team mates were or where they should be. Fluid formations are meant to confuse the opposition but if they have had time to set the two banks of four in defence because of the slow build up all it serves to do is confuse the attacking players. Why he didnt keep Redmond right where he links well with Jenkinson and Pritchard left to link with Garbut I do not know. Hughes, Caroll ( who has had two awful games) and Chalobah should have formed the fluid midfield triangle with one sitting and two pushing on. Thankfully Stones can come in to replace Moore (not his fault but he really is out of his depth) and he will have the skill and confidence to play the ball forward to a midfielders feet. He has to drop Caroll and play Loftus Cheek and tell the lads to move it quicker and express themselves in the final third. Any reason why Keane isnt playing?  Ings looks a better player for the formation and style we are playing, Southgate hasnt got the bottle to play him ahead of Kane though.We didnt play like this all through qualifying, why has he changed it now?

Yep, love Summer tournament football Firststeps, the ladies World Cup and the U21s Euros been a good watch so far...

Redmond must get more involved tonight and take players on.

He has made a good start. Back four look a bit iffy! If England do progress Redmond will have a very long continuous footballing spell. I know he''s young, but he''ll need a rest for sure.

[quote user="ruthers1"]Disaster we''re 2 down and going out.[/quote]Good, more rest for Redmond before the new season.

I''m a little torn - agree with Morty that it would be good to see Redmond get a proper rest and pre-season with us rather than being over there, but we''re in it and should be showing how good we are.....which certainly isn''t happening so far! Awful defending for the goals, little urgency in response, I do wonder if in part it is that some of the players are ''ahead'' of themselves and think they are better than they actually are?

Good, more rest for Redmond before the new season.

He''s had plenty of ''rest'' playing in this tournament Morty.

Doesn''t put enough of a shift in for me and doesn''t go forward enough when he gets the ball at his feet. Commentators picking up on the fact tonight that he tends to take the easy option and pass backwards rather than take players on when he gets the ball in dangerous positions.