Sign in to follow this  
6088m canary

South American talent

Do we actually bother?A lot of decent players out at the Copa America and the vast majority play for fairly average sides.Just looking at yesterday´s Peru side, both Farfan and Guerrero could be fantastic acquisitions for what i imagine would be a reasonably small sum (the kind of cash we look like spending on the likes of mbokani for example).Farfan is getting on a bit but so was Hucks when he joined.  Could play in any of the 3 positions behind the lone striker or even up on his own.  Most of his career in Holland, european experience, speedy, trackas back, scores, assists.....Oh and if we could please go out and get Valdivia :)

[quote user="6088m canary"]Do we actually bother?A lot of decent players out at the Copa America and the vast majority play for fairly average sides.Just looking at yesterday´s Peru side, both Farfan and Guerrero could be fantastic acquisitions for what i imagine would be a reasonably small sum (the kind of cash we look like spending on the likes of mbokani for example).Farfan is getting on a bit but so was Hucks when he joined.  Could play in any of the 3 positions behind the lone striker or even up on his own.  Most of his career in Holland, european experience, speedy, trackas back, scores, assists.....Oh and if we could please go out and get Valdivia :)[/quote]Can anyone ''in the know'' explain the work permit rules for non-EU players? I know there used to be a stipulation about having played a certain percentage of their nation''s international matches in the previous (year? two years?) or something. How easy would it be to sign South American players, and would they have to fulfil any criteria in order for the work permit to continue (playing a certain number of games, for example)?

I think many south americans arrive through latin country passport arrangements - I think italy and argentina and brazil and portugal for example may have some sort of dual passport scheme which means that you can gain an EU passport (I think portugal also have a scheme where you get a portuguese passport if you buy a house over a certain value in excess of a certain figure, maybe €0.5m. Anyway - I think that is a reason why so many south americans can qualify.

As far as home office qualifying rules for employment are concerned I am not sure; although it appears to have a direct correlation with the size of the club asking for a work permit; allegedly

The previous rules stipulated that non-Europeans must''ve played in 75% of their country''s international matches in the previous two years and that nation to be ranked in FIFA''s top 70.

Greg Dyke has changed that however to work on the variable ranking below over a two year period, or 12 months for U21s.

FIFA 1-10: 30% and above

FIFA 11-20: 45% and above

FIFA 21-30: 60% and above

FIFA 31-50: 75% and above

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]The previous rules stipulated that non-Europeans must''ve played in 75% of their country''s international matches in the previous two years and that nation to be ranked in FIFA''s top 70.

Greg Dyke has changed that however to work on the variable ranking below over a two year period, or 12 months for U21s.

FIFA 1-10: 30% and above

FIFA 11-20: 45% and above

FIFA 21-30: 60% and above

FIFA 31-50: 75% and above[/quote]Cheers Iwan, very helpful.So hypothetically, we could sign a Brazilian/Argentine/Colombian/Uruguayan U21 who has only played a third of the U21 internationals in the past year, and they would get a work permit? Doubt that''s the route we''d go down, but a little injection of continental flair in the final third might be an enjoyable gamble...

Work Permit rules have changed from this season and are slightly more confusing. They are very much based of FIFA rankings, which is a bit ridiculous when you consider their accuracy.

Players are still required to have made a certain amount of international appearances, but this is now a staggered rate not the flat rate of before - it also applies to the last 24 months, not 12 months (unless a player is 21 or younger). It''s also worth noting some games don''t count towards the percentage, Confeds Cup for example doesn''t.

The staggering is as follows

FIFA 1 - 10 rank: 30%+ of games

11 - 20: 45%+

21 - 30: 60%+

31 - 50: 75%+

The rank is the average over the last 24 months, not the rank on the day of application.

The big loop hole is players who cost more than £10m or earn over £60k a week automatically qualify for a work permit. The exceptions panel will still exist, although not reliant on ''expert'' opinion any more - but looking more at facts, which league the player is in and why he hasn''t achieved caps being two major factors. The previous panel would often hear testimony from managers saying how amazing the player they wanted to buy is - my favourite quote being Gordon Strachan calling Koki Mizuno ''the best winger I have ever seen'', when trying to sign him for Celtic.

I suspect there will be legal challenges if clubs are refused permits for players they feel should get one, so it might all change yet again over the next few years.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

The big loop hole is players who cost more than £10m or earn over £60k a week automatically qualify for a work permit. [/quote]

So there is the proof that the rules are bent in favour of the big rich clubs.

Yes and No, ZLF.

The FA have stated these rules aren''t to stop top quality talent coming in, just the many average non-EU players that arrive and block English talent.

The argument is that top clubs won''t spend more than £10m on a player, or pay him over £60k if he is average. They will also have to comply with FFP rules that hit overspending.

Rich clubs will pretty much always benefit from systems and rich clubs always do. If you have lots of money you are well ahead already. The wage threshold was introduced under pressure from the Government who don''t want to see high worth individuals stopped from entering the country.

However, fiddling with work permit rules to help develop English talent is a pretty pointless exercise when it doesn''t have any baring on EU players. Stricter rules on home-grown players and more funding for coaches at grassroots is the only real way of making much of a difference.

Seems us football fans embrace a multicultural society. Perhaps we should Iobby MP''s to relax the immigration laws we still have.

Well done together ;)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Seems us football fans embrace a multicultural society. Perhaps we should Iobby MP''s to relax the immigration laws we still have.

Well done together ;)[/quote]

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Seems us football fans embrace a multicultural society. Perhaps we should Iobby MP''s to relax the immigration laws we still have.

Well done together ;)[/quote][/quote]Well that didn''t work. I was trying to insert an image of a can of worms opening, so I dragged said image into the window and that shew up alroight. Then when I clicked poost, thass gorn.Anyone care to indulge me in my hour of need and explain in layman''s terms how I might add an image to my post?Attempt at humour FAIL

Liverpool used the South Americas - continental Europe loophole to their advantage when they signed Chilean Marc Gonzalez and loaned him to Real Sociadad (?) for 2 years, thus entitling him to dual citizenship and bypassing the permit system.

I''m very surprised that this model hasn''t been used more by English clubs. Unless it has and either a) I haven''t noticed or b) it''s been done under cloak and dagger.