Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

IF Francis Leaves.......

Do you think Worthy will?

a) sign another bargain midfielder to just bolster the squad and use Jarret or Hughes as his replacement?

or

b) splash a bit of money out on a midfielder for the team?

[quote]Well if I was Worthy i would sign a defender or right midfielder and use Jarrett as he is a ready made replacement.[/quote]

But that would leave us very light in central midfield cover.  Jarrett seems a bit injury prone as is Safri and add to that the African cup of nations.  That would leave Hughes as the only recognised CM in the squad.  We need to replace what leaves, I don''t disagree with buying a right-winger but I think we need a direct replacement for Francis.

With Charlton being tried (seemingly successfully) in midfield, Worthy maybe looking at him as cover should two of Jarrett, Hughes, Safri be unavailable. I hope Worthy spends any money on a tall defender to alleviate the pressure on Shacks, or as second priority a right winger with some zip.

As I''ve said elsewhere I would like to see any money from the sale of Francis be split three ways and be spent on a central defender, a right winger and a replacement central midfielder.

However, don''t forget that Brennan can do a pretty reasonable job as a central midfielder in this division - as indeed he did for a few games in the season we were promoted.

I think, given the fragile finances of the footballing world, we should spend as little as possible on some quality (as Worthy is used to!) and save at least a million for January, just in case...........

What top midfielder is Worthy going to find in 11 days , there are not that many floating about, he must have been quite confident Francis was staying to come out and say he was going nowhere.Now with Francis almost certain to go Safri always injured the midfield is looking decidedly weak,maybe we will see Charlton lining up there and keep the money.If we really want to get back to the top flight NOW is the time to make a couple of big signings, no more makeweights .Take away Green (who would go if a bid come in ) Huckerby and Ashton (who may yet tempt a big offer) and this squad is beggining to look like a run of the mill Championship side.

Personally I''ve not been this happy since we beat Man Utd. I agree with Evil Monkey that we should hold some of the money back for January when we have a better idea of how this season is turning out.

It all depends on how much we get for him - the last offer was only £1.4m and Steve Sidewell was last valued at £3m - Damo has shown he is prem standard and city must not sell us short.

Assuming at least £2m (anythingless is an outrage given his & the length of his contract) I agree with Mr Rosario - central midfield (or two) the right winger and possibly a central defender.  

OTBC

I think Sidwell will be out of our price range, but I agree we need strengthening in area''s like cm and rm. We could also do with adding a cb, does anyone think that Primus might be coming in the opposite direction to Francis?

I think Sidwell will be out of our price range, but I agree we need to add to central midfield and right wing. We also need a decent central defender, does anyone think that Primus might me coming in the opposite direction to Damo?

Paul Mckenna, Derek Riordan, Kris Commons, Jan Kristiansen..............any of these would make me happy. A centre-mid is not our top priority even if Franny goes. We have Safri, Jarret, Hughes, Brennan, And Charlie who can all play there and when we get promoted we can buy a much better midfielder for more money. However we dont have a natural right-winger at the moment apart foem Hendo so IMO we should sort this first.

Green

Colin Doherty Shacks Drury

Hendeo Jarrett Safri Hucks

Ashton Mckenzie

The week link is Hendo.