Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

strikers

Looking at last season ,our strikers struggled,Hooper,lafferty ,jerome,and grabben struggled to perform and get goals,only jerome came good near the end.

Do you think this strike force will be up to premiership level?

IMO I think we need a proven premiership or championship striker to give us a chance ,also defence needs a strong leader with experience . Would like to think our squad will come good but have doubts.

Time to go into transfer or loan market to enable new players to settle in.

Agreed KS.

We are entering a Premier League season with our best ever choice of strikers ... not ever though.

Remember Steve Morison, who actually managed to do quite well, but that would appear to have been exceptional for him.

Remember Wilbrahan who won us over with his effort in the end, but that was it.

Remember Simeon Jackson, a little diamond in the Championship but never quite up to the top level.

Remember Kai Kamara who we thought would be our saviour, but his flame dimmed rather rapidly..

Remember RVW but enough has been written about him on this forum lately.

Remember Elmander who was class gone by, put in the effort, but it was not a difficult farewell.

Remember James Vaughan who spent a year being treated by the Club and then wanted out.

Remember Harry Kane who was just too raw at the time to be a creditable option.

Our present crop of strikers is streets ahead of any combination of that lot.

Only Grant Holt has really succeeded to any extent at the top level, but we cannot resurrect him.

Having said that in praise of the ones we have, I still would want a decent addition, and while Max Gradel would do for me a few others already mentioned on this forum would fit the bill.

Still think we will be bring in a new one.

And will be the end of RVW and Lafferty.

Dunno where Hooper stands tho.

bone man

sounds a little like true grit and the 5 million others name he uses

our strikers did well last year when not scoring they helped out for others to score either directly or indirectly

[quote user="Oh Cameron Jeroooooooome"]Still think we will be bring in a new one.

And will be the end of RVW and Lafferty.

Dunno where Hooper stands tho.[/quote]I think Lafferty is very underrated........

If the improvement in our strikers, especially Jerome, cannot be seen since the arrival of AN I would be amazed.

Jerome is now playing better than anyone in the Premiership has seen him play.

He has always had promise, strength, ability and pace, hence his 10 England U21 caps. He has now been transformed into almost the finished article and he will surprise many defenders, who have played against him in the past, and that surprise could pay handsome dividends for us.

Thats a big statement Yellow Wall. I hope you''re right as I really like Jerome - a masterstroke buy from Adams surprisingly enough.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Looking at last season we scored 88 goals from which Jerome, Hooper and Grabban scored 44.

[/quote]

Now now Nutty, don''t let stats get in the way of what people''s eyes tell them when they watch our games.

;-))

Well Trevor, I''ve had bees in my guttering as well. Apparently they''ll move if it gets too hot, so you''re right, come August they should be gone.

If anybody needs any other tips or advice on bees, just let me know.

Buzzar.

Sprinkle the bees with water and at the same time say , in an authorative voice....... ''GO BACK TO YOUR ANCESTORS''. Works every time.

Jerome played better for us because he dropped down a league !

We can hope one of our current crop make the jump and can hold their own and but likely 2 of them won''t find their form (Grabs, Hoops, Jerome) so I''d be happy to buy a striker with a bit more class than the current crop and leave the others to fight for a place in the team.

It is funny because most teams being promoted with a striker who scored 20 goals last season would be excited about seeing how they do- Ings and Austin adapted without issue.

However it is difficult to shake the worry that none of our strikers are quite good enough- Jerome and Hooper have both struggled at Prem level and Grabban to me seems to lack the ''finesse'' you require at the top level.

I want us to buy a striker as I do think we need to improve but I would love to see Jerome step up and get 10-12 goals next season and prove he can cut it at the top level.

I agree that we should be in the market for another striker, but have fewer concerns over Jerome than I do Hooper. Jerome doesn''t seem to have really been played as an out and out striker in the PL so he deserves a chance; Hooper meanwhile has only really been a bit-part player for us so far - in both PL and Champs. It is odd that he''s been with us 2 seasons but it is hard to tell quite whether he is up to it.

Hooper is indeed an odd one, however with a bit more time and space on the ball like with Wes I think the Prem will actually suit Hooper very well.

He has our best minutes/goals ratio of any striker at the club last season, he deserves a chance for that alone. He''s also a good finisher - Alex Neil will no doubt get the best out of his players and I think Hooper would like the chance to prove himself, same as Jerome