Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Chris Martin

Always thought he would return to PL one day, class performer. Was disappointed when we released him.

Wrong time to sell him at any price.

With the squad you are now accumulating (Ince has just come on board permanently?) you should be virtual red hot favourites for the title.

All clubs pick up the occasional bargain and make mistakes of equal enormity.

Eg. Norwich City with Grant Holt and then with Van Wolfswinkle to counter balance that.

Good luck and thump ghe binners x2.

It was an unlucky situation for us to release Chris Martin when we did. The club IMO are not to blame as this was a period when the club was outgrowing many decent players.

In hindsight I''m sure City would have kept him as I think he has the potential to be a decent Premier League striker.

A large proportion of Norwich seemed to be against Martin right from the word go.

Present at a fight at 18 years old and got barred from 1 pub (thus meaning he was barred from all in the area) and he was suddenly an aggresive alcoholic with a big time charlie persona in the eyes of Norfolks finest. Then their was the sly dig from the Rodent which didn''t help change fans perceptions.

Ever since then everytime Martin had an average (I don''t think I ever see him play horrifically) performance in a City shirt it was down to his bad attitude.

It''s strange because as professional footballers go they don''t come much more down to earth than Chrissy Martin.

Would almost be a similar situation as Chelsea had where they let Matic go as part of the swap deal for David Luiz, only to end up re-signing the guy 3 years later for £21 million!I''d certainly not be averse to Martin returning, although I do wonder how he''d fit into the current system.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Oh! You are a Canary OP. You came over as a Derby supporter with your slight gloat.[/quote]I think you were right first time.Chris Martin needed to leave to further his career, which  he did with aplomb. We could have kept him on the books but carried on sending him out on loan, which was lokking to stall his developement or do the right thing for him, and us at the time, and let him go. Yes we didn''t get any money for him, but that''s football sometimes.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="BroadstairsR"]Oh! You are a Canary OP. You came over as a Derby supporter with your slight gloat.[/quote]I think you were right first time.Chris Martin needed to leave to further his career, which  he did with aplomb. We could have kept him on the books but carried on sending him out on loan, which was looking to stall his development or do the right thing for him, and us at the time, and let him go. Yes we didn''t get any money for him, but that''s football sometimes.[/quote]^^^This.Are for the few people gurning after the fact, I don''t remember anyone making that much of a fuss about it, at the time.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="BroadstairsR"]Oh! You are a Canary OP. You came over as a Derby supporter with your slight gloat.[/quote]I think you were right first time.Chris Martin needed to leave to further his career, which  he did with aplomb. We could have kept him on the books but carried on sending him out on loan, which was looking to stall his development or do the right thing for him, and us at the time, and let him go. Yes we didn''t get any money for him, but that''s football sometimes.[/quote]^^^This.Are for the few people gurning after the fact, I don''t remember anyone making that much of a fuss about it, at the time.[/quote]I think STAN summed it up as well. There was a few that stood up for Chris but mostly a big, fat ''MEH'' greeted his departure.

Chris Martin went out for nothing while Elmander came in for one just one season, hailed for possessing the holy grail of ''premiership experience''. I''d rather that we had kept Martin on and given him some games that season, he was at least worth a place on the bench.Plain and simple it was a short-sighted decision whereby many failed to appreciate Martin''s ability.

[quote user="93vintage"]Chris Martin went out for nothing while Elmander came in for one just one season, hailed for possessing the holy grail of ''premiership experience''. I''d rather that we had kept Martin on and given him some games that season, he was at least worth a place on the bench.Plain and simple it was a short-sighted decision whereby many failed to appreciate Martin''s ability.[/quote]Easy with hindsight though, isn''t it?

I think he went for about £400k. You would like to think we included a sell on % on his next transfer.

It is indeed astonishing how amazing people can get things "right" with 20:20 hindsight. The fact is Martin pretty much needed to go, we didn''t have a spot for him and he had well known issues locally. The fact does remain that we have either been in a higher league or finished higher than his club each season. That he has come on as he has he should be congratulated for, but the club has nothing to be "blamed" for in missing out.

It was clear at the time that CM needed to go for his own sake. He appeared incapable of maintaining his fitness and controlling his weight (remember Di Canio''s verdict when CM went on loan to Swindon). The move to Derby provided the motivation he clearly could not summon up either here on during his loan spells. Is he a reformed character in that respect? I don''t know. It takes a lot of very hard work and strength of mind to keep that sort of problem at bay year after year. I wouldn''t bet on it myself.

[quote user="STAN"]Swansea, Palace, West Ham and Newcastle apparently.[/quote]Out of those four I would almost rule out Swansea - they typically play the lone striker with nippy wide men and an AM. They have Gomes and Emnes and have just added Ayew and Eder as well so can''t see them signing Martin as a priority or as a first choice player.West Ham and Newcastle are boarderline. West Ham have a number of strikers on their books too with Carroll still likely to be a first choice if he remains. They also have Zarate, Maiga Valencia and Sakho. However with Bilic arriving I could see him trying to establish his own squad and changing things about. The same goes for Newcastle who have Cisse, Gouffran, Riviere and at least a couple of others. This could be a link simply because of Maclaren. That said, I think you could say he would at least have a chance of playing in that side - as with West Ham.Palace would be the one where I would say he could virtually walk into the starting line up. They didn''t really have a greatly outstanding striker last season.It will be interesting to see where he does end up because I always rated him and felt that given the oppertunities he could be back in the premier league and even carve out a successful career there. What he needed was regular games after a combination of injury and Hughton, to prove he could cut the mustard and I think he has.£7million is probably about right for a homegrown striker in the Championship who has scored over 20 goals in a season.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]It was clear at the time that CM needed to go for his own sake. He appeared incapable of maintaining his fitness and controlling his weight (remember Di Canio''s verdict when CM went on loan to Swindon). The move to Derby provided the motivation he clearly could not summon up either here on during his loan spells. Is he a reformed character in that respect? I don''t know. It takes a lot of very hard work and strength of mind to keep that sort of problem at bay year after year. I wouldn''t bet on it myself.[/quote]This would be the Di Canio who has been heavily criticised by players for being incredibly and unrealistically strict on diet and fitness? Sorry, wouldn''t take his word for it.And as for incapable of controlling his weight? Where the bleedin hell would you get that information from? I suspect that if any of our players were that horrendous they wouldn''t pass their tests when they return after the summer or during the season and wouldn''t play?The reality is that he was a regular for us up until promotion to the premier league. I believe he suffered an injury during the promotion season and then found it hard to get back into the side. It is also worth pointing out that when he left us he was only 24. I would expect any youngster from the age of 16/17 through to mid 20''s to change in shape as they fill out etc. I would never have said he had an issue with controlling his weight.A quick google image seach almost shows the opposite of your argument to be true IMHO. He''s a solid chap, tis all.

To be fair Miggins he was injured for a good bit of his time while he was here , and we were in the prem .

He is one of the subjects on which I feel very differently to you . Although I respect your opinion , and agree with plenty that you do post .

....the main problem when he was here is we rarely, played him up front. He was usually isolated on the wing etc.

At home against Ipswich in the promotion season he was central, and we saw a couple of flicks in the box, and lots of clever play which was the hint of what he shows at Derby every week.

He was my favourite player when he was here and I''ve followed him closely at Derby.............he is an utter machine, 70 odd consecutive games playing every minute, huge strike rate, huge huge assist rate, an absolute leader with amazing vision and skill and the team ethic is in his veins..................................he learnt an awful lot from Grant and added all of that to his game, he''s as slow as Grant but he''s one of the best examples of what footballing brain can give a player.

Derby fans adore him.

If we had him instead of Elmander he would''ve scored at least 7, with ease.

I''d offer 10 -12 million for him.

Can somebody let me know whether it was Delia''s decision to let him go or was it David McNally then I can make my mind up whether it was a good or bad move ? [;)]

I always thought he was a good player but a yard short of Premiership class. Some of the fees being bandied about are really quite ridiculous.

Barclay seats 48/49 the 3rd wrote the following post at 03/07/2015 7:29 PM:

To be fair Miggins he was injured for a good bit of his time while he was here , and we were in the prem .

He is one of the subjects on which I feel very differently to you . Although I respect your opinion , and agree with plenty that you do post .

----------------

and very beautifully put sir.