Sign in to follow this  
Sebastian Asspong

Charlie Austin

Eddie Howe prepared to pay 14m! Bournemouth must have loads of money considering they spend a ridiculous 8m on Mings too! Charlie Austin and Van Dijk should be our top targets for sure. Austin would be a great signing. If Bournemouth can spend that surely we could too?

Indeed. The issue isn''t - Have we got £14m to spend? The issue is - Should we spend £14m on Austin? The answer is no, he''s had one good season in the PL.

It''s the same with Mings. Is he worth £8m? No, he probably worth about £3m.

£8m for Van Dijk would be a fantastic buy imo

I wouldn''t want to get drawn into a bidding war for him with Newcastle, your either going to waste time and miss out on other targets or end up paying a huge fee and wages....

Austin is good, but not 14 million and probably huge wages good....

Austin would not get enough goals in Neil''s preferred system. I''m sure there are better options for that sum out there.

That said the way Bournemouth play football might be an inspired signing if they can land him.

Without a starting striker, and a strengthened defence, we shall swiftly return to the championship. £14m for a striker, with a track record of PL success, to secure £120m++, I think it''s the type of deal we simply can''t afford not to do.

They might well do, but Neil won''t play two up top, unless we are behind and chasing a result.

I can see a target types like Crouch or even Whickam type signing. We have Hooper and Grabban who can play a second striker role.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Without a starting striker, and a strengthened defence, we shall swiftly return to the championship. £14m for a striker, with a track record of PL success, to secure £120m++, I think it''s the type of deal we simply can''t afford not to do.[/quote]That £120m figure (which in any event is dubious) includes the parachute payments so only makes any kind of sense if we get relegated straight away. Which I rather thought you were arguing against. Still at least you didn''t mention Neil Lennon this time.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]QPR have put a price on his head of £15 million ![/quote]

They''d be better off selling him than having him killed, in my opinion.
However 15 million is 15 million, I''ll be back later, just off to buy a gun Indifferent [:|]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Highland Canary"]Without a starting striker, and a strengthened defence, we shall swiftly return to the championship. £14m for a striker, with a track record of PL success, to secure £120m++, I think it''s the type of deal we simply can''t afford not to do.[/quote]That £120m figure (which in any event is dubious) includes the parachute payments so only makes any kind of sense if we get relegated straight away. Which I rather thought you were arguing against. Still at least you didn''t mention Neil Lennon this time.[/quote]
But surely if we don''t get relegated, another season in the Prem is worth more than parachute payments, so it''d be worth more than 120mill...

Striker is by far the trickiest acquisition for any PL club (as we have previously discovered) and particularly any new PL club.

15mil for Austin seems high, but in the end if he fits your system and gets you 15+ PL goals it''s potentially money well spent, it''s not like he is worthless if you do go down either as is clearly being shown.

That being said I''d be surprised if we paid anywhere near this sort of money for one player and I''m not sure Austin is the player to justify it.

At the moment he has only had the one season in the PL and could well prove to be a one-season wonder; I''m certainly not convinced and would not be happy at blowing that much on him.

What would you prefer. Someone''s who''s been a success in the PL, even it''s it''s one season.

Or an unknown European or Championship player with no PL experience?

[quote user="Indy"]They might well do, but Neil won''t play two up top, unless we are behind and chasing a result.

I can see a target types like Crouch or even Whickam type signing. We have Hooper and Grabban who can play a second striker role.[/quote]

Peter Crouch anyone ?

£14m? Yes I would take the plunge. He is still quite young so we would get either a decent fee or a few years out of him and he is as close as we will ever get to replacing Holt. He would be an ideal signing if we could buy him. If he got double figures again this year, £14m would be nothing.

I''ve wanted us to get Austin since he was at Swindon.

Out of "realistic" targets I can''t think of anyone better.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Highland Canary"]Without a starting striker, and a strengthened defence, we shall swiftly return to the championship. £14m for a striker, with a track record of PL success, to secure £120m++, I think it''s the type of deal we simply can''t afford not to do.[/quote]That £120m figure (which in any event is dubious) includes the parachute payments so only makes any kind of sense if we get relegated straight away. Which I rather thought you were arguing against. Still at least you didn''t mention Neil Lennon this time.[/quote]
But surely if we don''t get relegated, another season in the Prem is worth more than parachute payments, so it''d be worth more than 120mill...
[/quote]Absolutely. Roughly speaking our income this coming season will be what it was in our relegation year, with the Premier League part of that being between £65m and £70m. If we stay up then the PL part will rise to about £95m. But it goes in one door and out the other, because we are now paying PL transfer fees and PL wages.

[quote user="Indy"]Austin would not get enough goals in Neil''s preferred system. I''m sure there are better options for that sum out there.

That said the way Bournemouth play football might be an inspired signing if they can land him.[/quote]

Bournemouths style isn''t too dissimilar to ours!

He''s also ruled out a move up north.

Think he''d be a bloody brilliant signing.

I also think that Charlie Austin would be a " Holt" type player .

I agree that £15 m is such a lot of money , but who else seriously would you buy ? I do not go along with Grabban or Jerome playing alone up front theory ,, never going to get us the goals we need ,,, remember that we got relegated because of lack of goals , we definitely need to strengthen in defence as well , but the most crucial thing is to score goals .

Don''t we have enough of all this premier league money to spend 20million on a player?

Plucky little Bournemouth weren''t so plucky after all were they

Do you think there''s a chance they''ve got a big money backer?

Can you say "QPR 2: QPR HARDER"?

Tell me about it kiwi.

It''s honourable to say "let''s give the boys a chance that got us there" but we need to add quality to the squad.

Austin would guarantee 10 goals which could mean a finiancial windfall next season with the new TV rights.

This league is ruthless.

yeah I see what you''re saying. Although spending £14m on Austin is outrageous in terms of what he is actually worth, the fact is that we also get a lot of money just by being the PL and if it is deemed that we are weakest in the striking department, perhaps overspending just to get the right player in, may not be such a negative thing after all if it ensures that we have a regular PL goalscorer; something which is hard to find.

I guess if we have the money available, then why not buy him? Perhaps the real question is where we need to invest in the most and how much we have available to us. We don''t need to spend much on cover at LB, however we do need a left winger. The defence for me is the biggest issue, yet its also goals which win you games....I''ll leave it to Alex Neil, I''m sure he''d be pleased to know.