Sign in to follow this  

"Norwich City club record signing Ricky van Wolfswinkel is now in

discussions with former club Sporting Lisbon over personal terms after

the clubs reportedly agree a transfer deal, according to Dutch media on

Monday afternoon.Dutch football magazine, Voetbal International, claim the Canaries

are ready to sanction van Wolfswinkel’s return to Portugal after it

emerged last week the Lisbon club were keen on recruiting their former

striker, who they sold to Norwich in 2013 for a reported initial fee of

£8.5m.Portuguese newspaper A Bola stated City were demanding 5m euros

(£3.8m) for the forward to cut short his Carrow Road stay prior to the

weekend with talks already underway with the Dutch international’s

representative, Louis Laros.Van Wolfswinkel spent last season on loan at French club St Etienne and is due to link up with Alex Neil’s squad this week.The striker has two years left on his current Norwich deal."Link here...

Bye!

I seem to remember that he was valued by them at £18m (don''t laugh) but that they had to sell him cheaply because they needed the readies. Also, didn''t we pay in advance to secure the deal and ensure them much needed finance?

Have they got a new benefactor or will the money come on the drip (@ about 10 Euros per month probably?)

Other than that, it would seem to be a terrific outcome for all parties.

Great news! I''m one of those that doesn''t rate him at all.

1M loan fee last year, almost 4M from this transfer and we''re only looking at about a 5M loss inc wages.

Yes that''s a lot for a poorer club like ours but in PL terms it''s a drop in the ocean, especially when compared with the likes of Torres, Carrol, Osvaldo, Cornelius, Pogrevnyak etc etc etc

I was worried we''d be forced to let his contract run and lose him for free, thank you Lisbon!!!

I''d love to have seen RvW come good for us this season but keeping him on the books was always going to be a huge gamble as he''d have been eating away at our wage budget.

It looks like it''s the end of an error rather than an era, fare thee well Ricky.

[quote user="lappinitup"]"Norwich City club record signing Ricky van Wolfswinkel is now in

discussions with former club Sporting Lisbon over personal terms after

the clubs reportedly agree a transfer deal, according to Dutch media on

Monday afternoon.Dutch football magazine, Voetbal International, claim the Canaries

are ready to sanction van Wolfswinkel’s return to Portugal after it

emerged last week the Lisbon club were keen on recruiting their former

striker, who they sold to Norwich in 2013 for a reported initial fee of

£8.5m.Portuguese newspaper A Bola stated City were demanding 5m euros

(£3.8m) for the forward to cut short his Carrow Road stay prior to the

weekend with talks already underway with the Dutch international’s

representative, Louis Laros.Van Wolfswinkel spent last season on loan at French club St Etienne and is due to link up with Alex Neil’s squad this week.The striker has two years left on his current Norwich deal."Link here...

Bye! [/quote]We shall see (although we probably won''t, given the usual reticence and/or spin...) but I would have thought €5m was very much the upper limit of what we might expect to recoup, and it could well be less. But the deal itself should happen. The notion that van Wolfswinkel might make our 25-man squad was the triumph of sentimentality over realism.

Broadstairs -

They''ve had a cash injection from a new board member, allowing them to poach Benfica coach Jorge Jesus.

There could still be a currency rate issue, the pound is going to get super strong against the Euro for a while. Might make it hard for Sporting to match RvW''s wages (will also mean any agreed fee gets smaller by the day in terms of GBPs).

If this is true its great news. Add the loan fee last season and we have only lost £3m plus a year of wages for what proved to be a nightmare deal.

Good luck to him, he seems a nice guy, it just didn''t happen for him and the loan deal last season showed he wasn''t as bad as he showed for us but still nowhere near the level required either.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]There could still be a currency rate issue, the pound is going to get super strong against the Euro for a while. Might make it hard for Sporting to match RvW''s wages (will also mean any agreed fee gets smaller by the day in terms of GBPs).[/quote]Conversely, that should work in our favour if we are looking to sign any players from abroad.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]There could still be a currency rate issue, the pound is going to get super strong against the Euro for a while. Might make it hard for Sporting to match RvW''s wages (will also mean any agreed fee gets smaller by the day in terms of GBPs).[/quote]Conversely, that should work in our favour if we are looking to sign any players from abroad.[/quote]It was never like this in the old days, when buying a player from Scotland was seen as exotic. Now we have to study the foreign exchange markets, and take into account whether our targets are with a club in the Eurozone or not...

RvW is ever only going to be effective if you''re spoon-feeding him chances. He hasn''t the physique or attributes to create anything for himself. Just not suited for the English game you feel.

Cutting our losses is about the best we could expect. A shame for both parties that it didn''t work out but you can''t expect every transfer to be a winner. We''ve had duds before and I expect we''ll have them again but this is probably the most expensive one.Its all swings and roundabouts.

If we get anything like £3.8m for him we should bite their hands off. I doubt it''ll be that much.

A shame it didn''t work out but far better to take the loss now than later and have him adding to the wage bill while hanging around in the stiffs in the meantime.

Sporting are getting a bargain when a 32 year old championship striker with no Champions league record is demanding a 4.5 million fee and a one season wonder at QPR is 15 million!

I am firmly in the camp that he is not a bad striker, just a bad time and he will find form again.

It just has not worked, like when Mike Sheron arrived, Kyle Lafferty, Elmander etc.

It can happen to anyone and we have had it with many players, yes Ricky has cost a lot but it does not mean that we should be wary of investing in European talent. We have had as many British players flop as those from overseas.

We went down last year as all players performed at a level not good enough. I wish him well and if this move goes ahead then I hope we have another striker lined up.

As said centre half and right back are critical, striker and goal scoring midfielder are also needed.

I wish Ricky well as he certainly didn''t shirk away from his responsibilities just nothing came off for him.

[quote user="smooth"]goal scoring midfielder are also needed[/quote]Yeah, must replace that Bradley Johnson........

But Indy, Austin demonstrated his ability to score in a poor Premiership team, RvW did not.

If this deals goes through it''s the best the club could currently hope for.

Hmmmmmm not convinced it''s worth 15 million gamble but then I''m just a little old fan with no influence just an opinion 😃

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="smooth"]goal scoring midfielder are also needed[/quote]Yeah, must replace that Bradley Johnson........[/quote]

Yes lappin you are right we need another goal scoring midfielder.

Howson got 9, Johnson with 15 is very good in the championship we need a good return from our midfield next season.

If injuries and suspensions come in and a team out of form then you need goals from the midfield.

No doubt last season we had pals coming from a large number of players at different times in the season and that is what you need.

We need a goal scoring midfielder to join our group rather than replace.

[quote user="smooth"]We need a goal scoring midfielder to join our group rather than replace.[/quote]Johnson, Howson, Tettey, Wes, Redmond, Andreu, Josh Murphy, Jacob Murphy, O''Neil, McGrandles, VOO, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Thompson.Do you honestly feel we need another one, bearing in mind Alex Neil he expects Andreu to play a bigger role this season, plus he''s also got a record of giving youngsters a chance.

Lapping they all can''t play at once!!!

Mcgrandles won''t play, the murphys maybe,

Howson, Johnson, tettey, mulumbu, Dorrans, hoops and hopefully VOO will play

Redmond is our only wide threat, Thompson and Andreu we will see.

But yes I would expect another wide player who has pace and can be a danger in this league. Otherwise we could be 1 dimensional going through hoops or if Redmond is in the line up through him.

If either one gets injured then we could be in trouble.

We need a centre half if not two, a right back, striker andwide midfielder.

We may get a few move on, certainly with loans

I think o''neill is an important player, great experience level head and a bright player.

Long season

If we are reliant on O''Neil & Andrue this coming season will be a long one!

Both nowhere near Premiership quality and hopefully moved on before the season starts. Dorrans, Mullumbu, Howson, Tettey, Redmond, Johnson and Murphy supported by Thompson & McGradles should be more than enough.......then there''s Wes!

Not the worst player to ever play for Norwich City, but definitely the biggest disappointment that I can remember apart from perhaps Drazen Muzinic.  A Dutch international who would fall over if a zephyr brushed him the wrong way.
I remember us being strongly linked with Robbie Earle before he signed for Wimbledon and we ended up with Barren Dickford.  If only we had signed both, or just Earle.
All things considered, he was little better than Raymond De Waard.