Sign in to follow this  
Dave

The late great Roy Waller

5 years ago yesterday this great man passed away, Radio Norfolk match days have never quite been the same since.

Its time he had a place in the NCFC hall of fame

Like so many of us, some of my earliest NCFC supporting memories were of listening to Roy''s dulcet tones on the airwaves with his unique commentary style.

My favourite memory of him though is during the civic parade in 2004 where he was roaming St Stephen''s St with us fans and my grandad asked if he''d speak to my mum on the phone (who couldn''t make the parade due to being pregnant). He spent around 2-3 minutes chatting and describing the scenes, given how many years he and all of us fans had waited for that sort of day it was so generous of him to stop what he was doing and make my mum''s day.

RIP Roy.

It may have been the very early hours and nobody nobody was told but he did keep his promise of running through the market naked if we signed Hucks. NCFC through and through.

[quote user="True Grit"]RIP Mr Waller, a legend who''s sorely missed.[/quote]

Lovely man of norfolk, world would be a better place with a few more like him RIP Roy

My favourite commentary memory of Roy was in a league cup game against Bradford that we eventually won 5-3 AET. If memory serves me correct, we were 3-2 down with a minute of normal time to go, when we were awarded a penalty. Robert Fleck placed the ball and the commentary when something similar to this:

"Robert Fleck steps up......... he shoots, he scores, but he''s missed!"

I remember laying on my bed, tense as hell, wondering what the heck had happened. I loved Roy''s commentary. He managed to make the most boring 0-0 in history sound like the most exciting game of all time.

For the record, I think he did miss, but we still found time for an equaliser and went on to win. Someone may have to correct me though.

Rest in peace Uncle Roy

[quote user="DC"]My favourite commentary memory of Roy was in a league cup game against Bradford that we eventually won 5-3 AET. If memory serves me correct, we were 3-2 down with a minute of normal time to go, when we were awarded a penalty. Robert Fleck placed the ball and the commentary when something similar to this:

"Robert Fleck steps up......... he shoots, he scores, but he''s missed!"

I remember laying on my bed, tense as hell, wondering what the heck had happened. I loved Roy''s commentary. He managed to make the most boring 0-0 in history sound like the most exciting game of all time.

For the record, I think he did miss, but we still found time for an equaliser and went on to win. Someone may have to correct me though.

Rest in peace Uncle Roy[/quote]
we did indeed miss the penalty... there was also controversy as the referee blew for full time as Ashley Ward''s header was looping in... he gave the goal as well which cause all kinds of confusion...
Roy gave us some fantastic moments "it''s a low cross... and up go the heads!" and "Drury has Kenton in Space, there''s 3 men round him" stick in my mind particularly!

Roy had so many of his own sayings, three that spring to mind are "he fly kicks the ball", "it''s an up and under" (he must have also been a fan of Rugby League) and in true Norfolk dialect "acrorst the pitch."

When Chris Goreham took over from Roy it took a lot of getting used to at first but I have to say that I now think that Chris is a better commentator and with all due respect to Roy he also seems to have a better knowledge of the game.

Co-incidently although I never met Roy personally I did speak to him on several ocassions on the phone, sold him a shower for his bathroom too.