Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Penny pinching...

What concerns me a little is the combination of not paying market prices (overinflated as they may be) for British players, along with the ''Buy British'' mentality/apparent distrust of signing players from abroad. One or the other might be fine - We can stick to British players IF we''re prepared to spend the money; or we can go out and look for cheap bargains - but they pretty much don''t exist on these islands, so we need to be focusing our scouting abroad. Doing neither could leave us paying over the odds for some average and over-rated players. (Every time we''re liked with Jordan Rhodes, this thought flashes through my mind...)

It''s entirely possible of course that everything McNally says is misdirection, and we''re actually preparing bigger bids than anyone lets on and/or lining up fantastic players from far-flung countries... and the signing we HAVE made, Mulumbu, is a great piece of business. I''m not hitting the panic button yet; might start to worry more if we''ve not signed anyone decent inside the next 2 weeks...

[quote user="andyc24_uk"]What concerns me a little is the combination of not paying market prices (overinflated as they may be) for British players, along with the ''Buy British'' mentality/apparent distrust of signing players from abroad. One or the other might be fine - We can stick to British players IF we''re prepared to spend the money; or we can go out and look for cheap bargains - but they pretty much don''t exist on these islands, so we need to be focusing our scouting abroad.[/quote]There are some good British players but the cheaper ones tend to be younger and from the lower leagues. It''s the older and more experienced ones from premier league sides which are dear.But you''re right in that the recipe we''re following of buy cheap, buy British is increasingly difficult to follow. It wouldn''t hurt if the club made a bigger effort to scout Europe, the potential savings would easily justify the investment.

Todays rant from Steve Bruce only confirms my fears. NCFC seem to be adopting a risky policy. Great if it works but we will lose targets if it doesn''t.

2.5 million was a silly offer in todays market for an international player with premier experience. I can see why Hull are cross. Let us hope it pays off...lest we get gazzumped.