Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Penny pinching...

Yes I know it is early days. Yes lots could happen. But....Alarm bells are ringing with news that NCFC are refusing the asking price for Brady.

Now it could be a game of cat and mouse and we are being clever. I hope so.

But I do feel that we have to just accept that Prem prices are silly now that the extra cash arrived. If Mings is costing 8million then less money for Brady seems reasonable to me. He is twice the player.

Bottom line is that the quality we need is not going to come cheap....if we look in the bargain bucket then we can wave bye bye to this league.

History shows that penny pinching and grabbing up the freebies in this division is suicidal.

Let''s wait and see what happens in the coming weeks before we make that assumption. Who''s to say the stories are even correct on what we''ve offered. We like to keep our deals quiet and that''s a good thing. So let''s see what happens, I still expect to see at least another 5 new signings through the door.

GK

RB

LB/LM

CB

CF

Paying over the odds for players is far more suicidal though.

QPR and Hull both provide the perfect examples of why throwing money around doesn''t mean anything.

In Norwich''s first season in Prem under Lambert and Hughton very little was spent to achieve 12th and 11th place.

Brady only has one year left on his contract and Hull know they will have to sell him this summer if they want to get any kind of reasonable price for him, as the days tick by his price drops. No need to splash £7m in the first few days of July.

Love those memories of our seasons finishing 11th and 12th

we were not guaranteed survival till very late on and stumbled over the line. I do not think AN would have the same.

Wigan''s cup final run helped us out

It isn''t just odd £s here and there we''re talking about, it is £m''s - ie more than many of us will ever see/earn in several lives!

I''d rather not miss out on players that we want for the sake of a (relatively) small amount, but nor should we pee away money unnecessarily.

Alarming indeed OP where is all the money going I keep asking and have yet had a reasonable explanation

7 million is peanuts nowadays for a prem player. Villa will step in and steal him mark my words.

We need a Director of Football in straight away to sort this mess out

I think its more to do with the overall wage cap.I can''t see any big signings coming in until we have shifted a few high earners, but we could be a bit more ambitious and look like we are trying.

Oh yeah, we definitely want the rep of a club that will bend over backwards and accept grossly inflated valuations for players.

Bloody hell, try and think about things.

We were told quality over quantity this transfer window , Premier league quality wont come cheap seven or eight million for a player really is the bottom end of the market .

Brady is simply being touted to all prem clubs, no question and as we can see no-one has bit yet.

For me we will be looking at our number 1 targets and working on those in a very dignified manner. Certainly I hope we are in discussions with Celtic with Virgil.

If he is our number 1 target. As said we need to add those three to four players that add great quality and that is of a fair value. However we do need cover, goalkeeper and potentially left back.

But centre half, right back, striker and attacking midfielder are worthy if they have a track record. Playing in the premier league and not really making an impression and being 7 million. No thanks. Do it in the championship and prove it.

I''d rather spend 1.8million on L Pod and give him 5 million in wages over 2 years. We need proven quality not some two bit pretender, hype job from hull.

[quote user="True Grit"]I''d rather spend 1.8million on L Pod and give him 5 million in wages over 2 years. We need proven quality not some two bit pretender, hype job from hull.[/quote]
there''s more chance of them signing a random poster off this board then podolski...

I know, which is why it''s time to change. Time to rally together, rebel and unite against the ingrained culture of mediocrity which hangs over our club like the dark cloud I''m currently looking at over Anglia Square.

The OP needs to remember that our manager is Scottish, so don''t expect him to act like a big time Charlie splashing the cash.If we overpay then we''ll get a reputation as a soft touch and ultimately end up missing out on players. I''d rather miss out by being frugal, than miss out because other clubs want to try and take us for a ride on fees. If we want to spend more on transfers in the long run then we need to avoid overpaying. We need to buy cheap and sell expensive, not the other way round.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="True Grit"]I''d rather spend 1.8million on L Pod and give him 5 million in wages over 2 years. We need proven quality not some two bit pretender, hype job from hull.[/quote]

there''s more chance of them signing a random poster off this board then podolski...

[/quote]

Especially as 3 days ago he signed a 3 year deal with Galatasaray.

[quote user="smooth"]Love those memories of our seasons finishing 11th and 12th

we were not guaranteed survival till very late on and stumbled over the line. I do not think AN would have the same.

Wigan''s cup final run helped us out[/quote]

Not how I remember it. Under Lambert we were effectively safe early on and the team coasted a bit plus some tactical switches like playing 3 at the back didn''t help, but only after it no longer mattered, so to say we stumbled over the line is a massive disservice.

Under Hughton in his first season we were close enough to the drop zone to still be at real risk late on, but a comprehensive win at home vs WBA followed by an away win at Man City gave us a final league position that was hugely flattering, but you can''t call that "stumbling" over the line - well, if it is, I wish we''d stumbled a lot in the following season !

I think that posters'' concerns about our transfer dealings reveal more an impatience with the early weeks of the window than genuine reason to worry.

Our squad was built in the prem and just needs a few tweaks ... As tempting as it to cry every time a rival signs a bench warmer from a big club we should just be patient and trust in the people in the know.

I''m not sure I''ve ever seen more ridiculous statements in two pages on this forum. I''m addressing them in one post so sorry if it''s fragmented.

To those who wanted Podolski - do we really think he''d be motivated to play for us? Would he battle when we need to hang on to a 1-0 away at Leicester or something? Would he consider coming here? Do we want to chuck stupid money at his wages? No.

Just meeting a players valuation is not how negotiating is done. It''s batted back and forth, that''s football/any negotiation in life.

Chucking money at players does not guarantee anything.

What on earth does Alex Neil being Scottish have to do with what he will pay for players?

£7 million is not ''peanuts'' for a premier league player. Clubs have a lot of money now, sure, but if someone gave you fifty grand tomorrow are you telling me you wouldn''t look for the best deal on your new car?

I don''t think you''d have to buy a new car at all if someone randomly gave you £50k, you could just stick the money in the bank.

5 mill max for me on this onebut 7 million in this division is pittance people talking about what hull spent last season should realise they went down due to europa league football land the traveling involved, the competition is a curse.truth is we REALLY need a left winger, we needed one last season, someone with pace to complement redmond and balance out the teams is really important for counter attacking and its something we are going to need to do A LOT OF in the top flight. pay up imospeculate to accumulate

We plucked Anthony Pilkington from Huddersfield, fresh out of a broken leg and never having played above Lg1 level, for £2million the last time we went up. May have been inconsistent, and his star faded badly with increasing injuries, but it''s hard to deny he was pretty important for at least his first season.
We also got Bradley Johnson on a free from Leeds. There are players out there to be found, given time.

But if we aim to consolidate our Premiership status then we need to move onto a different class of player than BJ- who was raw at first and too time to mature into the player he is today- and pilks.

We need to buy four or five players of genuine premiership class else we will soon dip down again. And they do not come free unless you are very lucky. As noted above - it may be silly money- but £7m is not that much today. Entry level really...

Brady only has 1 year left on his contract so £7m seems very high for me. Need to give this one time I think, if he doesn''t want to sign a new contract, he can go for pennies in Jan and nothing at the end of the season. Down to the player ultimately, does he stay loyal to the club who gave him his chances, or jump ship like Snoddy did to us?!

I''m getting anxious about the situation too, but I know it is still early days and it can change quickly... In this case I don''t think it''s penny pinching, we just don''t wanna pay an absurd amount 4 a player with one year left on his contract, if he want''s to leave , he will leave!

What worries me more is the quitening down on the Virgil Van Dijk story and the lack of news related to NCFC in general...but there you go, we''ve got to get used to this time of year...even after 28 years of being a Canaries fan ...

Is Brady the player we need? 2 assists in 32 matches last season is pretty awful. We didn''t do too badly without a left winger last season, I''d rather we played BJ on the left side of midfield again and saved the money for where it''s more important to strengthen-defensively.

Yes, Prem prices may have risen - however the negotiation stance still needs to apply. Unless we want to become the next QPR that is!

Brady is a good player - but is he £7m good? I think we can secure a lower deal than that providing he wants to come here.

Just because Bournemouth spent £8m on Mings does not mean well have to follow suit like lemmings over a cliff.

I suspect we''re keeping our powder dry for Virgil Van Dirk - providing that comes off, we''re likely to attract more players of a similar calibre. We''re supposed to be seeking quality over quantity, so a decent high-profile signing needs to be secured sooner than later to create some appropriate momentum...